Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun Tuff Scopes ...

I bought a JSR scope years ago when my boy was going through the shooting phase for his rifle. It reminded me of an AGS of the time, excellent value for money and optical quality was pretty good and certainly useable for his SMK XS20. It got sold with the gun after couple of years. My only downside of it was it seemed a bit chunky in construction.
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Bought one, couldn't help it, lots of tatty old heirlooms to stick it in.
    Arriving next day or two, will report back.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by leetrenchard View Post

Bought one, couldn't help it, lots of tatty old heirlooms to stick it in.
    Arriving next day or two, will report back.
    Nice one. Mine arrived Saturday. Really quite good quality tubing and turrets, and the glass seems good, too, but because my old mince pies are so shagged, unfortunately, I found that there wasn't enough eye bell wind-out for me to clearly focus the cross hair reticule against the sky, so although they are very good scopes -- especially for the price tag -- mine are going back (bought two) in exchange for a Richter Optic 3-9x40 from our sponsor, instead, as I know that these have sufficient secure wind-out to sharpen the reticule to my ageing retina.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

The RO arrived today.

Nice clear lenses with no signs of distortion. Feels solid and the clicks are very positive. Nice decent field of view and a great reticle. Not a fan of mildots but these are quite subtle.

Impressed. Certainly better than a Mountmaster I looked through recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    The RO arrived today.

Nice clear lenses with no signs of distortion. Feels solid and the clicks are very positive. Nice decent field of view and a great reticle. Not a fan of mildots but these are quite subtle.

Impressed. Certainly better than a Mountmaster I looked through recently.
    I had the 3-9x50 RO on my .22lr and it was great . i liked the fact the IR only lite the Reticle and not the whole of the scope like others. I ended up swapping to my mate for his centre point as it had target turrets.

The Richter seemed a good scope for the money.

Finally got round to putting the RO on the 80. Still not had time to shoot it though.

Reparallaxing - dead easy. Easiest one I've done probably.

The reticle is quite interesting. It isnt a duplex 30/30 with mildots it is literally a cross hair with subtle dots in the centre. Works really well.

Looks good though and keeps the rifle nicely balanced.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    The guntuff scope you mention Gareth remind me of the old cheapie Chinese scopes that nearly every gun shop used to put on their secondhand rifles to help boost the price of the rifle up (I know this as they used to get a bit funny when you'd ask for the rifle only) I had a couple when I couldn't afford anything good and had the rear eye bell fly off one once and hit me in the face, that's when I saved enough and bought a secondhand Bushnell Trophy off of here and realised the difference in quality was so far apart.

There does seem to be the odd bargain out there that is worth getting, the little Simmons 8 point low mag thingies that our sponsor was selling was a good buy but I have a tendency, like others now, to buy secondhand Jap scopes from trusted names or names that slip under the radar, like Edgar brothers but even they have become crafty as I bought a Optimate scope at a good price off the bay of e and it was made in China (which the older ones were Jap made and the Optitwo label being the cheaper Chinese made) and the quality isn't as good as the older ones I have.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ...for a highly competitive £12.99 posted.

So less (say) 2.50 post (min)
    Less VAT (nom)
    Less retail margin at minimum (nom)
    Less importer's margin at bare minimum (nom)
    Less duty (nom)
    Less shipping (nom)
    Less manufacturer's margin (nom min)

So conservatively the scope costs £5 -ish to make inc materials, machining, labour, and all factory overheads.

What sort of scope exactly do we expect for a nominal £3 - £3.50 in materials?
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    What sort of scope exactly do we expect for a nominal £3 - £3.50 in materials?
    we did try to warn him
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Nice one. Mine arrived Saturday. Really quite good quality tubing and turrets, and the glass seems good, too, but because my old mince pies are so shagged, unfortunately, I found that there wasn't enough eye bell wind-out for me to clearly focus the cross hair reticule against the sky, so although they are very good scopes -- especially for the price tag -- mine are going back (bought two) in exchange for a Richter Optic 3-9x40 from our sponsor, instead, as I know that these have sufficient secure wind-out to sharpen the reticule to my ageing retina.
    Well got my 'no-quibble' refund to re-spend, no problem, but after reading Pete's last post, as above, I may now wait and see what comes up s/h from known members on here first, although I am defo keeping an eye on Ed's scope stock list, too.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Finally got to the range yesterday. Nice bright sunny day.

Fitted the RO to the .177 80 and away we went.

I have to admit it is difficult to fault. Held up to the recoil fine (so far) - probably shot around 150 pellets. Got some nice groups at 25m then I started picking off the 45m knock downs. Optics were good - no funny reflections or blurred edges despite the bright sun. It will be interesting to see how it fares in low light.

After I played with my 77 which has a Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 on it. Set at 6x and there was no discernible difference in quality from an image perspective.

I'm very impressed with my £25 "investment".

So what's the feedback on the GunTuff scopes then guys ? 6x40 for a tenner (about £3 of actual manufacting costs).. is it usable ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

At even as a loss leader the price makes it attractive, but how the business model works is beyond me.
    Being a fixed scope there is not too much to get wrong. 6x40 is plenty useful for the farm. Add adequate mounts it could be a workable sight for many applications, as there are plenty of rifles that it might suit.
    It really should be cross hair focus even for old eyes, and I'd be surprised if for most people it can't.
    If its that old construction where the front lens can be turned outward for 20m parallax then that would be a real plus for air gun use.
    Not everyone has, nor a few rifles warrant, a £100's scope.

If it does the job then well sourced JSR. Many a champion shot started with a low cost plinker fantastic; just needs to go pop and hit that tin can.

Once upon a time Hawk may have had feature rich Chinese scopes but the scopes really weren't good at all. A scope that doesn't do the basics with a decent view, clicks that don't hold, and poi shifts with parallax, are a waste of effort and money. Thankfully things have improved but a lot of very poor scopes were sold. Hawk can do good scopes now. Not sure every one is, but my Sidewinder is plenty impressive for the price. MTC Chinese are good too, as are Chinese made for Bushnell and a few others. So China can with help do it.

Anyhow, if this scope can, once zeroed, hold it there, and isn't too light fussy, then for many its something at least and better than the complete rubbish of old we used to have at these super low prices.
    Last edited by Muskett; 01-05-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

So what's the feedback on the GunTuff scopes then guys ? 6x40 for a tenner (about £3 of actual manufacting costs).. is it usable ?
    As said @ post #33 they went back to JSR.

As said @ post #33 they went back to JSR.
    Sure, I was wondering if anyone had tried them ?