Glevum Target & Sports Club
    is located at Brookthorpe
    near Gloucester, GL4 0UT

24th 25th march 2018
    Air 25 out side and rimfire 25 and 50

http://www.glevumtsc.co.uk/

Colin Evans 07946375613 Text only please

Benchrest

Benchrest is far from easy. We have just started shooting it at 25 yards at our club(bury rifle club) . We shoot in the Cumbria league and also have started our in club competition to run along side the prone comps. Scores have been mixed with not that many 100 .worth giving it a try. We use small bore and air rifles, most with high mag scopes.

I hear plenty of shooters say that they think benchrest is easy. When challenged to prove this by achieving a particular score or entering a competition, they always back out. Without exception, they have always backed out and refused to shoot a benchrest card. Benchrest is very difficult with very tight scoring as the levels get higher. I hope this competition is a success. Benchrest is saving target-shooting in this country by encouraging new shooters and letting elderly or disabled shooters to continue to take part in shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    I hear plenty of shooters say that they think benchrest is easy. When challenged to prove this by achieving a particular score or entering a competition, they always back out. Without exception, they have always backed out and refused to shoot a benchrest card. Benchrest is very difficult with very tight scoring as the levels get higher. I hope this competition is a success. Benchrest is saving target-shooting in this country by encouraging new shooters and letting elderly or disabled shooters to continue to take part in shooting.
    Hear this all the time with all disciplines. Spoken to some people who think HFT is really easy and we are rubbish shooters. When challenged to come and show us how it's done the reply is usually along the lines of, 'there's no point, its too easy'

Wish you all the best with your benchrest competition. I really want to give it a go but got so much on, and nowhere close to shoot

lots of talk no action

hi lots of shooter say how easy
    if its is so easy how comes none of them want to show me
    side by side shooting
    as I said
    lots of talk no action

I shoot in the Rochdale Airgun Club 50m air rifle compt series (3rd Tues of every month). Its certainly not easy.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

You hear the same kind of comments about 6yard and 10m target shooting, usually by people who don't know what they are talking about!

Is this competition shot in the standing or seated position?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Benchrest

Hi bob, we shoot seated. Only the front of the rifle can be supported. See you all soon.

Quote Originally Posted by XDRIVER View Post
    Hi bob, we shoot seated. Only the front of the rifle can be supported. See you all soon.
    When you visit us next time we will let you have a chair to sit on.

Paul and I are far too young to need a chair - but we like it make you comfortable

Smile Benchrest

That sounds great, maybe some kind of refreshment would be good also !!!

Quote Originally Posted by XDRIVER View Post
    That sounds great, maybe some kind of refreshment would be good also !!!
    Thursday night is Wada night - we like some nice Indian street food to keep us going later in the evening!

WTSC bench rest shooting

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Thursday night is Wada night - we like some nice Indian street food to keep us going later in the evening!
    Well, we have been bench rest shooting for a season now.Our results are mixed also, hi mag scopes, a mixture of air rifles,.177 and.22 together with .22 rimfire. Our best scores are in the high 90's and an occasional 100, yet, looking at the results from some other clubs I would like to know what they are using, with results all over 100 and many 100.1s. All our bench rest shooters are very experienced so I wonder what we are doing wrong? Any suggestions gratefully received. We normally shoot light sport rifle and regularly in the medals in ORA, MSL and Cumbria Northumberland leagues.

Ray, Chairman
    Wantage Target Shooting Club

Quote Originally Posted by raytheham View Post
    Well, we have been bench rest shooting for a season now.Our results are mixed also, hi mag scopes, a mixture of air rifles,.177 and.22 together with .22 rimfire. Our best scores are in the high 90's and an occasional 100, yet, looking at the results from some other clubs I would like to know what they are using, with results all over 100 and many 100.1s. All our bench rest shooters are very experienced so I wonder what we are doing wrong? Any suggestions gratefully received. We normally shoot light sport rifle and regularly in the medals in ORA, MSL and Cumbria Northumberland leagues.

Ray, Chairman
    Wantage Target Shooting Club
    Ray,
    I assume the comps your people shoot are all under NSRA rules?
    Perhaps it would be quicker if you gave a rundown of the kit (in particular the front rest) used and the method your people adopt re grip.
    Robb H
    Comp Sec CNTSA
    My Toys:-

FWB P70FT+Elite 4200 6-24x40.
    Sako Range+Leupold VXIII6.5-20x40 EFR.
    Anschutz 1407 + B & L 36x
    Marlin .38 CBC Underlever+Marbles tang sight.
    Remington 12c Pump action.
    Martini Henry Bonehill conversion with Greener Barrel.

What next

Speak your truth quietly & clearly and listen to others,
    even the dull & ignorant, they too have their story.

Not at all easy

I regularly shoot benchrest competitions. Benchrest requires precision and mm can mean the difference between 9 or 10 score or a 10 and a 10.1 (or X). Preparation as in all disciplines is key. I have heard people say that they don't know how a 200 is regularly scored, well it's the things I have mentioned, together with being a good shot, ability to shoot under pressure and things like good triggering. I also shoot FT (badly) but the same applies in that discipline although its a bit physically demanding.