Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most graceful air rifle ever designed?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    The ISP Spartan was probably one of the most luscious airrifles ever, but how many were made?
    It might not be so fair to compare a niche product built by a single craftsman (AFAIK) to a mass produced rifle...
    Good deals with these members

Spartan is always top trumps in many polls.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    The ISP Spartan was probably one of the most luscious airrifles ever, but how many were made?
    It might not be so fair to compare a niche product built by a single craftsman (AFAIK) to a mass produced rifle...
    No doubt this is true, but fun to see, never knew they existed. I am just happy I have one of the guns mentioned that is obtainable. Surprising how the look of the early BSA Airsporter held up. I could see myself trying for a MK1, if it ever poped up here in the US. I don’t think anyone was importing them back then, it will be a long shot.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    As already said, the Airsporter has to claim the top spot, followed closely by the Prosport and then the RWS Excalibre for the PCP side but I think the later Mercury's should get an honourable mention.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

BSA Cadet. A beautiful little thing.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    ISP Spartan.....end of........no competition
    yea. That gets my vote too.
    https://www.walnut.black

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    ISP Spartan.....end of........no competition
    yup, 100% agree.

Best looking air rifle, end of.

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    yup, 100% agree.

Best looking air rifle, end of.
    The more I think of it the fact that the ISP is a PCP kind of taints it. Pretty easy to put a nice wrapper on a air tank? Where is the pic of it with all the “stuff” needed to fill it and make it function as a rifle? Making a self contained working rifle is a much greater challenge and is more to my vision of classic design that is not as easy to make graceful.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    The more I think of it the fact that the ISP is a PCP kind of taints it. Pretty easy to put a nice wrapper on a air tank? Where is the pic of it with all the “stuff” needed to fill it and make it function as a rifle? Making a self contained working rifle is a much greater challenge and is more to my vision of classic design that is not as easy to make graceful.
    That's my thinking too. The challenge is to make a graceful design within the limitations imposed by the gun having a self-contained power supply.

For this reason I would discount CO2 guns from the challenge, because they can easily be of a conventionally 'beautiful' design unencumbered by the difficulties of including a self-produced power supply.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I just love the elegant lines of the BSA Airsporter and its little brother, the Cadet Major. I would give a slight edge to the Mk1 Airsporter over the MK2 due to the nicely tapered barrel and wheel adjustable rear sight. Although I know they are there for a reason, I'm not so keen on the fluting to the sides of the fore end of both the Aisporter models which I think would look better if left plain. The Cadet Major was my first serious air rifle received on my eleventh birthday in 1957 and the unique sound this rifle makes as the breech is closed after cocking takes me straight back to my youth.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    That's my thinking too. The challenge is to make a graceful design within the limitations imposed by the gun having a self-contained power supply.

For this reason I would discount CO2 guns from the challenge, because they can easily be of a conventionally 'beautiful' design unencumbered by the difficulties of including a self-produced power supply.
    Saying that - the Crosman Mod 70 is no munter.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Saying that - the Crosman Mod 70 is no munter.

Lots of plastic though isn't there Ian?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    To my eye the Webley Service Mk2 is probably unsurpassed for sheer design beauty - olde worlde charm coupled with superb workmanship. I particularly love the way the steps from barrel to cylinder, and breech to stock, have been graduated, so no disruption to the lines, unlike the Mk1 rifle.

I can't help thinking the Webley service rifles are amongst the most hideous ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    I can't help thinking the Webley service rifles are amongst the most hideous ever produced.
    Then I have to wonder what you're doing in this section.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    Agreed, I used the exact same word - hideous! -to describe them the other day.
    Like an explosion in a plumbing supplies shop
    Good deals with these members