Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To all shooters If benchrest is so easy show me Benchrest competition

These are the new NSRA Benchrest cards if you have not seen them https://imgur.com/gallery/gYJWQ

benchrest

I have shot Benchrest for about 10 years,I shoot the Midland League and the UKBR22 .
    My shooting is 22Rimfire but I have tried Air Rifle and won a couple of medals.
    The Midland League shoot a 20yd card,slightly smaller 10 ring ,this seems to me to be the way to go for Air Rifles.
    At the shorter distance I can shoot 3or 4 points better than at 25 yds.my own opinion is much air rifles are much harder to get top scores with compared to a 22rimfire shooting.
    High nineties are good I would say and in competition will get you in the medals.
    Indoor shooting is not as easy as it seems as I have found thing like extractor fans
    Change air flow ,hot air ,cold air outside the building can also cause problems.
    Using a bit of cassette tape ect hung from the roof on an indoor range can show changes in air flow.
    As with all shooting being comfortable with your shooting position and your shooting environment is a big part of good shooting.
    In Benchrest the seating position is very important as you should be able to just drop your head to the scope withoutstrain to any part of your body.
    Good rifle,good kit,good ammo,consistent shooting regime,will get you those better scores.John F.

Check your inbox!

Quote Originally Posted by raytheham View Post
    Well, we have been bench rest shooting for a season now.Our results are mixed also, hi mag scopes, a mixture of air rifles,.177 and.22 together with .22 rimfire. Our best scores are in the high 90's and an occasional 100, yet, looking at the results from some other clubs I would like to know what they are using, with results all over 100 and many 100.1s. All our bench rest shooters are very experienced so I wonder what we are doing wrong? Any suggestions gratefully received. We normally shoot light sport rifle and regularly in the medals in ORA, MSL and Cumbria Northumberland leagues.

Ray, Chairman
    Wantage Target Shooting Club
    Sent pm. David

Still time to enter the benchrest shoot show us all how easy it is outside

Still time to enter the benchrest shoot show us all how easy it is outside
    Benchrest competition

Glevum Target & Sports Club
    is located at Brookthorpe
    near Gloucester, GL4 0UT

24th 25th march 2018

http://www.glevumtsc.co.uk/

Colin Evans 07946375613 Text only please

rim and air

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    I hear plenty of shooters say that they think benchrest is easy. When challenged to prove this by achieving a particular score or entering a competition, they always back out. Without exception, they have always backed out and refused to shoot a benchrest card. Benchrest is very difficult with very tight scoring as the levels get higher. I hope this competition is a success. Benchrest is saving target-shooting in this country by encouraging new shooters and letting elderly or disabled shooters to continue to take part in shooting.
    Benchrest is the saviour of 22 rimfire target shooting you are absolutely right with that statement.
    There are of course shooters within Benchrest that claim their style of bench is the correct way of doing it
    which to my mind is completely out of order.
    Personally I will shoot any of the benchrest codes,using a bag to support the butt is as far as I see no different to using you fist as a support,rimfire benchrest is fairly easy to shoot no matter which code of benchrest you choose,as most of the NSRA type cards are shot on indoor ranges.Air Rifles are a black horse of a different colour
    And do take some real effort to gain top scores.
    So as a chap I know is fond of saying "just do it".

What am I missing about rim fire benchrest that it has to be shot indoors, while the air rifle benchrest is outside?
    I would have thought the pellets travel slower, hence get blown by the wind more?
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    What am I missing about rim fire benchrest that it has to be shot indoors, while the air rifle benchrest is outside?
    I would have thought the pellets travel slower, hence get blown by the wind more?
    Hi Geoff,most benchrest is shot on indoor ranges in the UK.
    Indoor ranges are what we have,with few clubs able to provide an outside facility to shoot competitions
    Some of our clubs cannot provide the 25 yrd distance so cards are available for 20 yrd comps.
    Postal benchrest comps are what keeps 22 rim and air rifle benchrest alive here in the UK and shooters have
    Many options there is Eley BR,NSRA, and various county competitions running throughout the year.
    All of the above comps are shot on 10 spot cards.
    We have the UKBR22 which shoots 25 spot cards for both air and rim.
    This UKBR22 form of benchrest is shot World Wide,with A World championship held every 4 years and the European Championships which includes the World Cup is shot every 2 years.The WRABF is the covering body
    For this class of benchrest.
    The association for Full Bore Benchrest are also involved with 22 Benchrest and there is also a world Championships
    Held in France each year.
    Opportunities to shoot competition are widespread with shooters from the Uk taking part in competition around the
    the Uk and Europe.
    There are comps to shoot around the UK both indoor and outdoor.We also have our own UK National Championships each year ,this is usually at a club that has both indoor and outdoor ranges,and provides for Air andRim competition's.

Thanks.
    I may look into a summer postal league although I think our tunnel is classed as outdoors.
    Thanks - Geoff.

The club I go to shoots 25y, 50M & 100yd benchrest comps 22lr all outdoors either from some covered firing points or outside benches if the weather is ok.
    Out of interest is there a handicap put on clubs that use internal ranges or is in all based on gun score regardless?

James

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    The club I go to shoots 25y, 50M & 100yd benchrest comps 22lr all outdoors either from some covered firing points or outside benches if the weather is ok.
    Out of interest is there a handicap put on clubs that use internal ranges or is in all based on gun score regardless?

James
    That's an interesting question to which the direct answer is "no". The first thing to look at is the definition of an "outdoor" range:

NSRA Rules
    1.10.4 An outdoor range is one that is open to the skies for at least 90 per cent of the area of the range between firing point and butts. Targets may be fired in natural or artificial light.
    So anything else is "indoor".

As there are (or were) very few indoor ranges over 25 yds/mtrs it is usually assumed that competitions shot at distances in excess of that figure would be shot outdoors. However there do seem to be a few more indoor 50m and the occasional 100yd range these days so it would be the responsibility of the competition organiser to specify in the Conditions section of their rules whether or not shooting had to take place on outdoor ranges only. If shooting on indoor ranges was permitted; the norm for 25yds; then the conditions should state this although there would be nothing to stop you shooting outdoors if you so desired.

Rutty

I have been shooting bench rest for about 6yrs or so now and find it very interesting to say the least!
    I shoot air rifle (AAS400) its a lot better than i am! I am 73 and glaucoma in my shooting eye,but enjoy it ,had to give up 10mtr rifle and pistol because failing sight ,but better with a scope.
    My clubs range is 25yds indoors.
    We have 13 shooters in the current Leeds and District Winter league(which shoots underYorkshire rules) in this league providing the match secretary does the entries correctly then any competitor using an air rifle will find that on the result sheet there is letter "A" alongside there name, in the current league there are roughly 16 divisions of 6,in the first 8 divisions i think there are only 3? air shooters,but from rd 9 down the air shooters are in the majority, the scores from 20yd and 25yd are mixed together on the final score sheet. but there is no indication of the shot distances,I do think there is an advantage to the 20 yd air shooter as the extra 5yds can make a difference to pellet spread? therefore less +1 and 10's ?although it uses a scaled target(Yorks2004).we cant shoot at 20 yds due to our range construction so cant test the theory out,
    We used to shoot the Yorks county league as well and still would but they were not willing to denote an air rifle entrant, so we do the Leeds only.
    I think the fact that air does not realy feature in any of the upper divisions shows the advantage of rimfire ammunition over the pellet?providing of course that the rimfire ammunition is of good quality,and scores shot by some of my club members also shows that an ex prone match rifle will out shoot the sporter. i used our old club Anschutz prone rifle with a scope on one season and my average was was instantly some 5 points hire, big, heavy and a thick stable match barrel using quality Eley ammunition.
    So an ex prone match rifle for best scores, but of course it is nice to know how you are doing against your fellow air shooters?
    There are a lot of variables with air that rimfire does not have.
    Most of us find it an enjoyable , frustrating challenge!
    Don.

Bench

I shoot indoor bench at 20yds at my local club. I've only just, in my late 50's, got hooked on rifle shooting and find the discipline in breathing and trigger control are helping no end in the HFT shooting I also enjoy.
    Some people may find bench rest easy, I've yet to manage straight 10's.