Thread: Scoping up an AIRGUNAID SP-5 .20 cal Hunter

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Scoping up an AIRGUNAID SP-5 .20 cal Hunter

Hello all. As per the title, I've a mind to scope up my SP-5. I'm not after a period scope (circa 1979) however, as I hate cross hair scopes (sorry ), so am after a mil-dot something or other (traditional mil-dot spacings as on all my Nikko Sterling scopes only), but in order to pay homage to the right era, I want something in a gloss finish, and not the prolification of Matt and/or satin finish black scopes which abound. Am also ideally after a fixed mag scope like a nice 6x40, although at a push, a 4x40 may do (?) so anyone able to recommend -- or sell me -- something which may fit the bill, please ??? Cheers for all/any pointers. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Hmm. Can't you get an old Rhino 4x40 or an ASI 4x32 as Eddie Barber would have intended? It's not like you are going to enter HFT with an SP5.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

Hmm. Can't you get an old Rhino 4x40 or an ASI 4x32 as Eddie Barber would have intended? It's not like you are going to enter HFT with an SP5.
    Hi Alistair,

Had an ASI 4x40 which I sold several years back, but yes, may entertain one of them again (the glass was like crystal), but as I have decided to only keep guns that I am actually going shoot, I want to be able to shoot each as well as I can, and as I have several air guns which I am electing to leave on -- and shoot on -- open sights, I want my scoped rifles to be as user friendly for me as possible, but without overly compromising their original allure (hence my want for a gloss finish mil dot scope), so am just fishing with this thread for ideas at the moment, and to see what may be out there?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It's true, once you have used mil-dots it is very difficult to go back to the old 'Golden Shot' type cross-hairs, and 30/30 or TR aren't much better. I wonder what will turn up in the glossy mildot line?

It's true, once you have used mil-dots it is very difficult to go back to the old 'Golden Shot' type cross-hairs, and 30/30 or TR aren't much better. I wonder what will turn up in the glossy mildot line?
    And again my friend: nail, head and hitting x3.

Scope.

Good news have a 70's Nikko gloss black 6 x 40. Bad news German post ret...bugger. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post

Good news have a 70's Nikko gloss black 6 x 40. Bad news German post ret...bugger. Mach 1.5
    Ooooh !!! Soooo Close !!!

What is that pointy post about? Is it from sniping in the trenches, the distance between lines being easy to calculate so there was no need to hold over or under?

Scope

Was trying to change his mind on the mil dot on a vintage Springer. Mach 1.5

Was trying to change his mind on the mil dot on a vintage Springer. Mach 1.5
    I mean, do you know why the Germans like that post-and-crosshair type of reticle? it seems not very practical as its not that great for hold over and useless for hold-under.

I've painted and lacquered some old scopes in the past; the result was pretty good, and nobody knew unless I told them. Here's a thought, since matte black is technically just a non-reflective black finish, would clear lacquering it make it gloss, and preserve any lettering at the same time?

I mean, do you know why the Germans like that post-and-crosshair type of reticle? it seems not very practical as its not that great for hold over and useless for hold-under.
    Very good in low light, so good for deer stalking and running shots at driven game.It was the common continental reticule on the run up to the war. Fine crosshairs are no good at all, once the light starts to go. Nowdays they have illuminated reticules, so the thick No.1 reticule is a bit redundant, however still favoured by older continental deer stalkers. I prefer the No.4 reticule myself in 8 x 56 flavour

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post

Here's a thought, since matte black is technically just a non-reflective black finish, would clear lacquering it make it gloss, and preserve any lettering at the same time?
    Now THAT is worth investigating, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Hello all. As per the title, I've a mind to scope up my SP-5. I'm not after a period scope (circa 1979) however, as I hate cross hair scopes (sorry ), so am after a mil-dot something or other (traditional mil-dot spacings as on all my Nikko Sterling scopes only), but in order to pay homage to the right era, I want something in a gloss finish, and not the prolification of Matt and/or satin finish black scopes which abound. Am also ideally after a fixed mag scope like a nice 6x40, although at a push, a 4x40 may do (?) so anyone able to recommend -- or sell me -- something which may fit the bill, please ??? Cheers for all/any pointers. Atb: G.
    Not a mil-dot ret, true, but am now sorted via a most excellent Gun Tuff 6x40 30:30 cross hair ret scope courtesy of our sponsor, JSR. God bless the BBS.