Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Servicing a 70s Mercury - Spring Choice

Turned it round - seems better.

Quote Originally Posted by leetrenchard View Post
    Rebuilt mine with standard chambers spring and.seals, shoots v sweetly at 10.5 in .22
    Ditto nothing wrong with Chambers stuff if a little expensive

Quote Originally Posted by james_stan View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have a decent set of tools for general DIY and motorcycle maintenance but I do lack the knowledge! With that
    in mind I'll stick with the standard spring etc.. to be going on with - perhaps I'll get adventurous in time. BTW I did take a look at the
    Protek web-site but couldn't find a spares section - just me?

Cheers

James
    Personally I would avoid the Chambers standard spring, they are not BSA ones but obviously sourced by Chambers from another spring manufacturer. They are quite soft and mine lost a lot of length after a small amount of use. I think the HW97 spring mentioned above is a good shout.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

With a Mercury or an Airsporter it's a great help to do a dry build without the mainspring.

Rigger gloves or bare hands,you'll know the point or angle at which the trigger block and action threads engage.

Add a burly mechanic friend and the job's a doddle .

Servicing a 70s Mercury - Spring Choice

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    With a Mercury or an Airsporter it's a great help to do a dry build without the mainspring.

Rigger gloves or bare hands,you'll know the point or angle at which the trigger block and action threads engage.

Add a burly mechanic friend and the job's a doddle .
    Thats a great idea, wish i'd heard of it sooner. Took me about ten attempts to get the thread engaged last time I had my challenger apart, I was exhausted after & cursing bsa's .