Thread: information on reloading a spanish rifle

information on reloading a spanish rifle

Does any body load a 11.4 x 57 Reformado.
    I know a few people who load .43 Spanish but not the Reformado.

Quote Originally Posted by TA6319 View Post
    250gr lead bullet - IMR4198 - 32gr - 1220 fps - 825 ft lbs - this is the Lyman mould #454485

395" ball - Fg Black powder - 74gr - 1280 fps - 1435 ft lbs - military load

All data is to be used at your own risk.

Source CoTW 10th Edition

tac

That is from Cartridges of the World :-). Given it is almost the same size as 45-70 and designed to be shot from a Remington rolling block, bottom level loads from a 45-70 (only those designed for a rolling block) would be a good starting place- but won't guarantee safety. Quickload might be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    That is from Cartridges of the World :-). Given it is almost the same size as 45-70 and designed to be shot from a Remington rolling block, bottom level loads from a 45-70 (only those designed for a rolling block) would be a good starting place- but won't guarantee safety. Quickload might be useful.
    Uh, yes. I bleeve I wrote that - 'Source CoTW 10th Edition'.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Uh, yes. I bleeve I wrote that - 'Source CoTW 10th Edition'.

tac
    So you did. Sorry.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I had a brief flirtation with it about 20 years ago, but didn't get any further than throwing a couple of cartridges together to see if it would go bang. Before I started any kind of load development somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse for the rifle and it found a new home in N. Wales.
    What cases are you using in it?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Thanks for the info guys.
    As yet I do not have any cases or molds for it.
    Just gathering information before I decide to put it on my ticket, which looks likely at the moment

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Thanks for the info guys.
    As yet I do not have any cases or molds for it.
    Just gathering information before I decide to put it on my ticket, which looks likely at the moment
    Do Bertram do any cases for it? They are an unusual case, in that they have an extremely thick rim. I don't think there's a modern case that will be convertible.
    Last edited by harry mac; 02-02-2018 at 02:45 PM. Reason: "i", not "a"
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Case for the Spanish Remington Rolling Block cartridge are as follows - ALL from CoTW, 10th Ed. Page 516 -

Case length 2.25"

OAL - 2.82"

Rim thickness - 2.5mm

CoTW notes that - 'Although this cartridge is listed as .43 calibre, the bullet has a base band that is actually 0.454-inch in diameter. The bullet is brass-covered and has a 10-degree bevelled base.' and 'Rim and base diameter are almost identical to the 11.15mm Spanish Remington and cases could be made by expanding and trimming 11.15mm cases'.

Anyhow, failing Bertam in Australia, Henry Krank sells their brass, BTW, which really should be your first stop, but I have a contact in the USA who makes it, too - Bob Hayley in Tx. He will make the 43 Spanish brass. His phone number is (940) 888-3352. Call him in the evenings as he works during the day on his ranch. The last brass price was $1.80 ea. plus shipping. Buffalo Arms is getting $3.00 ea. for theirs. These prices are a few months old so best to call for current prices. His mailing address is: Bob Hayley 211 North River, P.O. Box 889 SEYMOUR TX. 76380

In spite of what you might read here from certain quarters, having good contacts in the USA and Canada can be very useful.

Hope this information helps.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 02-02-2018 at 07:41 PM.

thanks for that tac your a gent