Thread: Cleaners and lubricants for co2 pistols

Cleaners and lubricants for co2 pistols

I know that most of them rarely require a clean, but I imagine the blowbacks do.

What do you use on the seals and what do you put on the slide rails.

Airsoft users seem to use silicone oil for everything in their gas pistols.

But what is suitable for guns firing lead pellets or steel BBS?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Pellgun or similar for seals and internals, for slides I tend to use a dab of white lithium grease.

Thanks for the reply.

Moly grease acceptable?
    Arthur

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I used moly and 3in1. Never had an issue. I thought using silicon was an act of madness if there was any kind of metal to metal contact, but saw a lot of people do it anyway.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I know that most of them rarely require a clean, but I imagine the blowbacks do.

What do you use on the seals and what do you put on the slide rails.

Airsoft users seem to use silicone oil for everything in their gas pistols.

But what is suitable for guns firing lead pellets or steel BBS?
    Just rebuilt a Umarex Beretta 92FS.
    I used moly inside on any metal to metal contact areas and on the slide rails.
    B.A.S.C. member

Thanks for the reply.

Moly grease acceptable?
    Moly every bit as good- I have used it in my CP1s (just a dash) to lube the hammer. Perfectly usable on slides.

Many thanks to you all.

I don't understand why Airsoft owners use so much silicone in their guns. I've seen them using it as a general cleaner, lubricating the slide rails with it, even spraying it into the trigger group.

And yet many Airsoft pistols are identical to co2 air pistols made by the same manufacturer, the only difference that I can see being that they use green gas.

Everything that I have read about Airsoft from owners and makers insists that only silicone oil only should be used on their guns.

I'm beginning to wonder why their guns don't seize up. But nobody has ever explained this to me. I well remember the bloke from Theoben warning about the use of this stuff on this forum years ago. Yet Airsoft experience would seem to prove him wrong.

If their guns did gall they wouldn't use it. And makers wouldn't insist on owners using it.
    Arthur

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Many thanks to you all.

I don't understand why Airsoft owners use so much silicone in their guns. I've seen them using it as a general cleaner, lubricating the slide rails with it, even spraying it into the trigger group.

And yet many Airsoft pistols are identical to co2 air pistols made by the same manufacturer, the only difference that I can see being that they use green gas.

Everything that I have read about Airsoft from owners and makers insists that only silicone oil only should be used on their guns.

I'm beginning to wonder why their guns don't seize up. But nobody has ever explained this to me. I well remember the bloke from Theoben warning about the use of this stuff on this forum years ago. Yet Airsoft experience would seem to prove him wrong.

If their guns did gall they wouldn't use it. And makers wouldn't insist on owners using it.
    It may well be that the lifetime of their guns are drastically reduced, but that they put it down to the wear and tear of skirmishing or poor construction...?
    I still won't put it in my guns, regardless of the fact that it seems to be a common practice.
    Good deals with these members

I have seen what it did to an HW barrel pivot joint, it looked like a handful of sand had been thrown in it. I would only use for metal and plastic contact surfaces.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Silicone will knacker steel to steel almost instantly. It works nicely with plastic to plastic, so maybe plastic to steel is OK as well.

Those CO2 guns are made of Zamak or some other kind of monkey-metal without any ferrous ingredient in the alloy, so maybe that is how they get away with it.

There will be some steel pins and things in them, so its not a good idea unless mixed with some moly.