Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Info wanted on Steyr hunting scout 5a

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I used the steyr adaptor and a swift stumpy modular. Just the front and rear sections with all the middle sections removed.
    Quiet enough for the range or for hunting.
    I sold mine to Neil180 on here and deeply regret doing so.
    Thanks - that sounds good.

I assume the adaptor is secured by way of grub screw - 2 screws?

wellhouse0 Guest

steyr

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    A steyr hunting scout 5a in .20... the perfect sub 12 hunting PCP?
    maybe, but i've found the the pellets can drop out of the magazine if you're not careful before loading into the 5a and more than a 5 shot mag would be nice. Perfect - nearly! (i prefer my impact from a balance/shot count/mag size point of view, mines been a good one as has my friend's) the steyr does look very nice though! Make sure whatever pellets you use are a firm fit in the magazine.
    Last edited by wellhouse0; 07-02-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoto1 View Post
    Thanks - that sounds good.

I assume the adaptor is secured by way of grub screw - 2 screws?
    Just one but the adaptor is perfect fit and alignment.
    The adaptor has a flat on it. That faces the cylinder.
    I'd recommend getting the quickfill option too. Saves buggering about removing the cylinder.
    You need to remove the cylinder to take the stock off. Little if any air is lost.

The h5 is technically brilliant
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Just one but the adaptor is perfect fit and alignment.
    The adaptor has a flat on it. That faces the cylinder.
    I'd recommend getting the quickfill option too. Saves buggering about removing the cylinder.
    You need to remove the cylinder to take the stock off. Little if any air is lost.

The h5 is technically brilliant
    Very helpful- much appreciated.

I’m seriously interested in getting one. (sooner rather than later).

Cheers

One of my friends bought a new Scout last year.
    It cost £1750.

The mag liked to jam and it is a noisy gun.
    Had quick fill fitted.

It leaked within a month and had to be fixed by the RFD.

A silencer was fitted and the gun leaked again.
    My friend was told that fitting the silencer caused the leak.

He went a bit quiet about it after all this and then he told me it had been sold.

I like a Steyr pistols but my experience with my own 110 high power was not good either.
    Cocking lever always jumped out on firing.
    No one ,including Steyr ,could permanently fix it.

I know there are many fans but the guns are not all wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    A steyr hunting scout 5a in .20... the perfect sub 12 hunting PCP?
    Do they do the scout 5a in .20 ? I can’t find it listed only for the Steyr manual cocking

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    steyr advice is do not screw cut there barrels has the choke is right at the end and it could effect the accuracy,

I have the SA in .20 and it is spot on the stock is made out of nut.
    correct i conntacted steyr technical department as i was thinking of getting the barrel screw cut as i dont like things being held on by grub screws.was told in no uncertain terms that this would ruin the barrel.btw great rifles self indexing or not.

Rowan will make you a bespoke adapter bored precisely for the OD of your barrel, assuming you can measure it with some precision.

My barrel was not truly round, and had a major and a minor diameter about a thou different.

Rowan make it a very slight clearance fit so that any corrosion will be unlikely to fix the two parts together. In my case I wrapped a layer of PTFE tape around the barrel and made it a slight interference fit. That gives the grub screws less work to do under normal circumstances.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

as for pellets being slack in the mags go for 4.53 head size in 177

I've had the .177 Steyr Scout for nearly two years and have had no major problems, it works straight out of the box.
    A few issues I have are the stocks ergonomics and it maybe just me, but I find the stocks cheek piece is very low, I use a low scope mounts with a 30mm tubed scope and just about get cheek weld, a scope with a 25mm tube and low scope mounts should give better cheek weld with the stock. Another problem is the LOP is about 13 5/8" which is perfect for off hand shooting but almost too short for me when shooting prone especially as my scope has about 4" of eye relief which means it has to be mounted well forward on the scope rail.
    Regarding mounting your scope, I took the trouble to make sure my scope mounts did not cover the barrel adjusting screws, this means I can adjust or change the barrel without removing the scope and mounts although a couple of cut down allen keys are required to get under the scopes body.
    The Scout is noisier on firing than my other air rifles as some air leaks between the barrel and magazine (no matter how finely you set the barrel) but it's not obtrusive and I doubt it'll affect hunting bags. I also had some air leaking between the silencer adaptor and barrel upon firing, so I placed a 15x1mm o-ring in the adapter to reduce this leak/noise.

I have 5 other air rifles from the usual manufacturers and the Steyr has become my 'go to' air rifle, mine is not too pellet fussy and can easily produce 1" groups at 50 meters with a range of pellets, with JSB Exacts 4.52's those groups come down to just over 1/2" at 50 meters although to be honest I'm the main problem with accuracy, even bench rested with a quality scope, I really need a quality rear rest to find out what this gun can really do.
    One way the self indexing really helps to improve your off hand, kneeling and sitting positions is you can make small but critical adjustments to your stance after each shot to steady your aim without completely breaking your shooting position to re-cock the action, so the self indexing system lets you precisely refine your shooting stance over the 5 shots available.

If I'm going to be really picky then I do resent the way this gun dictates my grooming habits, that's because the stocks cheek piece traps any facial stubble in the nutwood grain which makes my eyes water, so I have to shave before a long shooting session!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfun View Post
    I've had the .177 Steyr Scout for nearly two years and have had no major problems, it works straight out of the box.
    A few issues I have are the stocks ergonomics and it maybe just me, but I find the stocks cheek piece is very low, I use a low scope mounts with a 30mm tubed scope and just about get cheek weld, a scope with a 25mm tube and low scope mounts should give better cheek weld with the stock. Another problem is the LOP is about 13 5/8" which is perfect for off hand shooting but almost too short for me when shooting prone especially as my scope has about 4" of eye relief which means it has to be mounted well forward on the scope rail.
    Regarding mounting your scope, I took the trouble to make sure my scope mounts did not cover the barrel adjusting screws, this means I can adjust or change the barrel without removing the scope and mounts although a couple of cut down allen keys are required to get under the scopes body.
    The Scout is noisier on firing than my other air rifles as some air leaks between the barrel and magazine (no matter how finely you set the barrel) but it's not obtrusive and I doubt it'll affect hunting bags. I also had some air leaking between the silencer adaptor and barrel upon firing, so I placed a 15x1mm o-ring in the adapter to reduce this leak/noise.

I have 5 other air rifles from the usual manufacturers and the Steyr has become my 'go to' air rifle, mine is not too pellet fussy and can easily produce 1" groups at 50 meters with a range of pellets, with JSB Exacts 4.52's those groups come down to just over 1/2" at 50 meters although to be honest I'm the main problem with accuracy, even bench rested with a quality scope, I really need a quality rear rest to find out what this gun can really do.
    One way the self indexing really helps to improve your off hand, kneeling and sitting positions is you can make small but critical adjustments to your stance after each shot to steady your aim without completely breaking your shooting position to re-cock the action, so the self indexing system lets you precisely refine your shooting stance over the 5 shots available.

If I'm going to be really picky then I do resent the way this gun dictates my grooming habits, that's because the stocks cheek piece traps any facial stubble in the nutwood grain which makes my eyes water, so I have to shave before a long shooting session!
    Hi gunfun ,thanks for that info ! I am probably going to bite the bullet and order the scout auto tomorrow so can you tell me how often you need to adjust the mag alignment and did you have any probs with pellets falling through certain mags as if they were slightly different size bores ? I will be mainly using it for hunting with the occasional range day so would prefer it to be fairly quiet ,have you heard it fire from any distance ? As you say it is noisier than your other guns .also do you know what ftlbs it was doing out the box ? Many thanks Mike.

Mine was full length in 22 cal and consumed JSB 5.51 or 5.52 with equal relish and without dropping them. It wasn't all that noisy either, but then it was full length.

Out of the box the power didn't need any enhancement.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Mine was full length in 22 cal and consumed JSB 5.51 or 5.52 with equal relish and without dropping them. It wasn't all that noisy either, but then it was full length.

Out of the box the power didn't need any enhancement.
    Thanks Rich that’s good to know ,although I will be going for the .177 . Mike

Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post
    Hi gunfun ,thanks for that info ! I am probably going to bite the bullet and order the scout auto tomorrow so can you tell me how often you need to adjust the mag alignment and did you have any probs with pellets falling through certain mags as if they were slightly different size bores ? I will be mainly using it for hunting with the occasional range day so would prefer it to be fairly quiet ,have you heard it fire from any distance ? As you say it is noisier than your other guns .also do you know what ftlbs it was doing out the box ? Many thanks Mike.
    Hi Nuggs, I've only adjusted the barrel twice, first when I first got the gun I spent a couple of hours playing with the barrel adjustment (chronoing it and seeing how tight I could get the barrel to magazine adjustment before it stopped indexing) and the second time about 12 months later so for me it doesn't need frequent adjustment, although some micro wear must take place and need eliminating every so often.

I've used some 4.51mm pellets in my magazines and some will fall back out if you turn the magazine upside down but they don't fall through the magazine (like the magazine chambers are slightly tapered), AA DF's 4.52 fit snugly in my magazines and stay put in the chambers if handled gently.
    I haven't hunted with mine nor have I heard it shot from a distance yet so I can't comment on noise levels from this point of view (sound?), all I can say is it is louder for the shooter than my HW100 but much quieter than my AA Prosport springer.

Regards the power setting from new, I imported mine from Holland and with 8.4 gr pellets it was running about 11.8 fpe so it needed adjusting down in power for 10.3 grain pellets but this is very easy to do.

I'm sure you're going to love your new Scout, if you get the 5A make sure you have plenty of air and pellets when it arrives as practising double and treble taps sure uses a lot of both, also be aware you'll need to adopt a new safety catch regime compared to using a multi shot bolt action air rifle. All the best.

I bought a second hand hunting 5 a few months ago. It is absolutely awesome and I love it. It is the manual version and even that gets through ammo like you cant believe - the biatlon lever is a joy to operate and the mag indexing system is like a swiss watch in operation. Superbly accurate rifle - I shoot at my dueling tree at 62 yards (the full length of the garden) and it is brilliant. Get one - you wont regret it!
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles