Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Info wanted on Steyr hunting scout 5a

Info wanted on Steyr hunting scout 5a

Hi,am looking for some info on the mentioned rifle! Like the reliability of the indexing after much use ,also are they pellet fussy ? What’s accuracy like out to 40 yards ,I will be using this for mainly hunting with the occasional plink ! Also could you tell me if rifle comes with silencer adapter and what would be the preferred silencer ? Any info on any issues would be greatly appreciated . Thanks Mike

I have had no issues with the indexing after about 9000 shots. There's a vid on youtube by Steyr on how to re-adjust the barrel, I did this once to try it and it really is a 2 minute job.

Yes, it's quite fussy, My test results are here:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-5-pellet-test
    (I've just fixed the links as they were aiming at an old server)

It does not have a silencer adapter
    If you buy the scout version you need to get the special low profile adaptor Steyr make, It's a slip on 1/2UNF type, I use with either a HW or Deathwhisper mod. It is a full free floating barrel so the mod will change the zero slightly.

The only 'issues' I've had are
    1. the air cylinder can work slightly loose after a long time, Not a problem as you can just give it a 1/4 turn back into place.
    2. The grip is stippled, which attracts dirt and grime, so i'll likely get a new stock from GC when possible.

Be prepared to shoot a lot of ammo if you get the SA version

Thanks solvo,it’s reasuring to hear from an actual owner ,I’ve looked at your targets and had to laugh at the last one ! Several were good esp the accupels ,What are they like at 40yrds or so ? If I get one it will be the scout auto in .177 and I might enquire about getting the barrel screw cut but not sure if this would effect it in any way ! What would be you views on use for vermin if you do any hunting ? Thanks again for the info .Mike.

hunting

mine been spot on as well in word love it

I'm no hunter so I cant really advise on that, and my range doesn't allow for 40 yard short very often.
    Screw cutting is not an option on the scout as the cylinder is too close to the muzzle, a couple of people have used the full length barrel with the scout cylinder to avoid this but it has a high cost and no real advantage.

Embedded pic since that's a thing now!
    You can see the unique shape of the adaptor where it's been thinned on the bottom to fit past the air cylinder.
    I followed some sound advice form a member here and dropped a slice of o-ring into the grub screw on the adaptor; it fits very securely and wont damage the barrel.

steyr advice is do not screw cut there barrels has the choke is right at the end and it could effect the accuracy,

I have the SA in .20 and it is spot on the stock is made out of nut.

That’s great chaps thanks ,solvo I see you have the connect scope on yours ! I have a 3-12x32 connect so hopefully it will fit ok and save me a bit of cash as I really love these scopes and can’t seem to get on with normal eye relief ones after using the connect ,great for hunting as it has a huge fov ! do you have to remove it if you take the barrel off or if you have to adjust tightness of fit against the mag? I don’t think they do the scout in .20 do they ? I don’t know why as I think they do the standard length in that cal ?I am getting this nervous feeling inside me because I know I am soooo close to getting one Thanks all Mike.

You do need to remove the scope to adjust the barrel. There are 3 grub screws in the top of the action and i think at least 2 are under that mount.
    I really wouldnt worry about the barrel adjustment. I've had the rifle over 2 years and used it a fair bit. The only reason i took the barrel out was I wanted to. I take *everything* apart, so by about month 2 i took the barrel out to have a look. No need though and it hasn't been touched since.

I did read on here someone had trouble with the mags, the had 5? mags i think one was too tight and adjusting for it made the others too loose. I've not had that issue though i suspect you could exchange a mag that isn't working. they're €40 each and made to a very high spec so should be replaced if they're not working out.

Info wanted on Steyr hunting scout 5a

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    steyr advice is do not screw cut there barrels has the choke is right at the end and it could effect the accuracy,

I have the SA in .20 and it is spot on the stock is made out of nut.
    Must've taken a lot of nuts to make the stock...lol

This was mine, once upon a time.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

The H5 scout is the best rifle I've ever owned or ever likely to own.

Barrel adjustment is extremely easy.

I did find mine did need setting for particular mags though. 2 out of the 3 were very good, the other needed the barrel tolerance setting to use it.

Pellets are best seated in the mags too.

Outstsnding bit of kit.
    B.A.S.C. member

Thanks all,think I am going to get the wallet out .Mike.

A steyr hunting scout 5a in .20... the perfect sub 12 hunting PCP?

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The H5 scout is the best rifle I've ever owned or ever likely to own.

Barrel adjustment is extremely easy.

I did find mine did need setting for particular mags though. 2 out of the 3 were very good, the other needed the barrel tolerance setting to use it.

Pellets are best seated in the mags too.

Outstsnding bit of kit.
    I’ve been considering one for quite some time Rob.

What type of sound moderation do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoto1 View Post
    I’ve been considering one for quite some time Rob.

What type of sound moderation do you use?
    I used the steyr adaptor and a swift stumpy modular. Just the front and rear sections with all the middle sections removed.
    Quiet enough for the range or for hunting.
    I sold mine to Neil180 on here and deeply regret doing so.

Don't rule out the manual version (mine was manual). Capable of putting 5 shots in a bull in as many seconds without changing hold or head position. Capable of firing a second hunting shot as quick as you can think too. I wouldn't have the SA. I can't imagine needing to fire quicker than the manual can achieve. But do get the scout. The full length is too long.
    The stock on the H5 looks like a plank but seriously the most comfortable stock I've ever had on a rifle.They're not heavy anyway but as soon as you shoulder it, the weight disappears
    Last edited by robs5230; 07-02-2018 at 08:26 AM.
    B.A.S.C. member