Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Info wanted on Steyr hunting scout 5a

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfun View Post
    Hi Nuggs, I've only adjusted the barrel twice, first when I first got the gun I spent a couple of hours playing with the barrel adjustment (chronoing it and seeing how tight I could get the barrel to magazine adjustment before it stopped indexing) and the second time about 12 months later so for me it doesn't need frequent adjustment, although some micro wear must take place and need eliminating every so often.

I've used some 4.51mm pellets in my magazines and some will fall back out if you turn the magazine upside down but they don't fall through the magazine (like the magazine chambers are slightly tapered), AA DF's 4.52 fit snugly in my magazines and stay put in the chambers if handled gently.
    I haven't hunted with mine nor have I heard it shot from a distance yet so I can't comment on noise levels from this point of view (sound?), all I can say is it is louder for the shooter than my HW100 but much quieter than my AA Prosport springer.

Regards the power setting from new, I imported mine from Holland and with 8.4 gr pellets it was running about 11.8 fpe so it needed adjusting down in power for 10.3 grain pellets but this is very easy to do.

I'm sure you're going to love your new Scout, if you get the 5A make sure you have plenty of air and pellets when it arrives as practising double and treble taps sure uses a lot of both, also be aware you'll need to adopt a new safety catch regime compared to using a multi shot bolt action air rifle. All the best.
    Great stuff ,many thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by neil180 View Post
    I bought a second hand hunting 5 a few months ago. It is absolutely awesome and I love it. It is the manual version and even that gets through ammo like you cant believe - the biatlon lever is a joy to operate and the mag indexing system is like a swiss watch in operation. Superbly accurate rifle - I shoot at my dueling tree at 62 yards (the full length of the garden) and it is brilliant. Get one - you wont regret it!
    Thanks ,I think I am going for it .Mike

Just put the deposit down and should be here Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post
    Just put the deposit down and should be here Wednesday
    On a downer now as just been told 3-5 week wait as they’ve run out of barrels for the scout 🤬

Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    correct i conntacted steyr technical department as i was thinking of getting the barrel screw cut as i dont like things being held on by grub screws.was told in no uncertain terms that this would ruin the barrel.btw great rifles self indexing or not.
    I was also thinking of getting the barrel screw cut.
    I find it difficult top believe that it would affect the accuracy.
    Under that theory any airgun that's choked shouldn't have the barrel screw cut?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by offtarget View Post
    Depends on the thickness of the barrel maybe?
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Depends on the thickness of the barrel maybe?
    If it can take a 1/2 inch UNF thread. I would have thought it would be thick enough.

With the scout the issue is there isn't enough barrel protruding past the cylinder.
    Also given the excellent fit of their adapter there doesn't seem to be any need at all.

Quote Originally Posted by offtarget View Post
    I don't know how Steyr manufacture their barrels rifling but if they're buttoned or hammer forged the immense forces used in these processes gives the barrel steel a kind of slightly stressed grain pattern and outer/inner 'skin', when you machine such a barrel you relieve stresses in the grain pattern and skin which can distort the bore and crown causing inaccuracy.
    http://www.firearmsid.com/feature%20...anufacture.htm
    Considering the risk and cost of Steyr barrels (about 4 or 5 times the cost of my HW100 barrel) I'd stick with the Steyr silencer adaptor.

I don't know how Steyr manufacture their barrels rifling but if they're buttoned or hammer forged the immense forces used in these processes gives the barrel steel a kind of slightly stressed grain pattern and outer/inner 'skin', when you machine such a barrel you relieve stresses in the grain pattern and skin which can distort the bore and crown causing inaccuracy.
    Considering the risk and cost of Steyr barrels (about 4 or 5 times the cost of my HW100 barrel) I'd stick with the Steyr silencer adaptor.
    I have ordered the adapter with the gun and will be using that great tip about using a piece of o ring in front of the grubscrew ! Just got to wait now

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    A steyr hunting scout 5a in .20... the perfect sub 12 hunting PCP?
    speaking to steyr uk a few months ago they were discontinuing the .20. I have the full length and never have found any issues with the barrel coming loose. Best fittings had a steyr adaptor if my memory is correct in both silver and black. Mine runs superb on H&N ftt's. Stupid accuracy from it returning sub half inch groups easily at 60 mtrs. That was indoors off shooting bags with very little input from me apart from touching the trigger!

Thanks for your reply. Very Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post
    On a downer now as just been told 3-5 week wait as they’ve run out of barrels for the scout 🤬
    That's a bummer, only to be told you now have to wait a few more weeks. where are you getting yours from.
    Am so tempted buying a scout too. Not too sure of manual or SA yet.

Next rifle I’ll buy will be the scout SA in .22.
    I remember wanting one years back score they were released and posting a link on here, only to watch the thread descend into handbag waving argument about how they were a danger to the sport etc etc.
    Sometimes I’m glad to be ignorant
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid7Nick View Post
    That's a bummer, only to be told you now have to wait a few more weeks. where are you getting yours from.
    Am so tempted buying a scout too. Not too sure of manual or SA yet.
    It is a bummmer mate ,nearly 2 weeks out the way now so could be hearing from them soon ordered it from local rfd through Steyr UK . I think I’ve read every write up and looked at every picture on the web lol cant wait .Mike.