Thread: Custom Colt Navy

Custom Colt Navy

Good evening my fellow muzzle loaders, just thought i'd keep you all updated with a little project I've been working on over the last 8 months or so. The last couple of years I've been teaching myself woodcarving, and in particular on gun stocks. My latest completed project involved making a new set of grips for my Pietta 1851 Navy, because, well, how hard can it be!?... and deciding also that I should use this as an opportunity for woodcarving practice. Anyway, I shall let the pictures do the talking, which can be found here:

https://imgur.com/a/hGxv8

For anyone interested in the story/historical context of the carvings, scroll down to the bottom of that page in the link above. ^

If you have any feedback please feel free to fire away, always happy to hear the opinions of fellow shooters!

- Tom

superb skill you have there.......how long did they take you?

Why thank you!

I will keep on practising it, Its a very therapeutic hobby to do and quite fun!

Erm... A loong long time. about 15 hours per side for the carvings, plus about 20 hours for the making of the grips, (shaping, finishing etc... )

It was very on/off over the last 8 months or so, as I had another 2 carvings I was doing also, and they took priority.

All came together in the end though!

- Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Graysmoke View Post
    Good evening my fellow muzzle loaders, just thought i'd keep you all updated with a little project I've been working on over the last 8 months or so. The last couple of years I've been teaching myself woodcarving, and in particular on gun stocks. My latest completed project involved making a new set of grips for my Pietta 1851 Navy, because, well, how hard can it be!?... and deciding also that I should use this as an opportunity for woodcarving practice. Anyway, I shall let the pictures do the talking, which can be found here:

For anyone interested in the story/historical context of the carvings, scroll down to the bottom of that page in the link above. ^

If you have any feedback please feel free to fire away, always happy to hear the opinions of fellow shooters!

- Tom
    fantastic mate, really is lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Graysmoke View Post

- Tom
    Beautiful work, Sir. Congratulations on a very fine achievement.

tac

Great job.

Excellent work.
    Two different ships is awesome.

Beautiful work, Love to see traditional craft still being use and learned,
    Awesome job,.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more