Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee classic loader 308

Lee classic loader 308

Hi All
    Ive just invested in one of the 308 classic loader kits, hopefully should arrive this week. I just wanted to know has anyone used them and what powder & bullets you used and of course what were the results.
    I also ordered a case conditioning kit and micrometer
    Regards Matt
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

Not the classic kit but used some of the other Lee Press gear. Apparently it does the job and is OK if you only do limited reloading. Once you catch the reloading bug, then you'll probably find you'll want to get a decent press. I use the Lee turret sets for Pistol calibre reloading and a Lyman turret press for my rifle stuff.

For my 7.62 (308) I use about 40-43 grains of Varget behind either a 168gn Sierra or 175 grain Berger, lit by a Federal 210 primer. (Depending on what sort of discipline I'm shooting.) I use the 168 load in an OFV case for magazine use and the 175 in a Lapua case if single loading. Both will better one MOA at 600 yards.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Not the classic kit but used some of the other Lee Press gear. Apparently it does the job and is OK if you only do limited reloading. Once you catch the reloading bug, then you'll probably find you'll want to get a decent press. I use the Lee turret sets for Pistol calibre reloading and a Lyman turret press for my rifle stuff.

For my 7.62 (308) I use about 40-43 grains of Varget behind either a 168gn Sierra or 175 grain Berger, lit by a Federal 210 primer. (Depending on what sort of discipline I'm shooting.) I use the 168 load in an OFV case for magazine use and the 175 in a Lapua case if single loading. Both will better one MOA at 600 yards.
    Ive been looking at the Varget powder, I dont have scales so I was going to rely on the dipper as an accurate way of measuring. However the classic comes with its own loading chart im just hoping that Varget powder is on there as that way the dipper will measure the correct amount with out.
    scales.
    Regards Matt

Varget like many American powders is no longer being imported. Try and develop a load with a European powder like vhitavouri N140

I use Lee gear for all my reloading. Works well in 44mag, 303, 308, 45/90. Depends what you want to load your 308 for. I tend to use
    9.8 grns of Unique with a home cast gas check 185 grn bullet sized to .309" and tumble lubed in Alox for 50 - 100 yd ranges and buy
    factory for going out to 300/400 at Beckingham. This home load in a Howa 1500 give ragged one hole groups if i do my bit.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Varget like many American powders is no longer being imported. Try and develop a load with a European powder like vhitavouri N140
    Typical as vhitavouri is double the price of Varget powder, its still for sale in Henry kranks though.so being a compete novice im looking at 150 - 155 gr bullet heads, cci primers i have some ppu used brass cases to reload
    So how many rounds woukd 1lb of powder give approx??
    Regards Matt

Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    Typical as vhitavouri is double the price of Varget powder, its still for sale in Henry kranks though.so being a compete novice im looking at 150 - 155 gr bullet heads, cci primers i have some ppu used brass cases to reload
    So how many rounds woukd 1lb of powder give approx??
    Regards Matt
    Vhit powders tend to come in kilo tubs =2.2LB hence twice as much as Varget...and assuming 45grains being a middle of the road load(for both Varget and N140) 1lb powder(7000grain) / 45 grain = 155rounds ish.

hope that helps
    Without curiosity, evolution would have been greatly flawed.....

Please.....

Do yourself a big favour and buy yourself a set of beam scales.
    Happy reloading .

Quote Originally Posted by hero View Post
    Happy reloading .
    +1 Easy to use and as accurate as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by hero View Post
    Happy reloading .
    I do keep hearing this advice and I will invest, my kit finally turned up and i will be off next week to get some professional advice on loading.
    Ive got to say the classic loader works well so far I have
    Cleaned, de burred, de capped and re sized the cartridges.
    I used the cartridge holder and a drill which works well and us quite efficient.
    The only thing i missed was to cut the cartridges before resizing however as this is the first time ive reloaded since their factory load (ppu 145gr fmj) im not to concerned and i have checked the length with a micrometer.
    Next job buy bullers, primers and powder
    So for target shooting 50-100m im going for this load
    150gr fmj PPU
    CCI primers
    N140

I use Viht N140 for .308. Best all round rifle powder I've found so if you move on to other calibers chances are N140 will do for that too. Like others have said it is twice the price but you get over twice amount than Hodgdon's for your money, so it's actually cheaper.

I started reloading a couple of years ago, after putting it off for ages. Once you catch the bug, it's the road to financial ruin. There's always something to buy, and once you've bought all that, you buy more things to speed up the process, because once the novelty wears off the monotony become tedious!

Good luck!

Cheers
    Greg

Great classic reloader

Lee Classic Reloader. Great way to start. I used the .223 for months and results were fine. Other bits make loading speedier, but the kit contains all you need to assemble your ammo. I now have a press and all the bits for faster production, but still find myself using the classic for odd tasks the press and dies can't do.
    Enjoy the classic.

So I took advice and got the lee safety scales and for £20 id agree its money well spent
    Loaded my first batch today I'll shoot sunday anyone else or just me being paranoid about trying own loads for first time. Ive checked measurements, weights etc just got to pull the trigger now.
    Viht N140
    Ppu cases
    175 fmj
    38gr load
    CCI primers

Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    So I took advice and got the lee safety scales and for £20 id agree its money well spent
    Loaded my first batch today I'll shoot sunday anyone else or just me being paranoid about trying own loads for first time. Ive checked measurements, weights etc just got to pull the trigger now.
    Viht N140
    Ppu cases
    175 fmj
    38gr load
    CCI primers
    as long as you have loaded to the recommended length sounds like you are good to go, it never hurts to start at the bottom end (as long as you have 175gn not the 150gn you originally mentioned ) for 50-100m I would seriously consider cast with unique 13grns , less cost, less recoil and plenty of accuracy at those ranges, no point wasting a 600yd load if you don't have to
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Have you had any instruction from an experienced reloader???

Seen one rifle (308) blown up 'cos the reloader followed all the instructions but over-crimped the bullet. (he was a big lad and didn't seem aware of how tight the bullet crimp should be!!!)

Examine (immediately after firing) all your fired loads for signs of over-pressure & head-space issues.

Good luck.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!