Thread: Most graceful air rifle ever designed?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I confess to being one of those guys who is attracted to an air rifle probably first for looks! I've really enjoyed this thread. And I suspect there are approximately as many answers to the question as there are airgunners.

Some personal favorites...

Webley Mk 3
    I LOVE those rival BSA's in this thread! But something about the long tapered barrel, exposed cocking bits, and later curvy stock of the Mk 3 give it a uniquely lanky, athletic sort of grace, especially when combined with one of those marvelous Parker-Hale sights. (By the way that is my Supertarget in the pics just above, perhaps my luckiest acquisition ever.)

Diana 27
    My favorites for looks are the early post-war models. The sheer simplicity of the gun's lines are complemented by the beautifully thought-out small details around the breech, compact rear sight, and trigger. Seldom has the styling of such an inexpensive little sporter been so well worked through.

Weihrauch HW 55 T
    In general I go for simpler lines, but the symphony of curved surfaces in this rifle is just wonderful. Diana, FWB, and Walther also offered Tyro stocks in the classic years of springer match rifles, but those rather come across as curvy cheekpieces forced onto otherwise chunky stocks, where the slender rounded and tapered fore end of the HW gives it a far more unified overall form.

Diana 50
    The early ones with clean lines, fore end finger grooves, and subtle Schnabel fore end are just superb looking. And Dennis Hiller's classic description of the gun's styling having "sexual overtones" is one of the greatest lines ever.

HW 35
    My personal favorite variant is the "Luxus" made up until the late 1970's, with hand-friendly rounded surfaces everywhere, subtle hogsback comb line, and lovely Bayern cheekpiece.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 17-02-2018 at 12:50 PM.