Thread: Hw99 piston buttons

Hw99 piston buttons

Hi

Has anyone had experience with buttoning a hw99s?

Was there any noticeable gain in smoothness or was in not really worth the effort?

I have shot an AirArms with rings but never fired a buttoned gun.

I did and I do.
    All of my springer pistons.
    I even buttoned the piston of my HW90 GasRam.

Because I think to get out the utmost of any slack between piston and system tube awa any possible metal-to-metal contact is advantageous for smoothness and thus accuracy so not only while cocking only but most important at shooting.

Thanks.

Maybe something I attempt.

Did it do anything to reduce hold sensitivity? I'd imagine lock time would stay the same buttons or not? I appreciate all spring guns suffering from this and it can't be eliminated completely.

On your HW pistons, some people mention they are hardened at the rear. Did you encounter any problem drilling?

hi iv buttoned my hw99s on the front and rear [you don't have to do front but did mine while it was down] I hade to take a bit of metal of all my HW pistons iv buttond at the rear if you don't the buttons are very thin proberly about 6 thou thick, that's proberly why tunners are fitting bands in now . my HW99S was dead rough as std when cocking now its smooth and shoots ok but still not accurate [ bit of work to do on the barrel I think ] imo the 99s is not a good engineered rifle like the hw95 it has some issues .but everything can be sorted out with a bit of time
    atb john
    ATB JOHN
    hw 100, hw80 mk1, smk xs20, bsa scorpion pistol, feinwerkbau 127, hw99s

That's a shame re the accuracy, John. I have two and they're both very accurate and many other people also report the same.

Hope you get it just as you want.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

hopefully if I do get it accurate tony it will be a nice rifle as thay have a lot going for them ,light ,short, nice looks, good trigger, full power now . I only bought it after seeing what all the fuss was about the Sandwell field sports imp was . I think im right in saying that HW had some issues a couple of years ago with some of there barrels not being machined right ? . it shoots good groups for 3-4 pellets at 35 yd then the next 2-3 pellets are 2 ins away from each other, strange ANY HELP APPRECIATED ?.a new barrel might be needed at this point
    atb john
    ATB JOHN

Cheers

Good point about removing metal. I saw someone do this on YouTube.

Shame about the barrel. Mines more accurate than I am. I find the hold sensitivity / inconsistent technique on my side and head position / parallex throws a group out for me. It clover leafs at 17 yards. In more skilled hands I'd imagine the groups would tigthen further.

Is the barrel locking consistently?

Did you use 6mm rod?

Quote Originally Posted by gibboj View Post
    hopefully if I do get it accurate tony it will be a nice rifle as thay have a lot going for them ,light ,short, nice looks, good trigger, full power now . I only bought it after seeing what all the fuss was about the Sandwell field sports imp was . I think im right in saying that HW had some issues a couple of years ago with some of there barrels not being machined right ? . it shoots good groups for 3-4 pellets at 35 yd then the next 2-3 pellets are 2 ins away from each other, strange ANY HELP APPRECIATED ?.a new barrel might be needed at this point
    atb john
    Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post

Is the barrel locking consistently?
    I do seem to remember something about a bad batch of barrels on HWs, John. I could be wrong, but I seem to think that this only applied to some HW100s?

I have never felt the need, and don't know if you have done so already, but giving the barrel a thorough clean may help? And then some pellet testing.

And, as per the above post, yes, give the detent a lube and see if that helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

i used 4mm delrin rod on all my pistons , i think 6mm is a bit to big by the time you have three in . and the piston is easy to drill out it not hard steel .i drill a 3mm holes in the piston cut a 10mm piece of 4mm delrin rod put it in a drill and force it into the 3mm hole while applying pressure with the drill turning [ it melts the 4mm rod into the 3mm hole ] sounds a bit wearied but it work for me . back to my 99 barrel it never shoot good as a std lengh barrel so i chopped about 4 ins of it and fitted a barrel weight and recrowed it , still poor, cleaned the barrel 3-4 times , no better, tried all types of pellets when new all shoot the same , then made a piece of steel template put it in 6 tone press and rechoked the barrel again [if HW are choked as std ?] , still the same .iv just bought a 5.2mm reamer , the breach feels a bit tight on this barrel so im going to reamer it out and then lash the barrel on the inside , then a good clean again
    atb john
    ATB JOHN