Thread: Info wanted on Steyr hunting scout 5a

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Info wanted on Steyr hunting scout 5a

Hi,am looking for some info on the mentioned rifle! Like the reliability of the indexing after much use ,also are they pellet fussy ? What’s accuracy like out to 40 yards ,I will be using this for mainly hunting with the occasional plink ! Also could you tell me if rifle comes with silencer adapter and what would be the preferred silencer ? Any info on any issues would be greatly appreciated . Thanks Mike

I have had no issues with the indexing after about 9000 shots. There's a vid on youtube by Steyr on how to re-adjust the barrel, I did this once to try it and it really is a 2 minute job.

Yes, it's quite fussy, My test results are here:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-5-pellet-test
    (I've just fixed the links as they were aiming at an old server)

It does not have a silencer adapter
    If you buy the scout version you need to get the special low profile adaptor Steyr make, It's a slip on 1/2UNF type, I use with either a HW or Deathwhisper mod. It is a full free floating barrel so the mod will change the zero slightly.

The only 'issues' I've had are
    1. the air cylinder can work slightly loose after a long time, Not a problem as you can just give it a 1/4 turn back into place.
    2. The grip is stippled, which attracts dirt and grime, so i'll likely get a new stock from GC when possible.

Be prepared to shoot a lot of ammo if you get the SA version

Thanks solvo,it’s reasuring to hear from an actual owner ,I’ve looked at your targets and had to laugh at the last one ! Several were good esp the accupels ,What are they like at 40yrds or so ? If I get one it will be the scout auto in .177 and I might enquire about getting the barrel screw cut but not sure if this would effect it in any way ! What would be you views on use for vermin if you do any hunting ? Thanks again for the info .Mike.

hunting

mine been spot on as well in word love it

steyr advice is do not screw cut there barrels has the choke is right at the end and it could effect the accuracy,

I have the SA in .20 and it is spot on the stock is made out of nut.

That’s great chaps thanks ,solvo I see you have the connect scope on yours ! I have a 3-12x32 connect so hopefully it will fit ok and save me a bit of cash as I really love these scopes and can’t seem to get on with normal eye relief ones after using the connect ,great for hunting as it has a huge fov ! do you have to remove it if you take the barrel off or if you have to adjust tightness of fit against the mag? I don’t think they do the scout in .20 do they ? I don’t know why as I think they do the standard length in that cal ?I am getting this nervous feeling inside me because I know I am soooo close to getting one Thanks all Mike.

Info wanted on Steyr hunting scout 5a

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    steyr advice is do not screw cut there barrels has the choke is right at the end and it could effect the accuracy,

Must've taken a lot of nuts to make the stock...lol

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post

correct i conntacted steyr technical department as i was thinking of getting the barrel screw cut as i dont like things being held on by grub screws.was told in no uncertain terms that this would ruin the barrel.btw great rifles self indexing or not.

I'm no hunter so I cant really advise on that, and my range doesn't allow for 40 yard short very often.
    Screw cutting is not an option on the scout as the cylinder is too close to the muzzle, a couple of people have used the full length barrel with the scout cylinder to avoid this but it has a high cost and no real advantage.

Embedded pic since that's a thing now!
    You can see the unique shape of the adaptor where it's been thinned on the bottom to fit past the air cylinder.
    I followed some sound advice form a member here and dropped a slice of o-ring into the grub screw on the adaptor; it fits very securely and wont damage the barrel.