Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA Mercury Mk1 - a worthy fixer upper?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    In a sense, both Gareth and Pete are both correct!
    If it's only a 'commercial' consideration, then Gareth's comments are very valid.
    However, a lot of us don't see these things as purely 'commercial' and will spend more than they are worth bringing them back to their glory days - it doesn't make sense, but there you go!

Personally, I would say that nearly any old BSA was worth the effort, time and money to bring them back, unless rescued from the bottom of a pond after many years or their condition really doesn't warrant it.
    (indeed I would say that was probably the case with any other decent make of old rifle - even Wobblies! ) (just kidding, Wobblies are fine - just not as good as BSAs! )
    The Mk1 Mercury has a lot of fans and rightly so!
    Anyone who doesn't have the time or inclination to do this sort of work on an old gun they are given would be well advised to pass it on to someone who would, but, at the end of the day, the enjoyment of bringing something made a long time ago back to nice condition, can far outweigh any cost in doing so - a labour of love, so to speak!

So not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here, but what I would say is, if you haven't tried rescuing an oldie rifle - maybe it's something you should try once, even if it's not entirely a success, you will probably enjoy/learn from it and you can always pass it on to someone else if you come unstuck.

Old rifles deserve a 'second chance'!

Atb

ASM
    Well said, like I said earlier, my Airsporter S carbine has cost a fair old amount to get back to original condition, I wasn't worried about how much I spent on it (within reason) as I wanted a fancy Airsporter of some sort as I didn't have one in my collection at the time, by the time all the internal work and reblacking was done and things like open sights (the rear one being a Williams type that sits on the maxigrip rail) was all added up as well as the stock refinishing, I've probably spent the same amount again as I spent on buying the rifle in the first place, was it worth it, hell yes, even all the hours I spent rubbing down the stock inch by inch with different grades of abrasive paper and oil until it was far smoother than I'd normally do until I was happy with the final finish.

I'd say just have a go at it and see how much you get involved.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Well said, like I said earlier, my Airsporter S carbine has cost a fair old amount to get back to original condition, I wasn't worried about how much I spent on it (within reason) as I wanted a fancy Airsporter of some sort as I didn't have one in my collection at the time, by the time all the internal work and reblacking was done and things like open sights (the rear one being a Williams type that sits on the maxigrip rail) was all added up as well as the stock refinishing, I've probably spent the same amount again as I spent on buying the rifle in the first place, was it worth it, hell yes, even all the hours I spent rubbing down the stock inch by inch with different grades of abrasive paper and oil until it was far smoother than I'd normally do until I was happy with the final finish.

I'd say just have a go at it and see how much you get involved.

Pete
    Thing is Pete, you end up putting a bit of yourself into the rifle and the satisfaction you get back from it when you see the end result makes it all worth wile - you just really cannot put a value on that can you?

I have an Airsporter S Carbine (walnut stock)I bought brand new back in 84/5 - indeed one of my favourites and made in less numbers than my Centenary Airsporter (I believe)
    They are all worth some time and effort, some of the older rifles were made to last and indeed they have done, a lot of them. (Mk1s and 2s etc)

And as for Webley's, I am a great fan of those also as most who know me will know, indeed my Wife has a couple of Tracker's and Vulcan's and I rate them as highly as my Airsporter's - indeed one of my earliest and longest owned is a Webley pistol I bought back in 1970 when I was a lad!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Thing is Pete, you end up putting a bit of yourself into the rifle and the satisfaction you get back from it when you see the end result makes it all worth wile - you just really cannot put a value on that can you?

I have an Airsporter S Carbine (walnut stock)I bought brand new back in 84/5 - indeed one of my favourites and made in less numbers than my Centenary Airsporter (I believe)
    They are all worth some time and effort, some of the older rifles were made to last and indeed they have done, a lot of them. (Mk1s and 2s etc)

And as for Webley's, I am a great fan of those also as most who know me will know, indeed my Wife has a couple of Tracker's and Vulcan's and I rate them as highly as my Airsporter's - indeed one of my earliest and longest owned is a Webley pistol I bought back in 1970 when I was a lad!

ASM
    You are correct about the rarity of the carbine S as someone else told me that they were only made in their hundreds, I actually refinished the stock of mine twice as I sort of rushed it the first time as I couldn't wait to get it finished and start shooting it, it was about a year later that I realised the stock wasn't as smooth as it could be (I could see some sandpaper scratch marks in places I had missed with the wire wool) and after watching a few youtube videos on stock finishing, I spent hours rubbing it back down again inch by inch with different grades of oil coated (boiled linseed oil) wet and dry paper until I was happy with it's smoothness, I then spent weeks hand rubbing the oil into the stock and letting each coat dry in for several days before doing it all again, I wanted a satin effect to the wood which I've managed to achieve.

Here are some of the videos that inspired me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzVdsln29o8&t=326s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrQbZNduZL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6PEk_OXBY

There's loads of others out there to help guide people.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Absolutely!

Where's the "like" button?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Absolutely!

Where's the "like" button?
    That's just reminded me, have you done any Supersport tinkering yet Tone

Pete