Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The New BSA 'Defiant' Air Pistol ...

Whats with the need to write "serial" before the serial number? Are only the stupidest people on the planet that dont know what a serial number looks like going to buy this gun?

Maybe they are targeting the larger American market.

How boringly predictable.

Mods, please move this to General Airgun, ideally to a new sub-forum called "boring probably over-priced PCP bullpups".

I have never watched Peaky Blinders, but I gather it is set in 1929. And I have noted that one of the protagonists is widely pictured holding a 1930 model Steyr-Solothurn S1-100 SMG (which is a very nice and good-looking SMG, by the way).

Does the show involve time travel? A sort of 1920s Birmingham Doctor Who prequel?

Peaky Blinders is a great series but they've sullied it's reputation by associating it with this tat

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Mods, please move this to General Airgun, ideally to a new sub-forum called "boring probably over-priced PCP bullpups".
    That has tickled me.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post

Peaky Blinders is a great series but they've sullied it's reputation by associating it with this tat
    Agreed the series was great, but maybe I am missing something? Maybe I am being more than usually dim? But for the life of me, I just don't get it? What is the connection between an inter-war period Midlands based gangsta drama and a 21st Century brightly coloured midget's air rifle?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post

I think there is now a place, a yearning even, for a handsome, high quality spring pistol. Moreover, an opportunity to get the HW45 off the top spot after 35 years.

(
    And / or a SPRING RIFLE!!!!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    It really begs the question, "What the hell has it got to do with Peaky Blinders anyway?"
    I truly despair for the Barcelona Small Arms Co. Their marketing department need to take fewer drugs, I think somebody dropped their happy pills in the tea urn? Come to think f it their design department may well be drinking from the same cup!
    From the pics I have seen it looks like they've used the Goldstar regulator with a selection of Ultra and Gamo parts with a cocking lever and linkage assembly that is original to this gun, who knows how many bits of cranked piano wire connect the trigger blade to the sear assembly? How many bits of Meccano have they used to connect the cocking lever to the pellet probe and hammer assembly? I actually can't wait to strip one down, but I will have to remain cynical until then.
    I don't think your tea will get cold waiting/needing to strip one ! the revised mk2 will be out soon because there's bound to be a "blinder" in the workings somewhere !,ill wait till then ..cynical you may say, but it seems to be the norm with several makes over the last few years !.....

I'm not a bullpup fan but I had a go of the new BSA offering.

It shouldered nicely, balanced well, the scope height was spot on and the trigger was nice, if not stunning. I liked the biathlon style action and it would be quick to take a follow up shot. Could potentially be quick enough for rapid fire LSR (5 shots, 10 seconds).

I won't buy one, but I thought it was a contender against the Daystate equivalent whose name I can't remember but the BSA is almost 1/2 the price.

And it gave me the biggest laugh when I kept looking for a pistol on the stand when I first arrived and saw it was a bullpup.

The story I heard is the writer of Peaky Blinders is a BSA air rifle fan. The factory is in the same part of birmingham as the place is set. There is also a tie in with a company selling a peaky blinders fashion line and they saw the show as a good place to launch both.

I was still hoping for a Lewis Gun lookalike

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    I'm not a bullpup fan but I had a go of the new BSA offering.

It shouldered nicely, balanced well, the scope height was spot on and the trigger was nice, if not stunning. I liked the biathlon style action and it would be quick to take a follow up shot. Could potentially be quick enough for rapid fire LSR (5 shots, 10 seconds).

I won't buy one, but I thought it was a contender against the Daystate equivalent whose name I can't remember but the BSA is almost 1/2 the price.

And it gave me the biggest laugh when I kept looking for a pistol on the stand when I first arrived and saw it was a bullpup.

The story I heard is the writer of Peaky Blinders is a BSA air rifle fan. The factory is in the same part of birmingham as the place is set. There is also a tie in with a company selling a peaky blinders fashion line and they saw the show as a good place to launch both.

I was still hoping for a Lewis Gun lookalike
    Yep, as bull-pups go I dare say it is most excellent but that is one heck of an embarrassingly flimsy and tenuous link to 'Peaky Blinders' for a company as revered as BSA to cling to ... No wonder the people (us) with spendable pennies in our pockets thought that the Defiant would be an interesting retro pistol? Perhaps the Gamo rott has penetrated a tad too far? So maybe BSA are now just the British base for Barcelona Small Arms, after all ???

Btw Andy, I'm with you, as a Lewis look-a-like along the same lines as th old inter-war years BSA trainer certainly would be a must have, no? I remember Eddie Barber had one in his shop window just down the road from me, for a while, before he trustingly loaned it to someone who dumped on him -- and AIRGUNAID -- from a great height and kept it (filthy scum) !!!

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 17-02-2018 at 01:10 AM. Reason: to ad an 'angry' face on behalf of Eddie (rip).

I never thought it would be a pistol

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post

That sounds encouraging

When I first saw the location of the cocking lever I thought 'Ah, they've been listening to airgun shooters'.

I do hope this pup proves to be a good 'un.

All of the above.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I predict disappointment....
    Engage 'smug mode'.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Agreed the series was great, but maybe I am missing something? Maybe I am being more than usually dim? But for the life of me, I just don't get it? What is the connection between an inter-war period Midlands based gangsta drama and a 21st Century brightly coloured midget's air rifle?
    It's just Birmingham innit?
    Never underestimate the bare faced cheek of a marketing executive.
    My wife used to recruit them and she says you'll never find a bigger bunch of

The New BSA 'Defiant' Air Pistol .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    They will be using the association that some of the people in peaky blinders may have worked in the BSA factory im guessing .

And i was right that it was a bullpup (or at least the guy that wrote the post on the other forum got it right )
    It must have been those pesky peaky blinders who had 3 attempts at building my soms R10! Luckily john bowkett isn't in the gang(anymore).