Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92FS co2 leak.

Beretta 92FS co2 leak.

Morning all,
    Got one of these and had it for ages. Started to leak co2 when I put the cartridge in so I stripped it and replaced the seal. Still leaking though not as bad. Obviously a waste of a cartridge each time.
    Anyone else got one of these? Next seal to look at?
    Cheers!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Try a drop on pellgunoil on the tip of the caplet, pierce and dry fire a few times and it might fix it.
    Good deals with these members

Always worth a try.
    As is using Umarex co2 as some of the newer capsules are different lengths and end sizes.

Thanks for the info. I will give that a go.
    Using Anglo arms capsules at the mo so will pick up some Umarex ones.

I have one of these and I'm wondering if you are tightening the thumb wheel enough before you close and pierce it at the bottom. Just a thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Rib8580 View Post
    Morning all,
    Got one of these and had it for ages. Started to leak co2 when I put the cartridge in so I stripped it and replaced the seal. Still leaking though not as bad. Obviously a waste of a cartridge each time.
    Cheers!
    The Umarex Beretta is not a nice pistol to strip and rebuild, so if changing the capsule seal you might as well have done the seals in the valve while at it. The capsule seals are very good quality and do not usually leak after being replaced.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Morning all,
    Cheers!
    Is it leaking in the same place - from the neck of the C02 bulb into the grip (or does it leak past the valve and down the barrel)?

If it down the barrel, put a spot of pellgunoil on the top of the bulb to mix in and lubricate the internal valve seals - they can get dry/dirty/fail to seal.

If it is from the neck of the bulb, measure the length of bulb - they can be slightly difference/shorter lengths from different brands.

The new seal you fitted 'should' have sorted the problem, but I have seen this type of pistol (92fs, CP88, CP99, C1911, S&W596 etc...) that need a bit of tweaking to seal them depending on which brand of bulb is used. A workaround is to tighten the thumb wheel, then bring the lever up very carefully to very slightly indent the bulb - do NOT puncture it else it will leak before the seal is made. Back of the lever, re-tighten the thumb wheel a little (to take up the indent), then operate the lever positively to puncture and seal the bulb. Do not over-tighten the thumb wheel or else you will not be able to close the lever, or even worse damage the lever (I read that this can happen on some of these type of Umerex pistols). Disclaimer - get it fixed if the problem persists, you do not want loose C02 bulbs flying around!
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 09-02-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

I've just totally rebuilt a 92 FS that came in pieces (just about everything had been dismantled). The owner stated it had a leak, he stripped and couldn't be bothered to put it back together.
    Short of replacing a couple of missing parts and a thorough clean and relube its been rebuilt without using any new seals but I have used pelgunoil on the capsules. No leaks.
    I'd say take the advice on the capsules and get some pelgunoil before any further work.
    B.A.S.C. member

Thanks for all the replies.
    The new seal improved the leak but hasn’t cured it completely, almost certain it’s from the neck of the co2 and nowhere else. I am planning to strip it down again and double check everything.
    I should have done all the seals but only had that one and the boy wanted to shoot some cans so put it back together.
    Where is the best place to order a seal set?
    Also how tight should the collar be holding the cartridge seal? I put it back how it was but I think it may have been too tight.

Thanks for all the replies.
    The new seal improved the leak but hasn’t cured it completely, almost certain it’s from the neck of the co2 and nowhere else. I am planning to strip it down again and double check everything.
    I should have done all the seals but only had that one and the boy wanted to shoot some cans so put it back together.
    Where is the best place to order a seal set?
    Also how tight should the collar be holding the cartridge seal? I put it back how it was but I think it may have been too tight.
    Chambers sell all the spares.
    https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24513/Beretta-92/
    B.A.S.C. member

If the Beretta is leaking from the capsule seal after fitting a new one, the problem is usually a bent "pressure plate" Chambers part BK233. Over a period of time when people overtighten the brass screw too much pressure is put on the plate when closing and it bends slightly. This causes "over camming" and when you close the neck of the capsule seals at first then drops slightly back so that it does not seal properly. You can check this visually without the capsule in by just operating the lever at base of the grip (EC154) and watch to see if at the end of the movement the pressure plate drops down. I fix these by very gently warming and then bending back to correct position. Be careful with heat as it is zinc alloy with low melting point. Just done another one for gingernut on here.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    If the Beretta is leaking from the capsule seal after fitting a new one, the problem is usually a bent "pressure plate" Chambers part BK233. Over a period of time when people overtighten the brass screw too much pressure is put on the plate when closing and it bends slightly. This causes "over camming" and when you close the neck of the capsule seals at first then drops slightly back so that it does not seal properly. You can check this visually without the capsule in by just operating the lever at base of the grip (EC154) and watch to see if at the end of the movement the pressure plate drops down. I fix these by very gently warming and then bending back to correct position. Be careful with heat as it is zinc alloy with low melting point. Just done another one for gingernut on here.

Baz
    One of the parts - along with the indexing pawl - which would have been much better if made with steel.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    One of the parts - along with the indexing pawl - which would have been much better if made with steel.
    Yes, forget how many I have done over the years, think that is why they are always out of stock. When re-formed and used correctly by the owner they don't seem to be a problem.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Yes, forget how many I have done over the years, think that is why they are always out of stock. When re-formed and used correctly by the owner they don't seem to be a problem.

Baz
    Even when not bent they tend to develop worrying stress-marks. I think even when used correctly they are not up to the task in the long term.

You also get this on the S&W as well as the Berettas.

Not so much on the 88 and Colt?

Ive never had this problem with new ones Ive bought but it is common on used ones.

So stop with the big strong man approach and do it right.

Which is to use the wheel just to locate the capsule and then the lever to pierce.