Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New BSA 'Defiant' Air Pistol ...

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

The New BSA 'Defiant' Air Pistol ...

Morning all,

Anyone any more news or updates on the 'alleged' launch of the retro-styled BSA 'Defiant' ain't pistol, please? For instance, will it be a springer, or A Co2? Will it be available in .177 and .22? Will it be available in a BB and a pellet option? Also, where will it be made? All/any info will be gratefully received, please -- even if nothing more than the supported dispelling of the myth about said pistol's existence?

Many thanks: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It's a bit disturbing they are associating it with a bunch of Brummie criminals.

The 'Defiant' name does keep faith with BSA's traditional naming system, which borrows names from military aircraft and suchlike. Like the Meteor, Buccaneer, Polaris, Merlin .. erm not Airspoter Mercury or SuperTen.

The Defiant was a turret-fighter in WW2, a flawed design in its intended role but successfully converted to a night-fighter when on-board radar became available.

So I would say that it will have four barrels in .303 calibre and will be electrically operated. Not a rifle, not a pistol, but a turret. Perfect for shooting from a hide, or for 'spanking' the Peaky Blinder horde.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...k1_Defiant.jpg

Lol. Yes, even as a nipper I thought the Defiant aeroplane a rediculous aircraft, as had one as an Airfix kit which sat in the middle of my bedroom windowsill, flanked by an assortment of other 1:72nd scale WWII Airfix models (my fave being my Wellington Bomber and my MK.II Hurricane.

My dear old Dad, who had been a Lancaster wireless operator (he never used the term radio for the on-board broadcasting equipment in the Lancaster, as said that a radio was only a one way receiving devise for listening to the light show, and such) also thought the Defiant aircraft a little comical, but did endorse them as fine bomber command protectors, as they could accompany an incoming flight without having to break off to shoot at any ME-109 bandits that came within range.

Back to the Defiant pistol however, yes I have seen the 'Peaky Blinders' promotional pictures (which with BSA being Birmingham based, can well be argued to make some sence, although like you, Alistair, I question the aligned glorification of gang land violence being attached to an air pistol in these pathetically OTT politically correct times), and have flicked through the selection of inter-war years pistols it may be modelled on, but don't have a scooby which one it will represent.

All I do know, however, is that (a) the BSA Defiant won't be based on the Webley & Scott MK.VI Service pistol, as the company who bought the rights to use the old Brum Webley name have that particular avenue well and truly pegged with quite a fine selection of Co2 MK.VI look-a-likes, and (b), I am quite certain that I will want one (lol ).

So to close this post then, do we not have any industry spies on here who could spill the beans, PLEASE ??? Maybe I should ask our Terry ??? ... Terry old bean, yhpm in-bound.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ... do we not have any industry spies on here who could spill the beans, PLEASE ??? Maybe I should ask our Terry ??? ... Terry old bean, yhpm in-bound.
    Info embargo until Friday at the show, mate!

Soz, yeah?
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Info embargo until Friday at the show, mate!

Soz, yeah?

Probably just be another bullpup pcp.

I'll stick with getting the Dan Wesson 715
    Last edited by tinbum; 16-02-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

The Defiant aircraft were built by Boulton Paul in Wolverhampton, not a million miles away from BSA. I'm sure there's no connection with the pistol, but thought I'd just throw it in!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

All other purchasing ambition now on hold!
    Yep, x2. Can we expect an up-date post on this thread from you, live from the show please Mr T, yes ???

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post

The Defiant aircraft were built by Boulton Paul in Wolverhampton, not a million miles away from BSA. I'm sure there's no connection with the pistol, but thought I'd just throw it in!
    And I for one am glad you did. Thank you.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    This is tantalising. Whatever could they have produced? I don't mark down BSA for a CO2 company, but what kind of springer or PCP could they be cooking up? Maybe a spring operated 1911 as a development of the old 240 Magnum? A PCP version of the Mauser C96 Broomhandle, with blow-back? A PCP Lee Enfield rifle?

I hope it won't be some kind of rebadged Gamo plinker.

From the IMFDB Season One of Peaky Blinders has the following pistols and rifles in it...

1 Handguns
    1.1 Webley .455 Mk IV
    1.2 Webley .455 Mk VI
    1.3 Mauser C96 "Broomhandle"
    1.4 Mauser C96 "Bolo" model
    1.5 FN Model 1900
    1.6 Webley & Scott Mk I
    1.7 FN Model 1910
    1.8 Luger P08
    1.9 Harrington & Richardson Premier 2nd Model
    1.10 Webley Royal Irish Constabulary

2 Rifles

2.1 Lee-Enfield No.1 MkIII Rifle

Nothings jumping out ...

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    This is tantalising. Whatever could they have produced? I don't mark down BSA for a CO2 company, but what kind of springer or PCP could they be cooking up? Maybe a spring operated 1911 as a development of the old 240 Magnum? A PCP version of the Mauser C96 Broomhandle, with blow-back? A PCP Lee Enfield rifle? ...
    Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    It was also one of the few Pointless answers I've had in the final round of questions

The only bit of ad copy I have seen for this has something about 'Garrison tailors' on it, who sell clothing based on the Peaky Blinders TV show. I have a horrible suspicion this is going to be something a bit rubbish and not gun related at all.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post

The only bit of ad copy I have seen for this has something about 'Garrison tailors' on it, who sell clothing based on the Peaky Blinders TV show. I have a horrible suspicion this is going to be something a bit rubbish and not gun related at all.
    I sincerely hope you are wrong. The limited blurb I have seen makes subtle references to hand guns of the era, so we will just have to wait and see: roll-on Friday when all will be revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    I sincerely hope you are wrong. The limited blurb I have seen makes subtle references to hand guns of the era, so we will just have to wait and see: roll-on Friday when all will be revealed.
    Do you have a link for that blurb?

This is all I've seen (see at bottom): https://s18.postimg.org/q13xke4k9/12...7134318_E7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post

Do you have a link for that blurb?

This is all I've seen (see at bottom): https://s18.postimg.org/q13xke4k9/12...7134318_E7.jpg

Yep, seen that poster which was what whetted my want appetite so very much (am a sucker for a story, me, lol), which is what sent me wibblywobblyinterweb surfing.

Can't locate the on-line flyer I saw, now, but it was detailing the launch at the NEC Shooting Show, and I doubt very much that BSA would put so much R&D time and money into launching anything other than an air gun, and sincerely hope I'm not wrong?

Friday in two days however, so all will be revealed then. My money is on a retro learly 20th Century auto hand gun styled over-lever springer pistol, but as long as it is an air or Co2 gun, am more than happy to be proved quite quite wrong.