Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most graceful air rifle ever designed?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    To my eye the Webley Service Mk2 is probably unsurpassed for sheer design beauty - olde worlde charm coupled with superb workmanship. I particularly love the way the steps from barrel to cylinder, and breech to stock, have been graduated, so no disruption to the lines, unlike the Mk1 rifle.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    To my eye the Webley Service Mk2 is probably unsurpassed for sheer design beauty - olde worlde charm coupled with superb workmanship. I particularly love the way the steps from barrel to cylinder, and breech to stock, have been graduated, so no disruption to the lines, unlike the Mk1 rifle.
    That’s a interesting take, to me it one of the most interesting and intricate Air Rifles even made but gracefull would be my last word for it? To me almost ackward looking which I love!

Most Graceful

Mach 1 / Mach 2....but must say early BSA's are nice. Mach 1.5

Posting a pic would be nice, names may not be enough for us new to the hobby

I second ISP Spartan! BSA Stutzen.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    That’s a interesting take, to me it one of the most interesting and intricate Air Rifles even made but gracefull would be my last word for it? To me almost ackward looking which I love!
    The Mk2 Service awkward looking? I just don't see it that way! Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The Mk2 Service awkward looking? I just don't see it that way! Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder...
    That's the beauty of this thread, there are no right or wrong answers.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    That's the beauty of this thread, there are no right or wrong answers.
    I don’t know after looking at some pics the ISP Spartan was a pretty good answer! Lol

rapid 7

Another vote for the Mk1 & 2 Airsporter.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    My vote would also go for the Mk1 Airsporter with the nice one piece tapered barrel (a nice tidy example of which I am fortunate to own a couple) Have to say I have a soft spot for the Centenary with the elongated stock - my project Mk1 will have some sympathetic mods to bring it up to speed along with a nice one off made stock (once my health/weather etc allows me to get around to doing it that is) with elongated stock similar to the Centenary.
    At the end of the day, whatever 'floats your boat' should tick your boxes - if it be an old BSA or Wobbley, the older rifles just seem to have that indefinable something that makes them all that special, also, something that was made all those years ago that still brings much pleasure and good service to it's keeper, is a legacy to those in the past that made them so well with craftsmanship and dedication, there, said my bit! (just my opinion!)

atb
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    My vote would also go for the Mk1 Airsporter with the nice one piece tapered barrel (a nice tidy example of which I am fortunate to own a couple) Have to say I have a soft spot for the Centenary with the elongated stock - my project Mk1 will have some sympathetic mods to bring it up to speed along with a nice one off made stock (once my health/weather etc allows me to get around to doing it that is) with elongated stock similar to the Centenary.
    At the end of the day, whatever 'floats your boat' should tick your boxes - if it be an old BSA or Wobbley, the older rifles just seem to have that indefinable something that makes them all that special, also, something that was made all those years ago that still brings much pleasure and good service to it's keeper, is a legacy to those in the past that made them so well with craftsmanship and dedication, there, said my bit! (just my opinion!)

atb
    ASM
    Well said, it’s something you have to feel, it comes through when you hold these old guns and sight them. It’s killing me that it’s too cold to the take my new to me BSA MK2 out and shoot it. But holding it you can tell this is something special.

There have been many nice looking rifles on this thread, but for sheer grace and elegance of line, I think the Mk.1 Airsporter takes some beating.
    On a personal note, I fail to see how anything with a 'Tyrolean' stock can be considered either graceful or elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    There have been many nice looking rifles on this thread, but for sheer grace and elegance of line, I think the Mk.1 Airsporter takes some beating.
    On a personal note, I fail to see how anything with a 'Tyrolean' stock can be considered either graceful or elegant.
    Totally with you on both counts.. Don't see the point of Tyro' or Stutzen stocks. I don't like them...

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    BSA Mk 1, Airsporter takes it for me !
    “An airgun or two”………