Thread: Advice with a faulty rifle

Advice with a faulty rifle

Hi All,

I've got a faulty BSA R10 SE which I bought brand new back in October last year. It developed a fault (air leak) within the first month so I took it back to the shop and they sent it back to BSA for repair. I've genuinely only used the rifle half a dozen times at a plinking range since then and it's now started leaking air again and also the reg looks like its knackered as it's putting out just over 8ft lb on the chrono with a 47ft per second spread over 10 shots!

Anyway, from what I've read (citizens advice etc) as the rifle has developed a 2nd fault within 6 months I'm apparently entitled to a refund? i rang the shop today and they said to bring it in and they'll send off to BSA, I'm not happy with this as I think what could well happen then is BSA will repair it and send it back saying there's nothing wrong with it.

To be totally honest I've really lost all confidence in the BSA brand and would like to buy an alternative make.

What are peoples thoughts on the return policy, anyone experienced similar?

Thanks for reading!!
    AA HFT500, HW75, BSA R10SE, Walther LGU .177, Air Arms EV2 MK4 - Falcon T35 Scope HW97K .177 - Titan Ddraig Goch Kit Fitted by Welsh Willy
    https://woodfield-gcp.co.uk/

secretagentmole Guest
    Insist on your consumer rights and get Trading Standards involved, tell the shop that is where you are going if you do not get a refund. They were given an opportunity to repair it, they have failed.

I have been having a lot of joy with my Zbroia Hortista, a lovely regulated action, 300 bar fill, 2 magazines, shrouded barrel with effective silencer, accurate and a nice trigger to boot.

Hi mate,

I was in an almost identical situation to you last Nov. I bought an R10 SE brand new. It leaked almost straight away, was fixed. I took it away but shortly after the pressure gauge didn’t work. That was fixed, then it started leaking air again and almost emptied completely in 24hrs. It was fixed again but I noticed it was underpowered (around 10 foot pounds) so it went back again.
    I was told it was sorted and now 11+ so I tested it again myself......no difference what so ever. It also shot a max of around 110 useful shots in .177 which is nowhere near the stated 190 shots.
    All of these problems were over a two month period, and 3 weeks of that time, it was in being repaired.

I really wasn’t happy and also spoke to trading standards. I was told that I’d given then the opportunity to put it right, which they’d failed to do. I was entitled to a full refund however, the shop could try to argue that only some of the money be returned as I’ve had some use of the gun. Like you, I’d hardly used it at all and to be honest, the shop had it for as long as I did!

I took it back to the shop and told them I wanted to change it for another new rifle as I was fed up with going backwards and forwards and lost all faith in the reliability of the rifle. They initially tried to convince me to let them have one more go at putting it right, and to take it away and use it for a few more months to see if it improved. I said no, as the longer I owned it, the less rights I’d have.

They were pretty good about it and swapped it out for a new Weihrauch HW100 which has been so much better than the BSA. I am aware that any gun can have problems, but my BSA had far more than I’d expect from a new gun costing £800!

Do yourself a favour and take it back to the shop ASAP and demand a new rifle (preferably not a BSA). If they give you any excuses, demand a full refund and go elsewhere.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by welshweeks View Post
    Hi All,

I've got a faulty BSA R10 SE which I bought brand new back in October last year. It developed a fault (air leak) within the first month so I took it back to the shop and they sent it back to BSA for repair. I've genuinely only used the rifle half a dozen times at a plinking range since then and it's now started leaking air again and also the reg looks like its knackered as it's putting out just over 8ft lb on the chrono with a 47ft per second spread over 10 shots!

Anyway, from what I've read (citizens advice etc) as the rifle has developed a 2nd fault within 6 months I'm apparently entitled to a refund? i rang the shop today and they said to bring it in and they'll send off to BSA, I'm not happy with this as I think what could well happen then is BSA will repair it and send it back saying there's nothing wrong with it.

To be totally honest I've really lost all confidence in the BSA brand and would like to buy an alternative make.

What are peoples thoughts on the return policy, anyone experienced similar?

Thanks for reading!!
    I think I'm right in saying that any warranty repair restarts the warranty period on that repair (but not the rest of the item).
    Take it back & tell them you have spoken to CAB/Trading standards & what they have said your rights are.
    but
    Remember the shop only sell them it's not their fault BSA build duff rifles so try to remain polite with the staff but be firm in what you expect.

Hello a friend of mine has had the same problem with BSA, Rifle bought new failed and was sent back to BSA, to cut a long story short this happened 3 times and he had had enough, BSA agreed to send him a 'new' rifle. Now this chap is in his seventies and has been shooting since he was a boy and knows his guns, and when the 'new' rifle arrived compared the serial numbers, the gun he was sent had a difference of over 3000 (less) than the one he sent back!! Guess what it failed with in 2 weeks. Had words and got a full refund and will never buy another .
    So that is 1 customer lost and another chap at the range is having problems with his as well.
    It is such a pity that this should happen.
    ATB.
    Geoff.

I have 4 BSA's myself.

Thanks for the replies all. I'll be taking the rifle back on the weekend with the intentions of getting a replacement (different make!) or refund will update the thread.
    AA HFT500, HW75, BSA R10SE, Walther LGU .177, Air Arms EV2 MK4 - Falcon T35 Scope HW97K .177 - Titan Ddraig Goch Kit Fitted by Welsh Willy
    https://woodfield-gcp.co.uk/

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by welshweeks View Post
    Thanks for the replies all. I'll be taking the rifle back on the weekend with the intentions of getting a replacement (different make!) or refund will update the thread.
    Don't accept it's okay for an £800 gun to go wrong twice within a few months - it's not: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sh...funds-exchange

As mentioned already, be polite, but also let them know your not being awkward - your asking for them to respect your rights, and you would rather sort it with them and spend you money there than fall out with them and spend it somewhere else - but that can be their choice.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired