Thread: Servicing a 70s Mercury - Spring Choice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Servicing a 70s Mercury - Spring Choice Reply to Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    You have to cut the spring down. There's absolutely no way a full one will go in and make the rifle nice to shoot. I assembled mine by hand by clamping the trigger assembly unit onto a low lying clamp and then used body weight to compress. Taking 7 coils off was enough to get a decent amount of preload without over doing it and making the firing cycle too harsh.

Nothing wrong with standard springs but the last one I had for my 635 didnt have enough compression on it - no idea why. Came from Chambers who are certainly trustworthy. Went with Titan in the end because I've used them plenty of times without fault - but you do have to shorten them.
    Thats your opinion & if you'd read my post properly I did say you'd have to cut a titan down, I find them harsh even cut down correctly prone to buckling & overpriced.apart from a batch in the late 80's to early 90's that were overtempered & prone to break I've never had such problems with the standard bsa merc/airsporter springs & have fitted them to many makes of airgun if they fit correctly. Also not all people have an angle grinder or the skills & knowledge to cut down & compress a coil with a blowlamp & correctly re-grind the ends.
    Last edited by junglie; 13-02-2018 at 12:51 AM.