Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info wanted on Steyr hunting scout 5a

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks solvo,it’s reasuring to hear from an actual owner ,I’ve looked at your targets and had to laugh at the last one ! Several were good esp the accupels ,What are they like at 40yrds or so ? If I get one it will be the scout auto in .177 and I might enquire about getting the barrel screw cut but not sure if this would effect it in any way ! What would be you views on use for vermin if you do any hunting ? Thanks again for the info .Mike.

hunting

mine been spot on as well in word love it

steyr advice is do not screw cut there barrels has the choke is right at the end and it could effect the accuracy,

I have the SA in .20 and it is spot on the stock is made out of nut.

That’s great chaps thanks ,solvo I see you have the connect scope on yours ! I have a 3-12x32 connect so hopefully it will fit ok and save me a bit of cash as I really love these scopes and can’t seem to get on with normal eye relief ones after using the connect ,great for hunting as it has a huge fov ! do you have to remove it if you take the barrel off or if you have to adjust tightness of fit against the mag? I don’t think they do the scout in .20 do they ? I don’t know why as I think they do the standard length in that cal ?I am getting this nervous feeling inside me because I know I am soooo close to getting one Thanks all Mike.

You do need to remove the scope to adjust the barrel. There are 3 grub screws in the top of the action and i think at least 2 are under that mount.
    I really wouldnt worry about the barrel adjustment. I've had the rifle over 2 years and used it a fair bit. The only reason i took the barrel out was I wanted to. I take *everything* apart, so by about month 2 i took the barrel out to have a look. No need though and it hasn't been touched since.

I did read on here someone had trouble with the mags, the had 5? mags i think one was too tight and adjusting for it made the others too loose. I've not had that issue though i suspect you could exchange a mag that isn't working. they're €40 each and made to a very high spec so should be replaced if they're not working out.

Info wanted on Steyr hunting scout 5a

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    steyr advice is do not screw cut there barrels has the choke is right at the end and it could effect the accuracy,

Must've taken a lot of nuts to make the stock...lol

This was mine, once upon a time.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

The H5 scout is the best rifle I've ever owned or ever likely to own.

Barrel adjustment is extremely easy.

I did find mine did need setting for particular mags though. 2 out of the 3 were very good, the other needed the barrel tolerance setting to use it.

Pellets are best seated in the mags too.

Outstsnding bit of kit.
    B.A.S.C. member

Thanks all,think I am going to get the wallet out .Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The H5 scout is the best rifle I've ever owned or ever likely to own.

Barrel adjustment is extremely easy.

I did find mine did need setting for particular mags though. 2 out of the 3 were very good, the other needed the barrel tolerance setting to use it.

Pellets are best seated in the mags too.

Outstsnding bit of kit.
    I’ve been considering one for quite some time Rob.

What type of sound moderation do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post

correct i conntacted steyr technical department as i was thinking of getting the barrel screw cut as i dont like things being held on by grub screws.was told in no uncertain terms that this would ruin the barrel.btw great rifles self indexing or not.

Rowan will make you a bespoke adapter bored precisely for the OD of your barrel, assuming you can measure it with some precision.

My barrel was not truly round, and had a major and a minor diameter about a thou different.

Rowan make it a very slight clearance fit so that any corrosion will be unlikely to fix the two parts together. In my case I wrapped a layer of PTFE tape around the barrel and made it a slight interference fit. That gives the grub screws less work to do under normal circumstances.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

as for pellets being slack in the mags go for 4.53 head size in 177

I've had the .177 Steyr Scout for nearly two years and have had no major problems, it works straight out of the box.
    A few issues I have are the stocks ergonomics and it maybe just me, but I find the stocks cheek piece is very low, I use a low scope mounts with a 30mm tubed scope and just about get cheek weld, a scope with a 25mm tube and low scope mounts should give better cheek weld with the stock. Another problem is the LOP is about 13 5/8" which is perfect for off hand shooting but almost too short for me when shooting prone especially as my scope has about 4" of eye relief which means it has to be mounted well forward on the scope rail.
    Regarding mounting your scope, I took the trouble to make sure my scope mounts did not cover the barrel adjusting screws, this means I can adjust or change the barrel without removing the scope and mounts although a couple of cut down allen keys are required to get under the scopes body.
    The Scout is noisier on firing than my other air rifles as some air leaks between the barrel and magazine (no matter how finely you set the barrel) but it's not obtrusive and I doubt it'll affect hunting bags. I also had some air leaking between the silencer adaptor and barrel upon firing, so I placed a 15x1mm o-ring in the adapter to reduce this leak/noise.

I have 5 other air rifles from the usual manufacturers and the Steyr has become my 'go to' air rifle, mine is not too pellet fussy and can easily produce 1" groups at 50 meters with a range of pellets, with JSB Exacts 4.52's those groups come down to just over 1/2" at 50 meters although to be honest I'm the main problem with accuracy, even bench rested with a quality scope, I really need a quality rear rest to find out what this gun can really do.
    One way the self indexing really helps to improve your off hand, kneeling and sitting positions is you can make small but critical adjustments to your stance after each shot to steady your aim without completely breaking your shooting position to re-cock the action, so the self indexing system lets you precisely refine your shooting stance over the 5 shots available.

If I'm going to be really picky then I do resent the way this gun dictates my grooming habits, that's because the stocks cheek piece traps any facial stubble in the nutwood grain which makes my eyes water, so I have to shave before a long shooting session!

Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    correct i conntacted steyr technical department as i was thinking of getting the barrel screw cut as i dont like things being held on by grub screws.was told in no uncertain terms that this would ruin the barrel.btw great rifles self indexing or not.
    I was also thinking of getting the barrel screw cut.
    I find it difficult top believe that it would affect the accuracy.
    Under that theory any airgun that's choked shouldn't have the barrel screw cut?