Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Tuff Scopes ...

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Gun Tuff Scopes ...

... What do we reckon to them? Ramsbottom's, our BBS sponsor, has a really rather nice looking 6x40 std cross hair Gun Tuff scope -- which looks period enough not to look out of place on one of my 1980s rifles -- for a highly competitive £12.99 posted. Admittedly I prefer a mil-dot scope, but scopes with that reticule type which would suit a period looking air rifle combo, seem unobtainable (unless you know better ). Thoughts on all, please, but at the moment, said Gun Tuff scope is very much at the top of my list ...

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 14-02-2018 at 12:26 AM. Reason: to change to 6x40 from 4x6 (what a muppet :-D)

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

​.
    Anyone?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I've no idea but at the price of a tin of pellets it's got to be worth a punt.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I've no idea but at the price of a tin of pellets it's got to be not very good.
    Fixed that for you.

I've no idea but at the price of a tin of pellets it's got to be worth a punt.
    Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Fixed that for you.

I've no idea but at the price of a tin of pellets it's got to be not very good.
    Fair point.

Any more ore for any more?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    everything has a base price, below which the quality becomes unviable... would you buy a brand new car for a grand ?

I'm with Geezer...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

everything has a base price, below which the quality becomes unviable... would you buy a brand new car for a grand ?

I'm with Geezer...
    Good analogy, as I'd not even buy a brand new car for under four grand. Okay then, back to the bay of eeee -- and Ed's www. site -- I go (cheers chaps).

Im sure the JSR scopes were leapers ones .

Heck, Gareth, they may be fine. Don't trust me. But a tenner or so for optics? Really?

I am a long-term convert, from experience, to the idea that a scope should cost (roughly) as much as the rifle it is mounted on. My only big exception being used 80s Japanese glass in vintage 80s springers. Where, if you are lucky, you can still snag a good bargain at 25 quid or so (e.g. a non-sought after brand like Edgar Brothers in an unfashionable but useful format like 4x32).

I seem to have more scopes than rifles. I must stop buying scopes.

Can't help you with the wish for gloss and a fancy reticule, although Leupold still make some gloss scopes, even if they aren't sold over here (eg 3-9x32EFR).

Personally, anything more than 30/30 confuses and slows me down. Last time I shot something with a clever "tree" reticle (Elcan, or ACOG, can't recall which), it just made my head hurt compared to aiming off with a simple cross-hair. But I am an old git in this respect.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post

Im sure the JSR scopes were leapers ones .
    Yes they were, and they weren't bad, either. Not sure who is behind Gun Tuff, as they are one of the many makes that JSR stock so as to give us choice. JSR also stock and sell the ENFIELD range of scopes, and I am quite taken with them, too, so what's to do?

And Geezer you old geezer, yep am with you on not liking the multitude of rediculous scope reticule options that abound, although I am most partial to a nice half mil-dot as on my Nikkos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Yes they were, and they weren't bad, either. Not sure who is behind Gun Tuff, as they are one of the many makes that JSR stock so as to give us choice. JSR also stock and sell the ENFIELD range of scopes, and I am quite taken with them, too, so what's to do?

And Geezer you old geezer, yep am with you on not liking the multitude of rediculous scope reticule options that abound, although I am most partial to a nice half mil-dot as on my Nikkos.
    some of the tasco scopes that you could buy on eblag were supposedly leapers also . the one i got was ok . i used it on my 2250 crosman .

could guntuff be JSR's brand name ?

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post

some of the tasco scopes that you could buy on eblag were supposedly leapers also . the one i got was ok . i used it on my 2250 crosman .

could guntuff be JSR's brand name ?
    Possibly, but that to one side, I have just been sent some photos of a Gun Tuff 6x40 from someone with one, and it seems a very fine scope indeed -- not just for the money, but for its finish and crystal clarity for a scope under £50. Therefore I am off to buy one from our sponsor via the bay of eeee right now ... In fact, sod it, I'm buyin' two while they are available, as they are perfect for my post 1975 collectable rifles. Thanks to all (especially our Ed at JSR ) ...

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 14-02-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: to ad a little red.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Possibly, but that to one side, I have just been sent some photos of a Gun Tuff 6x40 from someone with one, and it seems a very fine scope indeed -- not just for the money, but for its finish and crystal clarity for a scope under £50. Therefore I am off to buy one from our sponsor via the bay of eeee right now ... In fact, sod it, I'm buyin' two while they are available, as they are perfect for my post 1975 collectable rifles. Thanks to all (especially our Ed at JSR ) ...
    You know it makes sense. You never know, it may be the best purchase you've ever made.

Recently bought a very good condition BSA Supersport on this site for a very reasonable £90 which was complete with the exception of the rear sight. Checked online and a replacement rear sight is £30.00 including postage from the usual sources. Instead opted for the BSA .22 Special 4x32 scope from our sponsor for less than £20 posted to the door. Made in China in probably the same factory as the Gun Tuff. No brainer as far as I am concerned. This will now make a perfect follow on gun from the Buccaneer I have for my grandson

I'd like to know what they are like. Looking for a 6x40 and was going to get a Richter Optik one but will like to know what the Gun Tuff one is like.

As for complicated rets... I'm completely with you gents. Although I have recently gone to the other end of the market and got myself a Sightron with a HHR ret. This is like a duplex but with two smaller lines below the main one. Extremely simple and uncluttered. Not fancy and doesnt distract you from what you are shooting at. They are pricey though.