Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition To Drop Plans For Licensing Air Guns

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    I don't want to be negative but this might be too soon. These online petitions last 6 months. It will probably take that long for the consultation material to even be looked at. Can the petition be extended?
    I agree, too early. There are no plans as yet (though of course we are all concerned as to what may come). The consultation hasn't even closed yet, then it will be digested and kicked around before any changes to the law are drafted.

IMO it's far better at this time to write to your MP expressing your concerns that unnecessary laws might be drafted in a knee jerk response to occasional idiocy and pet cruelty. Existing laws are adequate, for example airguns must be kept where children can't see them or get hold of them. The police can't monitor this law as it stands, in other words it only comes into play after an offence has been committed (some kid shot someone else / pet cat), and is no deterrent. Similarly for the reckless or dangerous use of an airgun ... it doesn't deter anyone.

Passing a new law would be expensive and ineffective. IMO a more effective way to reduce dangerous use by idiot users would be for gun retailers to A) provide at point of sale a verbal briefing on safe use and the law, B) provide the same information in written form - a flyer C) require the purchaser to sign a form, confirming they've received the briefing. I have no problem with the retailer recording the purchasers details at the same time (its logical). In addition local retailers should pass on details of local airgun gun clubs where new shooters can gain some good advice.

That's a no cost / low cost way of raising the awareness of airgun safety. If the government was determined to spend money they could run a public awareness campaign which would have the advantage of costing less than introducing and policing (effectively) a new law - such a campaign could be regularly tweaked. And if the Airgun Manufacturers and Dealers Association got together to implement the measures detailed as A,B,C above the government would love them for it, and could go back to the Cat's Protection League with a positive message.
    AA TX200, HFT 500, AS400 .22
    Daystate Grand Prix & Mk3
    Parker-Hale/PAX Phoenix Mk2: .22 & .177

Done, dam good idea

Signed, just in case!
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

All signed and sent

Done. Signed and replied to email.

Petition To Drop Plans For Licensing Air Guns

Done it too.

done.

Done!
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Done.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Done.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

All done.

OK Done

Done, now 2001 signatures! David

Done it.

Done and needs sharing on all airgun/facebook groups.

Really well done gentlemen.I didn't expect so many responses so quickly,.

A.G