Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which blowback?

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Which blowback?

I'm toying with getting a blowback pistol but can't decide which to get. I want the best build quality rather than the cheapest and am thinking either a Luger, M712, a Colt 911 or something else I've missed if there's a goodun out there. H&K maybe?

Any thoughts from the knowledgable folk?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Sod all of the 4.5mm bb guns. They may look good but they are plagued with build issues, and spares and mags are not easy to come by.
    Buy a good, well established 6mm gun like the TM Hi Capa 5.1 (or their service 1911 if you want that replica vibe). You'll have no problem buying spares, aftermarket parts and magazines.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Sod all of the 4.5mm bb guns. They may look good but they are plagued with build issues, and spares and mags are not easy to come by.
    Buy a good, well established 6mm gun like the TM Hi Capa 5.1 (or their service 1911 if you want that replica vibe). You'll have no problem buying spares, aftermarket parts and magazines.
    Which is great if you've got a ukara defense for owning a toy gun. If you don't then you might be ok with having it in pink if that's your preference.
    Blowback pistols are always going to suffer from more reliability issues but as long as you're not shooting hundreds of shots a day and you maintain them they're ok for what they are. The 1911's are by far the most popular but I'd recommend the sig X-five/kwc 226 s-5 (same gun) as it's accurate too.
    For authenticity, reliability and build quality you're looking at a revolver really and the pellet versions of the SAA, Webley mkVI and Schofield are regarded as top of the tree.
    I'm sure someone will be along to disagree with all of the above soon though...

ASG Cz75 P-09 in .177 pellet. Reliable and accurate. As long as you aren't worried about lockback on last shot (impossible with pellet blow backs and pretty pointless really) or a cut out ejection port (again pointless as there are no shells to eject, and just a dirt trap). Mine has done well over 2000 pellets without a hitch. Good blowback action too.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    Which is great if you've got a ukara defense for owning a toy gun. If you don't then you might be ok with having it in pink if that's your preference.
    Blowback pistols are always going to suffer from more reliability issues but as long as you're not shooting hundreds of shots a day and you maintain them they're ok for what they are. The 1911's are by far the most popular but I'd recommend the sig X-five/kwc 226 s-5 (same gun) as it's accurate too.
    For authenticity, reliability and build quality you're looking at a revolver really and the pellet versions of the SAA, Webley mkVI and Schofield are regarded as top of the tree.
    I'm sure someone will be along to disagree with all of the above soon though...
    I'm sure Nick is secure enough in his masculinity to not mind

Call me a cynical old (before my time) curmudgeon, but I don't think 'being ok for what they are as long as you don't shoot them too much' is really good enough, frankly.
    Perhaps if we were paying US prices then I wouldn't mind.
    But take the TFW 1911 and all its clones - marvellous replica, but plagued with issues (including major safety issues - pull the trigger on mine with the safety on, and when you take the safety off the hammer will drop. It didn't even get shot that much) and with zero aftermarket support, to the extent that even the magazines were near impossible to get at one point.

As long as no one buys them with the expectation of them being anything but disposable, self-destructing toys, that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I'm toying with getting a blowback pistol but can't decide which to get. I want the best build quality rather than the cheapest and am thinking either a Luger, M712, a Colt 911 or something else I've missed if there's a goodun out there. H&K maybe?

Any thoughts from the knowledgable folk?
    The blowback P08 Luger from KWC is a delight to own, to see it's unusual action close up and is nicely put together, but it is a real gas guzzler and so the power drops off early.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Immediate, useful answers. Thanks chaps!

I'm currently at our foreign residence so I don't need permission to have a non-pink toy gun, but I wouldn't know where to start with them.
    As far as revolvers go, I have a couple of Brocock TAC pistols and a black powder Colt 1851, so I think a mazak version would leave me a little underwhelmed.
    But gas guzzlers.... well, that's fine. My mini Uzi barely gets a whole mag out on full auto, but its fun doing it.
    I particularly like the idea of a Luger as I feel it will get more done with regard to the Marie and any future changes to the house. The French have long memories and a rapid goose-step around the town square should have them seeing things my way.

Which is the best Luger? Exact model name and number. (Don't tell him Pike!)

Immediate, useful answers. Thanks chaps!

I'm currently at our foreign residence so I don't need permission to have a non-pink toy gun, but I wouldn't know where to start with them.
    Can't go wrong with Tokyo Marui (TM).

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Can't go wrong with Tokyo Marui (TM).
    None of my usual suppliers seem to carry them. I'm also worried with a name like that it will be a load of old tosh!

The KWC P08 in my opinion as it's not plastered with daft writing and it has a full sized mag with co2, not those piddly stick mags

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    The KWC P08 in my opinion as it's not plastered with daft writing and it has a full sized mag with co2, not those piddly stick mags

Agreed- I bought one a year ago and I'm still awed by it. It strips like the real steel and has a pleasing kick when you fire it. Much to my surprise it's also pretty accurate for a BB pistol. The 1911A1 from the same company is pretty good as well. I was lucky to have a pair of genuine Colt 1911 walnut grips off my old Gold Cup which fitted the KWC rep with little alteration (which says something I guess)

Nick, if you're this way before you decide give me a shout and pop round and try them out- along with the Colt and Webley revolvers, Tanfoglio race guns and so on......
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    Nick, if you're this way before you decide give me a shout and pop round and try them out- along with the Colt and Webley revolvers, Tanfoglio race guns and so on......
    You may live to regret that offer!

.....Which is the best Luger? Exact model name and number. (Don't tell him Pike!)
    AFAIK, KWC only do the one blowback P08, so not aware of any specific part number.

The one we are referring to is detailed HERE.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    You may live to regret that offer!
    No problem!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Beware - I have the following.

Tangfolio Witness x2
    Mini Uzi x 2
    KWC PO8
    Mauser
    Beretta 92 A1
    Walther PPK

All are less than 5 years old and only the PPK still works although the CO2 bulb holder is distorted and the grip doesn't fit. The others all jam and are now, effectively, static models.
    I take good care of my guns but modern blowbacks are not built to be used much. They look great but imo are a waste of money.

Against this I have a 50 year old Crosman 451 and 45 year old 600 which both work perfectly.