Glevum Target & Sports Club
    is located at Brookthorpe
    near Gloucester, GL4 0UT

24th 25th march 2018
    Air 25 out side and rimfire 25 and 50

http://www.glevumtsc.co.uk/

Colin Evans 07946375613 Text only please

Benchrest

Benchrest is far from easy. We have just started shooting it at 25 yards at our club(bury rifle club) . We shoot in the Cumbria league and also have started our in club competition to run along side the prone comps. Scores have been mixed with not that many 100 .worth giving it a try. We use small bore and air rifles, most with high mag scopes.

I hear plenty of shooters say that they think benchrest is easy. When challenged to prove this by achieving a particular score or entering a competition, they always back out. Without exception, they have always backed out and refused to shoot a benchrest card. Benchrest is very difficult with very tight scoring as the levels get higher. I hope this competition is a success. Benchrest is saving target-shooting in this country by encouraging new shooters and letting elderly or disabled shooters to continue to take part in shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    I hear plenty of shooters say that they think benchrest is easy. When challenged to prove this by achieving a particular score or entering a competition, they always back out. Without exception, they have always backed out and refused to shoot a benchrest card. Benchrest is very difficult with very tight scoring as the levels get higher. I hope this competition is a success. Benchrest is saving target-shooting in this country by encouraging new shooters and letting elderly or disabled shooters to continue to take part in shooting.
    Hear this all the time with all disciplines. Spoken to some people who think HFT is really easy and we are rubbish shooters. When challenged to come and show us how it's done the reply is usually along the lines of, 'there's no point, its too easy'

Wish you all the best with your benchrest competition. I really want to give it a go but got so much on, and nowhere close to shoot

lots of talk no action

hi lots of shooter say how easy
    if its is so easy how comes none of them want to show me
    side by side shooting
    as I said
    lots of talk no action

I shoot in the Rochdale Airgun Club 50m air rifle compt series (3rd Tues of every month). Its certainly not easy.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

rim and air

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Benchrest is the saviour of 22 rimfire target shooting you are absolutely right with that statement.
    There are of course shooters within Benchrest that claim their style of bench is the correct way of doing it
    which to my mind is completely out of order.
    Personally I will shoot any of the benchrest codes,using a bag to support the butt is as far as I see no different to using you fist as a support,rimfire benchrest is fairly easy to shoot no matter which code of benchrest you choose,as most of the NSRA type cards are shot on indoor ranges.Air Rifles are a black horse of a different colour
    And do take some real effort to gain top scores.
    So as a chap I know is fond of saying "just do it".

What am I missing about rim fire benchrest that it has to be shot indoors, while the air rifle benchrest is outside?
    I would have thought the pellets travel slower, hence get blown by the wind more?
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    What am I missing about rim fire benchrest that it has to be shot indoors, while the air rifle benchrest is outside?
    I would have thought the pellets travel slower, hence get blown by the wind more?
    Hi Geoff,most benchrest is shot on indoor ranges in the UK.
    Indoor ranges are what we have,with few clubs able to provide an outside facility to shoot competitions
    Some of our clubs cannot provide the 25 yrd distance so cards are available for 20 yrd comps.
    Postal benchrest comps are what keeps 22 rim and air rifle benchrest alive here in the UK and shooters have
    Many options there is Eley BR,NSRA, and various county competitions running throughout the year.
    All of the above comps are shot on 10 spot cards.
    We have the UKBR22 which shoots 25 spot cards for both air and rim.
    This UKBR22 form of benchrest is shot World Wide,with A World championship held every 4 years and the European Championships which includes the World Cup is shot every 2 years.The WRABF is the covering body
    For this class of benchrest.
    The association for Full Bore Benchrest are also involved with 22 Benchrest and there is also a world Championships
    Held in France each year.
    Opportunities to shoot competition are widespread with shooters from the Uk taking part in competition around the
    the Uk and Europe.
    There are comps to shoot around the UK both indoor and outdoor.We also have our own UK National Championships each year ,this is usually at a club that has both indoor and outdoor ranges,and provides for Air andRim competition's.

benchrest

I have shot Benchrest for about 10 years,I shoot the Midland League and the UKBR22 .
    My shooting is 22Rimfire but I have tried Air Rifle and won a couple of medals.
    The Midland League shoot a 20yd card,slightly smaller 10 ring ,this seems to me to be the way to go for Air Rifles.
    At the shorter distance I can shoot 3or 4 points better than at 25 yds.my own opinion is much air rifles are much harder to get top scores with compared to a 22rimfire shooting.
    High nineties are good I would say and in competition will get you in the medals.
    Indoor shooting is not as easy as it seems as I have found thing like extractor fans
    Change air flow ,hot air ,cold air outside the building can also cause problems.
    Using a bit of cassette tape ect hung from the roof on an indoor range can show changes in air flow.
    As with all shooting being comfortable with your shooting position and your shooting environment is a big part of good shooting.
    In Benchrest the seating position is very important as you should be able to just drop your head to the scope withoutstrain to any part of your body.
    Good rifle,good kit,good ammo,consistent shooting regime,will get you those better scores.John F.