Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition To Drop Plans For Licensing Air Guns

mmm sad to hear about this. Will that mean licencing required on all air rifles and fts/lbs power settings ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zambi666 View Post
    mmm sad to hear about this. Will that mean licencing required on all air rifles and fts/lbs power settings ?
    They seem to be leaning towards the Scottish type of licensing fiasco.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    They seem to be leaning towards the Scottish type of licensing fiasco.

A.G
    We don't know what they're leaning towards. The review literature suggests stricter storage and access legislation. The more in-depth review questions had a number related to licensing but those questions have been asked before and licensing has not been introduced as a result. Scotland was a complete different situation - the SNP made it a manifesto promise no matter what, even though evidence suggested falling offences year on year. In reality, we have no idea what they're thinking until they publish their conclusions. When they will get around to doing this is anyone's guess. All I do know, is that never before have our police forces been so underfunded and overstretched compare to now making licensing in England and Wales even more difficult than it would have been in the past
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    We don't know what they're leaning towards. The review literature suggests stricter storage and access legislation. The more in-depth review questions had a number related to licensing but those questions have been asked before and licensing has not been introduced as a result. Scotland was a complete different situation - the SNP made it a manifesto promise no matter what, even though evidence suggested falling offences year on year. In reality, we have no idea what they're thinking until they publish their conclusions. When they will get around to doing this is anyone's guess. All I do know, is that never before have our police forces been so underfunded and overstretched compare to now making licensing in England and Wales even more difficult than it would have been in the past
    I think that you have not seen/read the questionaire that was sent to BASC and Countryside Alliance. They specifically asked them about their opinions regarding the licesning of all Airrifles. The robust reply of the Countryside Alliance to that specific question and posting of their reply on the relevant social media was rather unusual and welcome. Licensing of some form and or the other is 100% on the governments agenda and they are testing the waters for reactions. The Scottish ' experiment ' is a good choice as it has been tested and hence the UK authoritis could avoid the pitfalls of their introduction.

A.G

Up here its not the firearms office that deal with the licensing. Its a separate department .that'd not say it will stay that way mind you . Police scotland brought it up and the Government must have decided it was worth setting up a separate department .

Zambi666

This is the way the scottish police have done it

http://airweapon.scot/faqs/

some main points
    Unsure if you will need a certificate?
    Broadly speaking, if your airgun can fire a missile with a muzzle energy above 1 joule but below 12 foot pounds (or 6 foot pounds for an air pistol) you will need to get a certificate or permit. Air weapons with muzzle energy above these levels are likely to need a firearms certificate. If in doubt, ask your firearms dealer or the police.

Are component parts of an air weapon covered?
    Yes, you will need a certificate to own or acquire individual components of an air weapon. This generally means parts which are required to fire the gun. Accessories like sights or stands do not need a certificate.

Are sound moderators (silencers) covered?
    Yes, you will need a licence to own or acquire a sound moderator for an air weapon.

If I’m a member of an approved air weapon club?
    No, as long as you only borrow air weapons at the club. This includes borrowing air weapons from certificate holders at the club. You can also use borrowed weapons at other venues – for example at a competition – as long as it’s part of the club’s activities.

If you own your own air weapons, or use them in activities not connected with the club (including practising at home), then you will need a licence.

If there’s an air weapon in my attic that I never/rarely use?
    Yes. It will be an offence to own an air weapon without a licence, even if you don’t use it. If you don’t have a good reason for keeping the air weapon then you should consider selling it, passing it on to someone else or handing it in to the police.

If I collect air weapons but never fire them?
    Yes. If the air weapons are capable of being fired then you will need a licence to possess them.

Other questions
    Will the police visit me at home?
    They may do – and they may reject your application if you refuse to give them access. However, for the majority of applications home visits should not be needed.

Will I still be able to “plink” in my garden?
    That depends on the arrangements you have in place. It’s not the intention to ban all plinking, provided it can be done safely. It is your responsibility to consider if this can be done safely, and to provide evidence of this in support of your application. Shooting in areas to which the public have unrestricted access, such as communal gardens or similar areas will not generally be acceptable.

Will air weapons need to be stored in a firearms cabinet?
    No, although this is an ideal place to store them. However, the guidelines on security and storage won’t change from what they are just now.

Current Home Office guidance is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ty-leaflet.pdf.

Will I get compensation for my air weapon if I hand it in to the police?
    No, there will not be compensation, but you can decide to pass on or sell the air weapon rather than hand it in to the police.

There is more information on the page if you want to check it out.

I think that you have not seen/read the questionaire that was sent to BASC and Countryside Alliance. They specifically asked them about their opinions regarding the licesning of all Airrifles. The robust reply of the Countryside Alliance to that specific question and posting of their reply on the relevant social media was rather unusual and welcome. Licensing of some form and or the other is 100% on the governments agenda and they are testing the waters for reactions. The Scottish ' experiment ' is a good choice as it has been tested and hence the UK authoritis could avoid the pitfalls of their introduction.

A.G
    Would not mind seeing that, is there a way to get hold of it?
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

A.G
    I was the one who posted the CA's response on this forum and the airgunforum. I was chasing the CA right up until the submission deadline when they submitted as they were waiting on a review of their technical wording to their draft version I was told. I posted it here on the deadline day. Read it and noted the two questions regarding licensing specifically but nothing to suggest this has already been decided and there were other questions specifically about storage and manufacturing - why would these be asked if the government has decided on licensing? These would all fall under a new licence regime. Licensing has been proposed in the past and I know that Scotland is now a model, but Northern Ireland has always been one. The HO always stated it would take stock of the situations in Scotland and NI so i expected there to be questions about licensing. There has always been antis arguing for licensing in the past and with the police at full stretch and the many more millions of airguns in circulation in England and Wales, I'm just saying it's not a forgone conclusion and can be rejected. I think we need to remain calm until the HO publish anything and the sooner this petition passes 10,000 and makes its way to Nick Hurd, the better.

Link to CA's response
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ultation/page6
    Last edited by danco1987; 23-02-2018 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Link added
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

I was the one who posted the CA's response on this forum and the airgunforum. I was chasing the CA right up until the submission deadline when they submitted as they were waiting on a review of their technical wording to their draft version I was told. I posted it here on the deadline day. Read it and noted the sections on licensing specifically but licensing has been proposed in the past and I know the Scotland is now a model, but Northern Ireland has always been one. The HO always stated it would take stock of the situations in Scotland and NI so i expected there to be questions about licensing. There has always been antis arguing for licensing in the past and with the police at full stretch and the many more millions of airguns in circulation in England and Wales, I'm just saying it's not a forgone conclusion and can be rejected, like it has been in the past. I think we need to remain calm until the HO publish anything and the sooner this petition passes 10,000 and makes its way to Nick Hurd, the better.

Link to CA's response
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ultation/page6
    I read it on the facebook and in an email from a fellow shooter so I stand corrected . In between here, the local gun club and the shooting range I seem to forget what and where I have read and got info from. Anyhow I am glad that the petition is near 10000 now.

A.G

Longbenton North Tyneside. +Dinnington FTC.
    Just signed.

Thanks for the link, I recall you posting that but did not spot the additional questions at the end asking for comments from selected groups (only) about licensing.

Bump,

Reached 10,000...and rising.

Signed
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Petition

I cannot believe, so few people have signed this, just over 10,000 up to now. Either people do not care their outcome, or just sit back and think my vote will not make any difference so why bother. only 10,000 people own an air rifle throughout England and Wales, pretty poor turn out when the Cats Protection have over 90,000 on their petition against air rifles.
    Wake up people get your mates, Dads,Moms and as many people you know on your side and get signing.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I think the petition is completely pointless in it's present wording.

"Drop any proposals to licence airguns in England & Wales"

If there are no proposals at this time the discussion is pointless since there will be no outcome. This will also not affect any future proposals since no parliament can bind it's successor (which includes itself a while later).

It is premature and dangerous to petition in this way. It is not a petition against anything concrete, it will not be remembered when/if there is any such proposal, and will only dilute responses to any future petition when there is something concrete on the cards.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL