Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition To Drop Plans For Licensing Air Guns

Been a few years

As title it's been a few years from the last time of been on here. Iv'e not shot since i lost my shooting partner (uncle) bob about 7 years since.
    Anyway iv'e done me bit and i'm back out shooting with my bro in law and enjoying it almost as much as i did back then.
    Purchased a new rifle thank's to Mekon88(Chris)
    why come strait to the point when you can beat about the bush

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Most petitions of this kind are by people that don't do any research and just type a load of unfounded bull and people follow like sheep and sign it .

I'm not saying the Info in this one is bull but some things can be pulled apart as I have done numerous times on here when people type out loads of stuff but they have not looked at the facts as per the license scheme up here and the number of licenses issued and they then claim there is 400.000 + unlicensed airgun owners up here because only 30.000 licenses have been issued .

There is nowhere near that number of unlicensed airguns here due to people with FAC and SGC license being able to possess and use them until their firearms or shotgun license needs renewed plus some people own more than one airgun

that is why petitions like this when required are better left to the people that KNOW the full fact before setting one up and then having it looked on as an informed request rather than an airgun owner that does not know the facts and making himself look uninformed .
    How many guns have been handed in? Are there figures for this or do we just not know?

What would you guess is the number of people who have sold up their stuff and left the sport?

How many people have FAC licenses in Scotland? Are statistics available?

People in the airgun community tend to discuss these sorts of things, and anecdotal evidence is better than nothing.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    How many guns have been handed in? Are there figures for this or do we just not know?
    20.000 or so handed in.
    What would you guess is the number of people who have sold up their stuff and left the sport?I have no clue

How many people have FAC licenses and shotgun license's in Scotland? Are statistics available? 2013 figures Scotland has fewer people with firearm licences but they own more guns, the latest statistics have shown.

By the end of last year, 141,569 shotguns were held on certificate along with 72,005 firearms. Those figures represented a 10-year high.The number of licences issued by the end of 2012 was 48,168, which represented a 10-year low.

People in the airgun community tend to discuss these sorts of things, and anecdotal evidence is better than nothing.yes and rightly so but when you type out a post that includes other parts of the countries regulation , Is it not better to have researched it before posting? [/COLOR]
    The fact remains though that there is people who collect airguns and they could have hundreds of airguns in their collections. and the fact that there is no serial numbers recorded on license here (airgun license) there could be thousands of collectors with hundreds of guns in their collection and no one would know how many they had.

Look at the combined number of FAC and SGC license then look at the amount of firearms held, 48 thousand or so licenses in scotland and they account for 213 thousand or so firearms . so some license holders have more than on firearm on their license.

I know for a fact it is true as My old boss had 12 shotguns and sold me one and another of his friends one to make space for another rifle
    . He had 4 rifles too
    Proves my point does it not ?
    Last edited by bighit; 01-03-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Firearm stats as of 2015 for England

There were more than 1.3 million shotguns and covered by licences at the end of March, official data showed.

The combined total of 1,863,524 is the largest recorded since statistics were first collected in 1995.

There were 153,603 firearms certificates, which cover guns other than shotguns such as rifles, on issue earlier this year - the highest number since 1988. A certificate can cover several guns

The number of shotgun certificates fell slightly to 582,494, but they covered 1,338,399 guns - the highest number since the year ending March 2010.

So 582,494 shotgun owners own 1,338,399 between them so I guess some have more than one shotgun
    and 153,603 FAC holders own 525,125 other firearms between . so some own more than one rifle or pistols

so could the same be said for the 20,000 airgun licenses issued in scotland and the ones that are being held on current FAC and sgc licenses until 2021 ? some people have more than one Airgun?
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...d-high-6509872
    Last edited by bighit; 01-03-2018 at 09:29 PM.

There are a couple of ' interesting ' articles in the last issue of the AGW. One is to do with a young lad fitting a security cabinet,, to place his sub 12ft.lbs weapon . The other is to do with the Scottish licensing a year on. It is a long article and the the writer has raised some questions with the Scottish police using the freedom of information act. He seems to suggest that the police didn't want to have anything to do with this crazy scheme. He also suggests that at the last good estimate there were 500000 airguns in circulation in Scotland so the police answers should clear how many of them are still unlicensed or as he put it, kept at the back of the cupboard.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    There are a couple of ' interesting ' articles in the last issue of the AGW. One is to do with a young lad fitting a security cabinet,, to place his sub 12ft.lbs weapon . The other is to do with the Scottish licensing a year on. It is a long article and the the writer has raised some questions with the Scottish police using the freedom of information act. He seems to suggest that the police didn't want to have anything to do with this crazy scheme. He also suggests that at the last good estimate there were 500000 airguns in circulation in Scotland so the police answers should clear how many of them are still unlicensed or as he put it, kept at the back of the cupboard.

A.G
    How much do you have invested in airguns Ali ? A few grand ? Now imagine if someone came in and lifted them all .

They may only slow a thief down but they could save you losing them if the thief gives up and leaves with just your TV .

There is a fair few airgunners on here that use a gun cabinet even though the safe storage regulation does not require a cabinet for sub 12ft lbs airguns
    Last edited by bighit; 01-03-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    How much do you have invested in airguns Ali ? A few grand ? Now imagine if someone came in and lifted them all .

They may only slow a thief down but they could save you losing them if the thief gives up and leaves with just your TV .

There is a fair few airgunners on here that use a gun cabinet even though the safe storage regulation does not require a cabinet for sub 12ft lbs airgun
    Just get a pet rottweiler and your guns and home and family are secure

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just get a pet rottweiler and your guns and home and family are secure
    Ok if you own your own home some landlords don't allow pets and if you have one without their permission you could end up homeless

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Ok if you own your own home some landlords don't allow pets and if you have one without their permission you could end up homeless
    But surely if they allow airguns they would allow pets, maybe i'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    But surely if they allow airguns they would allow pets, maybe i'm wrong
    Do Airguns bark when the postman comes to your your door ? Do airguns poop in your garden and you then do not clean it up so the communal garden is covered in dog poop? Do airguns chew the skirting boards or scratch the doors to bits when you leave the house ?

some other reasons why they dont allows pets
    Pets can be destructive and messy, especially if they aren’t looked after properly.
    Pets can smell, especially if their hygiene is neglected by their owners. From my personal experience, most dogs and cats leave behind a scent that are usually immune to the pet-owner. Just saying.
    Pets can be disturbing towards neighbours e.g. dogs barking at unsocial hours. It’s important for landlords to keep healthy relationships with neighbours.
    Many landlords are hesitant to allow pets as they may affect subsequent tenants who may have allergies.
    After a tenant with a pet moves out, there maybe an extra financial cost involved for cleaning the property thoroughly.
    Pets that don’t receive regular treatment are at high risk of catching fleas, which can quickly infest the property.
    If you’re letting a furnished property, be wary that pets (especially cats, dogs and rabbits) are known to be destructive towards furniture e.g. sofas.

And I know not all owners dogs bark at the postman or they do clean up after their dogs but they tend to say No to stop others that don't look after their dogs from doing so.

I had to ask mine before we brought the girlfriends hamster int my flat when she moved in. They were fine with maisie moving in . In fact its part of my housing agreement to ask before my girlfriend (now my wife) could move in . Yes really.
    they class your partner a s a second tennant classed as a second tennant. Maybe not all landlords but some do.
    Last edited by bighit; 01-03-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    There are a couple of ' interesting ' articles in the last issue of the AGW. One is to do with a young lad fitting a security cabinet,, to place his sub 12ft.lbs weapon .
    He fitted that cabinet for three main reasons. First, he's away from home quite a lot and children visit his home on a regular basis, and he, rightly, believes locking away his airguns is the safest thing to do. Second, he wanted peace of mind regarding security against theft, and third, he has applied for a shotgun certificate and he'll need a cabinet to comply with requirements.

What possible negative did you see in the fitting of that cabinet?
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    He fitted that cabinet for three main reasons. First, he's away from home quite a lot and children visit his home on a regular basis, and he, rightly, believes locking away his airguns is the safest thing to do And is in the current legislation for under 18s in the home or likely to visit https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...r-lock-and-key . Second, he wanted peace of mind regarding security against theft, and third, he has applied for a shotgun certificate and he'll need a cabinet to comply with requirements.

What possible negative did you see in the fitting of that cabinet?
    Because its one of the evils of airgun licensing Terry Even though we don't need to store ours in a gun cabinet up here they have to be stored the same was as they are in England and Wales = No cabinet needed but it is safer and could prevent theft for a opportunist thief .

Nothing negative in that .

Because its one of the evils of airgun licensing Terry Even though we don't need to store ours in a gun cabinet up here they have to be stored the same was as they are in England and Wales = No cabinet needed but it is safer and could prevent theft for a opportunist thief .

Nothing negative in that .
    I was wondering what Lensman saw as negative in the article, mate. I'm still wondering, actually.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

I was wondering what Lensman saw as negative in the article, mate. I'm still wondering, actually.
    I didn't think it was negative. I thought that it was quite objective in fact. I only wish that we had it earlier as I at times feel that some of our frinends in the airgun community actually do like the idea of licensing. As for the young man fitting a gun cabinet, I thought the article was educational but perhaps a little coincidental with all that proposals and the review malarky.

A.G

If i was sitting here with a few grands worth of airguns I too would be locking them in a gun cabinet .A £100 + on a gun cabinet is not much to pay to keep them safe in my eyes.

Would you a few grand lying under your bed in a shoe box?