Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parcelforce 48 - link to where it says it will carry airguns

Parcelforce 48 - link to where it says it will carry airguns

Can anybody point me to this?

A seller has been told at the PO that he can't send the airgun I've just bought from him.

TIA.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and...d-restrictions

The bit you need is:

Arms and Ammunition - low powered air weapons Low-powered air weapons (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), together with lead pellets and other airgun and airsoft projectiles, can be sent but are subject to the following conditions:

These items must be sent on an express48 service only
    These items must be sent via the Post Office only, and presented at the counter
    Enhanced compensation cover is not available

Enhanced compensation cover is not available, means you are capped at £100 insurance if it gets lost or damaged. That's the main risk involved

I had the same happen to me when trying to post a pistol. The local office just showed me a laminated sheet with pictures of prohibited items. It appears Royal Mail's training program is a little lacking. I haven't come across one yet that knows legal limit airguns are ok to post. Your seller has probably had the same issue. They won't even bother to look on your behalf

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    I had the same happen to me when trying to post a pistol. The local office just showed me a laminated sheet with pictures of prohibited items. It appears Royal Mail's training program is a little lacking. I haven't come across one yet that knows legal limit airguns are ok to post. Your seller has probably had the same issue. They won't even bother to look on your behalf

John
    Royal Mail don’t run Post Offices. Just sayin

The current leaflet on prohibited & restricted items "RMDG17" look under the section "Guns for sporting use".

Unless it's a PCP & the staff member is saying no to the air tube/buddy bottle as being a compressed gas vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    Royal Mail don’t run Post Offices. Just sayin
    Royal mails rules though eh
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Thanks all.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and...d-restrictions

The bit you need is:

Arms and Ammunition - low powered air weapons Low-powered air weapons (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), together with lead pellets and other airgun and airsoft projectiles, can be sent but are subject to the following conditions:

These items must be sent on an express48 service only
    These items must be sent via the Post Office only, and presented at the counter
    Enhanced compensation cover is not available

Enhanced compensation cover is not available, means you are capped at £100 insurance if it gets lost or damaged. That's the main risk involved
    I've been doing a bit of research on this lately as I'd been told the same - but its not quite correct in that Parcelforce Express 48 is not the only available service - it is, but only if your package is too large for the normal services...

The page you need is here: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...stricted-items
    And if you scroll down the page to "Guns for sporting use" and expand that it then says...

International - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
    Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 and Section 2 firearms, low-powered air guns and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to applicable export controls on the shipment of firearms.
    Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.
    Sender's name and address must be visible on the parcel.

UK - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
    Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.
    Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays.
    Use 1st Class as the minimum service. Only low-powered air weapons are accepted by Parcelforce Worldwide and must be sent using express48 via the Post Office.
    Sender's name and address must be visible on the parcel.

The way I read that is that Royal Mail can accept low powered air weapons on the first class or RMSD service which DOES have extended compensation - BUT if its too large and falls into Parcelforce's service then only Express 48 can accept it and that is WITHOUT extended compensation.
    Last edited by harvey_s; 12-02-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Parcel Force will take them but it will only be covered for £100.00 if it gets lost and you can not increase it.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

My local postlady is a gem, she says if the pressure vessel is in place as designed it is an integral part of the rifle and ok to post, its only when removed it must be open as then its not a pressure vessel, and yes size is the key, thats why most rifles get sent pf48 and keep your fingers crossed. Surely a courior company could clean up if they offered a service

I recently used my local rfd to rfd as my buyer asked, but my rfd stated its not insured as its not his rifle !!

Its a mine feild for sure and the reason I only buy f2f

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by venoman View Post
    Parcel Force will take them but it will only be covered for £100.00 if it gets lost and you can not increase it.
    yet some post offices will sell you extra insurance . the seller that sent my Theoben Evo was asked if he wanted more insurance even though she knew it was an airgun in the box .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    yet some post offices will sell you extra insurance . the seller that sent my Theoben Evo was asked if he wanted more insurance even though she knew it was an airgun in the box .
    It's back to the fact that the Post Office & Royal Mail are two different companies so PO counter staff are trained by the PO which includes offering extra insurance cover, while the cover is actually provided by RM who set the terms & conditions.
    There are loads of items not covered by the extra option but the only way most people would ever find out is if they claim & that doesn't actually happen very often.

The local PO moved in to the village shop a few years back & the woman in there is a battleaxe , so first time I posted an airgun I went armed with all the paperwork & rules and had to be quite "firm & forthright" before she accepted that it was legal & I knew more on the subject than she did.

My advice would be to book online. Simply state low powered airgun in the declaration and take it to the post office. They don't ask any more questions and just take the parcel and give you a receipt

Tell him to try another Post Office, they're not all run by folk who don't know what they're doing.
    As has been mentioned many of them rely on a silly plastic picture chart that's completely misleading. I come across it often when posting knives, usually when they have new staff on the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    It's back to the fact that the Post Office & Royal Mail are two different companies so PO counter staff are trained by the PO which includes offering extra insurance cover, while the cover is actually provided by RM who set the terms & conditions.
    There are loads of items not covered by the extra option but the only way most people would ever find out is if they claim & that doesn't actually happen very often.

The local PO moved in to the village shop a few years back & the woman in there is a battleaxe , so first time I posted an airgun I went armed with all the paperwork & rules and had to be quite "firm & forthright" before she accepted that it was legal & I knew more on the subject than she did.
    it was the first time had sent an airgun via the post . i did offer to drive up and get it . i wished i had as it left inverness and went to coventry then back up here .He lives around 130miles from me .

took a week to get to me even though it was parcelforce 48.