Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Petition To Drop Plans For Licensing Air Guns

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Don't hold your breath . The huge response will be be from the furball brigade I know my neighbour sent in a response and she works part time for the cats protection here And had it on her facebook page asking her friends to respond in favour of the furballs .

And she knows I shoot airguns .
    I anticipate there to be a lot of responses from the furry lot, but how many will be reasoned, logical responses offering any sort of evidence which the review asked for? We will never know. I'm confident the responses from the shooting community and those that represent us would have been evidence based and hope the importance of shooting for our economy was repeated over and over. I have a horrible feeling we have something coming in the form of more regs but hopefully it revolves around stricter storage and penalties which will not destroy our sport. Until the HO show their hand though, all we can do is speculate. I'm just going to try and forget about it and go out and enjoy my shooting
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    I anticipate there to be a lot of responses from the furry lot, but how many will be reasoned, logical responses offering any sort of evidence which the review asked for? We will never know. I'm confident the responses from the shooting community and those that represent us would have been evidence based and hope the importance of shooting for our economy was repeated over and over. I have a horrible feeling we have something coming in the form of more regs but hopefully it revolves around stricter storage and penalties which will not destroy our sport. Until the HO show their hand though, all we can do is speculate. I'm just going to try and forget about it and go out and enjoy my shooting
    Stricter storage ?

If that is the case. well you better find a cabinet that will fit peoples collections as that is the only other way than there is in place now. And by the sounds of it not many people abide by that legislation. Children in the house and the airgun is under the owners bed in a gunslip

If some of the idiots that use the facebook groups have responded then I hope they did not go overboard .I know one that was on the No to the scottish airgun licensing one and he said he would shoot the police if they came to take his guns . He was not going to licence his either . From my cold dead hands he said

There is others on these pages that will openly shoot birds that are not on the general licence or try to shoot rabbits with pistols (there was one on another forum that was banned for posting threads about it ) .

These people can do as much harm when they start misquoting thing then send then to the consultation .

I seriously hope the views from shooter's were factual and not full of bull .
    Last edited by bighit; 13-03-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Stricter storage ?

If that is the case. well you better find a cabinet that will fit peoples collections as that is the only other way than there is in place now. And by the sounds of it not many people abide by that legislation. Children in the house and the airgun is under the owners bed in a gunslip

If some of the idiots that use the facebook groups have responded then I hope they did not go overboard .I know one that was on the No to the scottish airgun licensing one and he said he would shoot the police if they came to take his guns . He was not going to licence his either . From my cold dead hands he said

There is others on these pages that will openly shoot birds that are not on the general licence or try to shoot rabbits with pistols (there was one on another forum that was banned for posting threads about it ) .

These people can do as much harm when they start misquoting thing then send then to the consultation .

I seriously hope the views from shooter's were factual and not full of bull .
    There's morons in all walks of life and hobbies. I also fish and have met some right numpties in my time. They have always existed, always will and will always be a minority and shouldn't be allowed to ruin things for the majority. In the past, you'd meet these folk face to face and could look them in the eye and tell them they're full of s**t. Now in the world of social media, they become keyboard warriors and post utter carp for the world to see. But they're still a minority and one can only hope karma comes and gets them.

By stricter storage rules, I mean I suspect the existing laws will be re-written and increased to specify certain storage criteria such as trigger locks or locked storage cabinets or cupboards. In reality, I have no idea what they're going to recommend but all the government comments and the replies some of us have had from the HO, the questions asked in the extended review and the things the Lord's were saying - the issue of storage is brought up far more than anything else and seems to be the way this is heading. But who knows what these self righteous, know it all politicians will suggest to make the world a safer place
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    There's morons in all walks of life and hobbies. I also fish and have met some right numpties in my time. They have always existed, always will and will always be a minority and shouldn't be allowed to ruin things for the majority. In the past, you'd meet these folk face to face and could look them in the eye and tell them they're full of s**t. Now in the world of social media, they become keyboard warriors and post utter carp for the world to see. But they're still a minority and one can only hope karma comes and gets them.

By stricter storage rules, I mean I suspect the existing laws will be re-written and increased to specify certain storage criteria such as trigger locks or locked storage cabinets or cupboards. In reality, I have no idea what they're going to recommend but all the government comments and the replies some of us have had from the HO, the questions asked in the extended review and the things the Lord's were saying - the issue of storage is brought up far more than anything else and seems to be the way this is heading. But who knows what these self righteous, know it all politicians will suggest to make the world a safer place
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...r-lock-and-key
    From 10 February, owners will be liable for a fine of up to £1000 if they do not take reasonable precautions to stop unauthorised access to their airgun by people under the age of 18. Safety leaflets informing new owners of the offence will be also be included with every air gun purchased.

Home Office statement
    Home Office crime prevention minister James Brokenshire said: ‘For the vast majority of responsible airgun owners, keeping their weapon safely locked up is routine. But when an air gun is allowed to get in to the wrong hands the consequences can be tragic.

‘Although serious incidents are rare, there have been cases in recent years where children have got hold of carelessly stored airguns that have resulted in severe injuries and even deaths. We want to do everything in our power to keep the risk of such incidents to an absolute minimum.

‘With this new legislation, we are saying there is no excuse. If you do not keep your airgun safely away from children you will be prosecuted.’

No additional burden
    Adrian Whiting, Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) lead on Firearms and Licensing said: ‘The police service supports this control on the security of air weapons. Responsible owners already take sensible precautions to ensure safe storage of their air weapons. This control will place no additional burden on them.

‘Sadly, there have been deaths caused by air weapons and frequently the victims are children. For those owners who have a lax attitude to storage, this provision should encourage them to take action to improve safety.

‘ACPO has been involved in the work leading to this order which we hope will improve the security of air weapons and prevent harm and serious injuries.’

How to keep your weapon safe:

store your airgun out of sight and separately from pellets
    use a robust, lockable cupboard and keep the keys separate and secure
    always store your airgun inside a house rather than in an out building, such as a garden shed
    never store a cocked or loaded airgun
    when using your airgun, keep it under close supervision and never leave it unattended

Its already in place . They will just be repeating the law that all ready there.
    The other version in PDF
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-to-safety.pdf
    Last edited by bighit; 13-03-2018 at 10:13 PM.

The Government has responded to the petition:

The Government is reviewing the regulation of air weapons in England and Wales. The review is looking at relevant issues such as access by young people, safe storage and manufacturing standards.

The Government announced a review of the regulation of air weapons in England and Wales following a request from the Suffolk coroner in his report into the death of Benjamin Wragge, aged 13, who was accidentally shot with an air weapon in May 2016.

Although no licence is required to possess most air weapons in England and Wales, they are nevertheless regulated. In particular, it is an offence for a person aged under 18 to purchase or hire an air weapon or ammunition, and it is an offence to sell, hire or gift an air weapon or ammunition to a person aged under 18. It is also an offence for a person aged under 18 to possess an air weapon or ammunition unless:
    • they are being supervised by a person aged 21 or over, or
    • they are shooting as a member of an approved target shooting club, or
    • they are using air weapons at a shooting gallery, or
    • the young person is aged 14 or over, is on private premises and has the consent of the occupier.

The Crime and Security Act 2010 brought in legislation concerned with reducing the risk of children getting hold of air weapons and accidentally harming themselves or others. This inserted a provision into the Firearms Act 1968 that requires owners to take reasonable precautions to prevent a person under the age of 18 from gaining unauthorised access to an air weapon.
    The Government has sought the views of interested parties on relevant issues, including secure storage and the arrangements to prevent children gaining access to air weapons, manufacturing standards, and on the position in Scotland and Northern Ireland where air weapons are licensed. The Government has received a large number of representations about the review and these will be considered carefully before any decisions are made about how to proceed.

Home Office

Looks like a cut and paste job to me.
    Danny

Northern Ireland where air weapons are licensed
    no power restrictions either, not to mention they still have hand guns
    ballkeeper

So, "The Government has responded to the petition"....
    and in doing so have reacted in the way they said they would, i.e. at 10,000 the government would respond.
    End of.
    Expect no further reaction from them until/if the petition gets to 100,000.
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    no power restrictions either, not to mention they still have hand guns
    And stored in a Cabinet . so lets hope they don't follow that route

Yes some want a higher power limit but I doubt the collectors would be wanting to buy loads of cabinets or turn a room into a gun room

Cant have it one way and not the other .
    Last edited by bighit; 15-03-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bhodge View Post
    So, "The Government has responded to the petition"....
    and in doing so have reacted in the way they said they would, i.e. at 10,000 the government would respond.
    End of.
    Expect no further reaction from them until/if the petition gets to 100,000.
    The result of the review by the HO will be published long before that. I can't see it getting even close to 100k.
    Danny