Thread: Hy-Score Sportster pickup

Hy-Score Sportster pickup

Been on my bucket list for a while, cause I have all the other Hy-Score Pistols. The Sporster was only made for a couple years so it is definitely harder to obtain. Have seen a couple boxed but just went for too much for what they are and saw a few pretty beat up. This one was for a more reasonable price and included both the .177 and the .22 barrels. There was also a BB smooth bore, which I won’t miss. Fun thing about this pistol was being able to change out the barrels. I tested the .177 and it was getting 400+ which is about right. These really are fun well made blued steel pistols that incorporated a lot of engineering into a slim small package. This one also has a screw on the end of the back tip of the grip, I have that on my early 700 so have to assume this one is early as well. The rarest is the Sporter Repeater but personally I like the single shots.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Zyx23

Curious if there are other pistols with multiple barrels? None come to mind?
    Last edited by 45flint; 06-02-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Been on my bucket list for a while, cause I have all the other Hy-Score Pistols. The Sporster was only made for a couple years so it is definitely harder to obtain. Have seen a couple boxed but just went for too much for what they are and saw a few pretty beat up. This one was for a more reasonable price and included both the .177 and the .22 barrels. There was also a BB smooth bore, which I won’t miss. Fun thing about this pistol was being able to change out the barrels. I tested the .177 and it was getting 400+ which is about right. These really are fun well made blued steel pistols that incorporated a lot of engineering into a slim small package. This one also has a screw on the end of the back tip of the grip, I have that on my early 700 so have to assume this one is early as well. The rarest is the Sporter Repeater but personally I like the single shots.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Zyx23

Curious if there are other pistols with multiple barrels? None come to mind?
    Very nice, and rare, and nice.

And no. Not pistols very much. Some rifles.

Thumbs up

Hi

I have a mk2 Sporter too, I swapped a pre war Mk1 Webley and a (I think) a post war Senior for it, This got the wifes back up as for some reason she loves the old steel Webleys!!!

I was happy to receive a lovely Hyscore with both barrels and removal tool

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi

I have a mk2 Sporter too, I swapped a pre war Mk1 Webley and a (I think) a post war Senior for it, This got the wifes back up as for some reason she loves the old steel Webleys!!!

I was happy to receive a lovely Hyscore with both barrels and removal tool

John
    No doubt this was the best Hy-Score ever made. Almost impossible to get in this country and if they are here, the silencer has to go. I saw one last year just like yours, only without the silencer. I wanted it bad but it went into the high $600s on a auction site here. Hy-Score pistols over here are really bargains, so many were made they are virtually always on the auction sites. The Sportster and the 700 are the only ones that may take some time.

No doubt this was the best Hy-Score ever made. Almost impossible to get in this country and if they are here, the silencer has to go. I saw one last year just like yours, only without the silencer. I wanted it bad but it went into the high $600s on a auction site here. Hy-Score pistols over here are really bargains, so many were made they are virtually always on the auction sites. The Sportster and the 700 are the only ones that may take some time.
    Agreed. And very rare in the US of A.

The Richard Marriott/Phoenix Hy-Score is definitely desirable. It wasn't at the time twenty-something years ago, but, as you say, is now very nice in any number of ways.

The reason that the Phoenix HyScore pistols are so rare here in the US is that they could not be imported because they don't have trigger safeties. Same thing happened in Australia.

Beeman got a hold a few and sold one to me, that's the only reason I have one; one of the second versions with scope rails, etc. As I recall, it cost me something like $500. Too much imo, but figured it would probably be my only opportunity to ever purpose one.... which it was.

The build quality of the phoenix HyScore is beyond belief.

Agreed that the model 700 and Sportster are difficult to find but the chrome models are also very difficult to find.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    The reason that the Phoenix HyScore pistols are so rare here in the US is that they could not be imported because they don't have trigger safeties. Same thing happened in Australia.

Beeman got a hold a few and sold one to me, that's the only reason I have one; one of the second versions with scope rails, etc. As I recall, it cost me something like $500. Too much imo, but figured it would probably be my only opportunity to ever purpose one.... which it was.

The build quality of the phoenix HyScore is beyond belief.

Agreed that the model 700 and Sportster are difficult to find but the chrome models are also very difficult to find.
    That is one thing l find strange in the US you can buy almost any type of gun off the shelf, but as you say they wouldn't sell the Phoenix air pistol because of the trigger safeties and silencer. the Phoenix didn't rise from the ashes as the maker thought. and didn't sell well at all, but very well made. l was lucky to get mine 2nd hand some time after they stoped makeing them. l also have a boxed crome Hyscore which l bought many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    That is one thing l find strange in the US you can buy almost any type of gun off the shelf, but as you say they wouldn't sell the Phoenix air pistol because of the trigger safeties and silencer. the Phoenix didn't rise from the ashes as the maker thought. and didn't sell well at all, but very well made. l was lucky to get mine 2nd hand some time after they stoped makeing them. l also have a boxed crome Hyscore which l bought many years ago.
    You can buy a silencer but it costs you $200 to register it. Given DT’s remarks I probably should have paid up for the Phoenix I saw last year. But I’m a retired banker and somehow I just can’t enjoy something I feel I paid too much for.

You can buy a silencer but it costs you $200 to register it. Given DT’s remarks I probably should have paid up for the Phoenix I saw last year. But I’m a retired banker and somehow I just can’t enjoy something I feel I paid too much for.
    Hi,

The strange thing about UK legislation is that silencers or moderators as they are sometimes more politically correctly referred to are legal to fit and use on air rifles, but illegal to buy or fit to a firearm unless listed and approved under the conditions of a valid Firearms Certificate with all the onerous implications that entails.

Regards
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

The strange thing about UK legislation is that silencers or moderators as they are sometimes more politically correctly referred to are legal to fit and use on air rifles, but illegal to buy or fit to a firearm unless listed and approved under the conditions of a valid Firearms Certificate with all the onerous implications that entails.

Regards
    Brian
    Probably why the US doesn’t differentiate them cause they can be fitted on either type of gun. If integrated into a air rifle it’s legal. Seeing a lot of that, now but you stuck with bulky.