Thread: Question for the Webley enthusiasts

Question for the Webley enthusiasts

Was the Turkish Longbow any good? How did it compare to the Birmingham made rifle, if worse in what aspect. Will they ever be collectable?

average, not a patch, doubt it

"But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Longbow

The Turkey longbow hasn't got a good name due the quality just isn't there, cheaper built.. Brumbow's are far nicer and will always be more collectable. Mach 1.5

missed one - every
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    missed one - every
    Made me smile that did

Never had one. I own a proper Brum one.

From memory, the first few Turkish ones were basically unassembled Brum-made parts from the Webley "fire sale" put together in Turkey. They could be good. They also could be odd: there's at least one "Longbow" out there in the US with a cylinder saying it's an Omega (and the Omega had been out of production ten years before Webley collapsed).

There may then have been a few with a questionable mix of old Brum and new Turk parts.

Then the Turks made them. Mostly as the SE thumbhole model with a rather sexy walnut stock, but questionable fit and finish.

I think the consensus is that the Turkish SE is often a bit crap, but that a properly fettled/V-Mach kitted Turkish SE can be made into a nice thing. Just not with old-style Webley bluing and fit and finish.

Or just buy a proper Birmingham one. Saves the hassle, will not lose value, or find snobs like me () looking down at it.

All that said, a cheap Turkish SE does have, properly tuned/sorted, potential as a sort of better HW95 equivalent.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post

average, not a patch, every, doubt it

This, as fixed (lol).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.