Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Most graceful air rifle ever designed?

Quote Originally Posted by aimless View Post
    is the Giffard "de luxe" . I know, where I can find one, but have never see the rifle in reality.

The owner has serveral one, but I don not find any pictures of this model. So I can only present one small and bad picture, he sent me years ago.

Maybe anyone knows more about that desirable rifle.

One here Jochen:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....fle/#post-1459

and another here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....fle/#post-1460

Listed in the catalogue here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ous/#post-1446
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

aimless Guest

Thumbs up

Great pictures of a STUNNING rifle! Thanks, Garvin.
    May I ask: How much would YOU pay for one?

Quote Originally Posted by aimless View Post
    Great pictures of a STUNNING rifle! Thanks, Garvin.
    May I ask: How much would YOU pay for one?
    To be perfectly honest, Jochen, I prefer the look of the 'sporting' Giffard - the fancy trigger guard on the 'match' rifle is too much for me!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

aimless Guest
    what do you think about the "colours" on the system of Tims one: did someone try to shoot with black-powder

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Half MOA View Post

Oooh! That's nice

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

That's about as fine an example as you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Oooh! That's nice

John
    Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    That's about as fine an example as you'll see.

My elder brother had a brand new MK3 Supertarget back in the day, he bought it from a Grattan catalogue and paid weekly, so that tells you how far back we are going, it was a stunning piece of kit, and possibly the Rolls Royce of springers then, practically hand made, i am not sure what the FPE on these things were/are, but it sure did shoot well when combined with the Parker-Hale aperture sight

Thumbs up

My elder brother had a brand new MK3 Supertarget back in the day, he bought it from a Grattan catalogue and paid weekly, so that tells you how far back we are going, it was a stunning piece of kit, and possibly the Rolls Royce of springers then, practically hand made, i am not sure what the FPE on these things were/are, but it sure did shoot well when combined with the Parker-Hale aperture sight
    Have to agree, The mk3 is a superb bit of kit

John..

Cool

My mum's Grattan catalogue had the odd choice of FWB 300, Baikal 12 bore O/U, or Webley Hawk with interchangable barrels (when you weren't browsing "other areas" ).

I confess to being one of those guys who is attracted to an air rifle probably first for looks! I've really enjoyed this thread. And I suspect there are approximately as many answers to the question as there are airgunners.

Some personal favorites...

Webley Mk 3
    I LOVE those rival BSA's in this thread! But something about the long tapered barrel, exposed cocking bits, and later curvy stock of the Mk 3 give it a uniquely lanky, athletic sort of grace, especially when combined with one of those marvelous Parker-Hale sights. (By the way that is my Supertarget in the pics just above, perhaps my luckiest acquisition ever.)

Diana 27
    My favorites for looks are the early post-war models. The sheer simplicity of the gun's lines are complemented by the beautifully thought-out small details around the breech, compact rear sight, and trigger. Seldom has the styling of such an inexpensive little sporter been so well worked through.

Weihrauch HW 55 T
    In general I go for simpler lines, but the symphony of curved surfaces in this rifle is just wonderful. Diana, FWB, and Walther also offered Tyro stocks in the classic years of springer match rifles, but those rather come across as curvy cheekpieces forced onto otherwise chunky stocks, where the slender rounded and tapered fore end of the HW gives it a far more unified overall form.

Diana 50
    The early ones with clean lines, fore end finger grooves, and subtle Schnabel fore end are just superb looking. And Dennis Hiller's classic description of the gun's styling having "sexual overtones" is one of the greatest lines ever.

HW 35
    My personal favorite variant is the "Luxus" made up until the late 1970's, with hand-friendly rounded surfaces everywhere, subtle hogsback comb line, and lovely Bayern cheekpiece.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 17-02-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Have to agree, The mk3 is a superb bit of kit

John..
    Oh those are just superb! I’ll take the second one down, please...

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Oh those are just superb! I’ll take the second one down, please...
    That's an early action fitted to a later stock, It's own stock was kaput and went in the bin, The one fitted was black with grime and age, I stripped it and couldn't believe haw nice it actually was under the years of grime!!

It needs a few more rubs of oil as I only gave it four..

John

That's an early action fitted to a later stock, It's own stock was kaput and went in the bin, The one fitted was black with grime and age, I stripped it and couldn't believe haw nice it actually was under the years of grime!!

It needs a few more rubs of oil as I only gave it four..

John
    Wow that is just beautiful wood! Only issue I have with these rifles is why didn’t Webley put a brass emblem rather than white plastic? Every time I see one of these it bothers me.

Fantastic collection John, just out of interest, have you ever run any of them over the chrono?