Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Mercury Mk1 - a worthy fixer upper?

BSA Mercury Mk1 - a worthy fixer upper?

Good evening folks, I would appreciate the opinions of the learned folks here as to whether this rifle might be worth investing a bit of TLC in. I was back visiting family this weekend and along with my dad and brother, my two young lads and my nephew (showing off the HW30 he now has use of thanks to Santa) we'd set up a bit of plinking around 10m to let my nephew show his dad up (a shotgun, .22 rimfire and centrefire chap) and give my lads their first taste of air gunning. A knock down, a few empty cans, a paper target and gamo 5 target rocker. My dad produced a couple of guns to add to the mix, one was the Sheridan he'd bought for me and my brother to use as teenagers and a rather tatty looking springer. It was pretty accurate though, hitting the 15mm rocker regularly despite a trigger that seemed to be weighted for a strongman and lots of vibration on firing. Closer inspection revealed it to be a BSA Mercury and I had a bit of a browse round to see what I could find out about this model.

From the ZA prefix on the serial number it seems to be Mk1. Exterior finish of the barrel has obviously seen better days but looks pretty good down the bore. Breech seal looks cracked through in three places and not sure whether the marks just in the breech are typical of the model or signs of heavy use. Wood is plain but deviod of any major marking or cracks. Missing the rearsight and also the hood from the foresight. Trigger is extremely heavy but no creep, just needs loads of pressure to release.

Dad was saying both it and the Sheridan get pretty much no use these days apart from odd outings like we had this weekend. If I had the chance of the BSA what do people reckon, would this a be decent rifle to invest a bit of time and a little moeny in as a fixer upper and a starter to get me going? My aspirations of getting a new / nearly new gun have been put on hold due to changes to work situation. I've always been a bit of a tinkerer and as an engineer I've got a reasonable set of skill and tools when it comes to things mechanical. A few pics attached.

https://imgur.com/zTpI9xG
    https://imgur.com/EwxbyhB
    https://imgur.com/g8P3YFA
    https://imgur.com/KPlux3w
    https://imgur.com/6Paj3aE
    https://imgur.com/l6PWmQD
    https://imgur.com/lnFQQil
    https://imgur.com/Fstx1Jh
    https://imgur.com/X4Y3ZUc
    Last edited by charliemow13; 11-02-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: re-tried to link to photos on imgur
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Reckon you'd do better re-posting this -- or better still, asking a mod by p-m to move this thread -- to the 'Collectables' section, although as a collector and 'dying gun' renovator, I wouldn't bother spending too much time or money on this Mercury, as it is pretty far gone, and I proffer that it'll cost more to renovate to an acceptable standard, than it would to buy an example which is already at an 'original condition' acceptable standard, or better (but that is your call).

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 11-02-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: tortology.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Definitely worth investing a little time and money into a Mercury.

A lovely, graceful break barrel from yesteryear.

Usually, the trigger will adjust for a nice, crisp release.

A strip, de-gunk, replacement of piston seal & buffer, breech seal and mainspring combined with a re-lube should see it shooting well and capable of giving good service for years to come. And it's an appreciating classic.

At worst, if there's any breech wobble, you could nip the breech jaws up in a vice. And if you fall in love with it and enjoy it generally, you might invest in a breech bolt conversion.

Protek, Chambers, TR Robb and John Knibbs for any parts required.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Reckon you'd do better re-posting this -- or better still, asking a mod by p-m to move this thread -- to the 'Collectables' section, although as a collector and 'dying gun' renovator, I wouldn't bother spending too much time or money on this Mercury, as it is pretty far gone, and I proffer that it'll cost more to renovate to an acceptable standard, than it would to buy an example which is already at an 'original condition' acceptable standard, or better (but that is your call). .
    Seems one of me ex-colleagues has moved this to the Gentlemens' Collectables section (the best section) for you, already.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Definitely worth investing a little time and money into a Mercury.

A lovely, graceful break barrel from yesteryear.

Usually, the trigger will adjust for a nice, crisp release.

A strip, de-gunk, replacement of piston seal & buffer, breech seal and mainspring combined with a re-lube should see it shooting well and capable of giving good service for years to come. And it's an appreciating classic.

At worst, if there's any breech wobble, you could nip the breech jaws up in a vice. And if you fall in love with it and enjoy it generally, you might invest in a breech bolt conversion.

Protek, Chambers, TR Robb and John Knibbs for any parts required.
    Yes, all very VERY true, and all as detailed will not be too costly, either. So doing all as Tony has said will make this Mercury shoot very nicely indeed. But regarding the cost of the cosmetic repairs it needs, I am still inclined to say that given what is needed, think long and hard before committing, as the cost of repairing the cosmetics will seriously out-weigh its value once finished.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Move aside please Gents, let someone who actually gives a shit about these rifles through

For starters you may have noticed that I have a few BSA's in my collection, now as explained above by Tony and Gareth, you will have to weigh up the pros and cons on this one, Mercury's are a bit of a funny breed, the "S" versions are starting to go up in price a little and are well worth having, yours though is a bog standard model which you'll be lucky to get £100 for, saying that though we've all bought guns and spent a damn fortune on them to get them shooting and looking how we want (my Airsporter S carbine owes me about £500) but then we get duped into the arms of another rifle and sell on our beloved, at a loss most of the time, I've done it many a time.

Not sure what your intentions are with your mk1, if you're getting it for free then even better and is it going to be a sentimental rifle for passing down to the next generation, if so then the amount of money you spend on it won't matter to you, if you intend to do it up to sell on in a few months, then like Gareth says, you will be lucky to break even, the cost of the average reblue (or blacking seems to be the process nowadays) is about £70 with postage costs as well, so that's basically the resale value lost already (if you want to make a profit that is), plus if you rebuild the internals. which I highly recommend you do, then the cost of all those parts added will have you running at a loss.

As for a capable rifle, they are built far better than any modern BSA Supersport and are perfectly capable of taking critters at close to medium ranges after a decent tune up, don't be disappointed if you don't get full power out of it after a tune up but I can't see why you shouldn't be able to, looking at the breech seal, it doesn't look too bad but for the sake of a few quid I'd replace it along with the internals already mentioned by Tony above, whilst you're at it I'd get Tinbum to make you up a new set of guides (if your spring is alright) or get one of his tune kits and that should see it shooting far better.

At the end of the day it's your call, if you need any advice on stripping it, either ask on here or do a search as there's plenty of info or I'll happily guide you through it all.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

As a Mercury fan I fully endorse keeping one alive!

I did my Mk2/3 late last year. Full stock renovation and all the insides polished up and changed where necessary. I chronoed it at about 9.5 ft lbs using .177 Bisley LRG. With a consistency of less than 10fps. That's pretty amazing. Shoots lovely. Best job I've done.

The only niggle is the breach jaws. As it has a pin instead of a nut there is always going to be a degree of lateral wobble. The fix is one for someone with some engineering exerpience I think as it needs reworking in order to fit the bolt from a Mk3+ model.

Im weighing it up but it probably isnt worth doing it for the use it will get.

All agreed as above, did one two years ago and it's remarkably Google.

Would recommend getting rid of the nylon piston head if it has this, chambers sell an alloy one, much better!

BSA Mercury Mk1 - a worthy fixer upper?

Looks like a later model than the mk1 to me? I noticed it has two trigger adjusting screws & the "pine" looking slab sided stocks common in the mid to late 70's.

ZA is MK11 1973-1974.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Looks like a later model than the mk1 to me? I noticed it has two trigger adjusting screws & the "pine" looking slab sided stocks common in the mid to late 70's.
    No it's defo an early model as the front of the stock is different and it has the long cocking slot for the one piece cocking link, the mk3 onwards had an articulated cocking link and a short slot in the stock, the front end is also more rounded and covers the breech block more.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

100% worth giving a bit of attention to, there nice guns and if you do mess it up its not the end of the world but there pretty simple things to work on.
    If you dont want to blue it they do come up nice with a black spray paint finish.
    Mine is in bits and should reclaim the piston back off a airsporter i have been testing it in!

Thanks for all the input folks, apologies I've only got around to replying this eve but trying to tap out a meaningful response on my phone is rather tedious and work computers are locked out of access to websites related to weapons!

I was wondering whether this rifle was worth putting a bit of time in improve it and from the sounds of it it's definitely worth some elbow grease and time spent in bits on the garage workbench with a few select new parts. I'm not really trying to restore it to original finish, would like to end up with something that shoots fairly nicely for club shoots and plinking. That said, most of the things I've got that started as fixer uppers, be that motorcycles or pushbikes, have ended up owing me more than their actual worth. But there is something so satisfying and rewarding about seeing the fruits of your labours. So if I can persuade my dad to part with it, a few whiskies should sort that , what starts out as a simple mechanical refurb may end up somewhat more involved. Thanks for all the advice and hopefully I'll be able to resurrect this rifle.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    In a sense, both Gareth and Pete are both correct!
    If it's only a 'commercial' consideration, then Gareth's comments are very valid.
    However, a lot of us don't see these things as purely 'commercial' and will spend more than they are worth bringing them back to their glory days - it doesn't make sense, but there you go!

Personally, I would say that nearly any old BSA was worth the effort, time and money to bring them back, unless rescued from the bottom of a pond after many years or their condition really doesn't warrant it.
    (indeed I would say that was probably the case with any other decent make of old rifle - even Wobblies! ) (just kidding, Wobblies are fine - just not as good as BSAs! )
    The Mk1 Mercury has a lot of fans and rightly so!
    Anyone who doesn't have the time or inclination to do this sort of work on an old gun they are given would be well advised to pass it on to someone who would, but, at the end of the day, the enjoyment of bringing something made a long time ago back to nice condition, can far outweigh any cost in doing so - a labour of love, so to speak!

So not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here, but what I would say is, if you haven't tried rescuing an oldie rifle - maybe it's something you should try once, even if it's not entirely a success, you will probably enjoy/learn from it and you can always pass it on to someone else if you come unstuck.

Old rifles deserve a 'second chance'!

Atb

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

[QUOTE=rovercoupe;7436162]100% worth giving a bit of attention to, there nice guns and if you do mess it up its not the end of the world but there pretty simple things to work on.
    If you dont want to blue it they do come up nice with a black spray paint finish.]

Paint it ,the early ones were black enamel anyway. It will look good and cost buttons.