Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most graceful air rifle ever designed?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Most Graceful

Mach 1 / Mach 2....but must say early BSA's are nice. Mach 1.5

Posting a pic would be nice, names may not be enough for us new to the hobby

I second ISP Spartan! BSA Stutzen.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    That’s a interesting take, to me it one of the most interesting and intricate Air Rifles even made but gracefull would be my last word for it? To me almost ackward looking which I love!
    The Mk2 Service awkward looking? I just don't see it that way! Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The Mk2 Service awkward looking? I just don't see it that way! Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder...
    That's the beauty of this thread, there are no right or wrong answers.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    That's the beauty of this thread, there are no right or wrong answers.
    I don’t know after looking at some pics the ISP Spartan was a pretty good answer! Lol

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    My vote would also go for the Mk1 Airsporter with the nice one piece tapered barrel (a nice tidy example of which I am fortunate to own a couple) Have to say I have a soft spot for the Centenary with the elongated stock - my project Mk1 will have some sympathetic mods to bring it up to speed along with a nice one off made stock (once my health/weather etc allows me to get around to doing it that is) with elongated stock similar to the Centenary.
    At the end of the day, whatever 'floats your boat' should tick your boxes - if it be an old BSA or Wobbley, the older rifles just seem to have that indefinable something that makes them all that special, also, something that was made all those years ago that still brings much pleasure and good service to it's keeper, is a legacy to those in the past that made them so well with craftsmanship and dedication, there, said my bit! (just my opinion!)

atb
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    My vote would also go for the Mk1 Airsporter with the nice one piece tapered barrel (a nice tidy example of which I am fortunate to own a couple) Have to say I have a soft spot for the Centenary with the elongated stock - my project Mk1 will have some sympathetic mods to bring it up to speed along with a nice one off made stock (once my health/weather etc allows me to get around to doing it that is) with elongated stock similar to the Centenary.
    At the end of the day, whatever 'floats your boat' should tick your boxes - if it be an old BSA or Wobbley, the older rifles just seem to have that indefinable something that makes them all that special, also, something that was made all those years ago that still brings much pleasure and good service to it's keeper, is a legacy to those in the past that made them so well with craftsmanship and dedication, there, said my bit! (just my opinion!)

atb
    ASM
    Well said, it’s something you have to feel, it comes through when you hold these old guns and sight them. It’s killing me that it’s too cold to the take my new to me BSA MK2 out and shoot it. But holding it you can tell this is something special.

There have been many nice looking rifles on this thread, but for sheer grace and elegance of line, I think the Mk.1 Airsporter takes some beating.
    On a personal note, I fail to see how anything with a 'Tyrolean' stock can be considered either graceful or elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    There have been many nice looking rifles on this thread, but for sheer grace and elegance of line, I think the Mk.1 Airsporter takes some beating.
    On a personal note, I fail to see how anything with a 'Tyrolean' stock can be considered either graceful or elegant.
    Totally with you on both counts.. Don't see the point of Tyro' or Stutzen stocks. I don't like them...

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post

D, beauty must indeed be in the eye of the beholder. I know you have a keen eye for beautiful things. But I fear you are missing out on the marvels of the tyrolean. Curvey walnut gorgeousness. How could you...?
    https://www.walnut.black

I confess to being one of those guys who is attracted to an air rifle probably first for looks! I've really enjoyed this thread. And I suspect there are approximately as many answers to the question as there are airgunners.

Some personal favorites...

Webley Mk 3
    I LOVE those rival BSA's in this thread! But something about the long tapered barrel, exposed cocking bits, and later curvy stock of the Mk 3 give it a uniquely lanky, athletic sort of grace, especially when combined with one of those marvelous Parker-Hale sights. (By the way that is my Supertarget in the pics just above, perhaps my luckiest acquisition ever.)

Diana 27
    My favorites for looks are the early post-war models. The sheer simplicity of the gun's lines are complemented by the beautifully thought-out small details around the breech, compact rear sight, and trigger. Seldom has the styling of such an inexpensive little sporter been so well worked through.

Weihrauch HW 55 T
    In general I go for simpler lines, but the symphony of curved surfaces in this rifle is just wonderful. Diana, FWB, and Walther also offered Tyro stocks in the classic years of springer match rifles, but those rather come across as curvy cheekpieces forced onto otherwise chunky stocks, where the slender rounded and tapered fore end of the HW gives it a far more unified overall form.

Diana 50
    The early ones with clean lines, fore end finger grooves, and subtle Schnabel fore end are just superb looking. And Dennis Hiller's classic description of the gun's styling having "sexual overtones" is one of the greatest lines ever.

HW 35
    My personal favorite variant is the "Luxus" made up until the late 1970's, with hand-friendly rounded surfaces everywhere, subtle hogsback comb line, and lovely Bayern cheekpiece.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 17-02-2018 at 12:50 PM.

To my eye the Webley Service Mk2 is probably unsurpassed for sheer design beauty - olde worlde charm coupled with superb workmanship. I particularly love the way the steps from barrel to cylinder, and breech to stock, have been graduated, so no disruption to the lines, unlike the Mk1 rifle.

I can't help thinking the Webley service rifles are amongst the most hideous ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    I can't help thinking the Webley service rifles are amongst the most hideous ever produced.
    Then I have to wonder what you're doing in this section.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Then I have to wonder what you're doing in this section.
    Unlike a certain member, I don't think all barrel over cylinder webleys are hideous. And as a respectful collector I would never use one as a doorstop, hammer or fishing weight
    Good deals with these members