Thread: Shelf life of Viht powder

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..

Shelf life of Viht powder

Some reloading equipment I bought recently came with 3 tubs of N-140, 2 are opened and dated 2006, the other is unopened and dated 2009. The website says they have a minimum shelf life of 10 years,does anyone here have a view on whether it is still ok to use,I'm reloading 6mmbr

Thanks
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

if properly stored then it can last many years.....i am using powder i bought 15 years ago with no issues.
    i even shoot my 8mm mauser with ammo dated 1969 and again no probs.
    try it and see.....
    if you are worried i buy it off ya

My Vit 160 for my 6.5x55 is dated 2003 and it's perfectly fine and my Vit 140 for my 6mmBR is 2009 and it'll absolutely fine as well.

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Shelf Life of Powders

Recently finished my tin of Nobel Rifle #1 Powder. Excellent stuff.
    Using Nobel Pistol Powder #3 for 0.357 U/L. Again a clean burning powder.
    Almost indefinite shelf life if stored correctly.

Al.
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

Just finished a tub with an ‘88 date on it. Stored correctly, you have nothing to worry about.

The powder should be fine if store correctly. I have used powder donated to me that was years old with no problems. If in doubt, make a small batch up to try first.

I've used plenty of powder over 10 yrs old. Never had a problem. How would you tell if its off?

Great comments and thanks to the OP for starting this thread as I've a few tubs of various powders that have not being used for a few years since me buying them due to my shooting changing. What is 'proper/correct' storage?

How suitable would a cool, dry, unused room in our house be?

The UK climate is probably about as good as it gets for power storage. No extreme heat or humidity.

As long as its not stored in the loft the powder would keep for a very long time.

I keep mine in a blackpowder storage box as I don't use black anymore and its somewhere convenient to keep it.

I've a tin of Nobel no.80 from 1983 that seems absolutely fine. No idea what I'll do with it I don't reload for shotgun.

The 10 years come from the single temperature NATO AOP 48 stabilizer depletion test, this is simply a pass or fail criteria, a pass giving 10 years storage in temps of <25'C. In reality the shelf life will be far longer!

So what about the 50 year old mil-surp ammo that people are still using.. that powder is obvioulsy still ok..

vhit

kirkleese guns ( Huddersfield) are still selling 1998 /99 powder @ £75-kg & assure us it perfect .....

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    I've a tin of Nobel no.80 from 1983 that seems absolutely fine. No idea what I'll do with it I don't reload for shotgun.
    It's great for target loads in 38Spl