Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BSA supersport custom

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    The MK3 Mercury had the adjustable hinge pin as well, John, so comes a pretty close second to the S and easier to find.
    Oh, never knew that.. why on earth did they drop it ?!?!
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

It's amusing hearing people say get a mercury s their easier to find blower if I can find one.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    It's amusing hearing people say get a mercury s their easier to find blower if I can find one.
    much easier, but not necesarily easy !
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The hard part is finding a off the shelf shoulder bolt that is long enough, imperial ones dont seem to be long enough and 6mm metric are easy to get but are .25mm too small dia so will no doubt still cause issues.

The lathe is currently being fitted with a new backplate so cannot make a custom bolt to fit at the moment and I am not willing to pay the silly amount for a merc bolt and I have a merc and x2 supersports to do.

From what I can tell all you have to do is drill out the old pin hole slightly to fit the shoulder bolt and nut and then stick it through and tighten.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    Will look into it bud cheers probably easier to retro fit the bolt than find a ss custom by the sound of it.
    I'd say so, I was thinking of doing the same once upon a time.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Oh, never knew that.. why on earth did they drop it ?!?!
    Yep, the mk3,4,S and Challenger all had them, they dropped it because they're idiots but I expect it was penny pinching from Gamo.

If they had kept the Custom model as standard then I recon they would have given some of the German break barrels a run for their money.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hi Matt,

Your inbox is full mate, so I thought I'd put the measurements you require up here and you never know they may help others as well who are thinking of doing the conversion, sorry for the delay but I couldn't find my calipers until now, anyway it seems the SS cylinder is 1mm wider than the Mercury cylinder, I know the internal piston sizes of the Merc are 28mm as you can do a Diana 34 piston seal conversion to them as they are 28mm as well but the SS is 29mm seal size which must mean the later RB2 Airsporters are 29mm as they use the same type parachute seal as the SS, the sizes are below,

Supersport.

cylinder width 32.8mm

Jaws width 8.5mm (each side)

Mercury/Challenger.

Cylinder width 31.8mm

Jaws width 8mm

And out of curiosity the breech block width is 15.7mm

So there shouldn't be any problems with the bolt not being long enough as there's plenty of thread on them, I'm sure a competent machinist can do something to accommodate 1mm somewhere, either make the bolt head/nut hole 0.5mm deeper either side (if the bolt isn't long enough) but I suppose the head and nut will just sit in the cylinder 0.5mm deeper than the Mercury's, which you wouldn't even notice.

Hope that's of help to you mate and if you need any other info then let me know and I'll see what I can do

Pete

Thanks mate that is just what I needed, I really don't think it would be a problem countersinking the holes in the breech jaws .5mm more on each side as there would still be plenty of meat left in the jaws under the bolt/nut.

Now to keep my eyes peeled for a nice .177 ss carbine

Thanks again.

Thanks mate that is just what I needed, I really don't think it would be a problem countersinking the holes in the breech jaws .5mm more on each side as there would still be plenty of meat left in the jaws under the bolt/nut.

Now to keep my eyes peeled for a nice .177 ss carbine

Thanks again.
    Not a problem, you've just added another challenge now to your quest trying to find a .177 carbine

It may be cheaper and easier to buy a .177 Lightning barrel (John Knibbs often has "seconds" that are cheaper) as I expect you'll want to add a silencer as well and with the short barrel it makes it extremely pointable.

Pete

Yes to be honest your right it is a challenge I have found one tho but it's not cheap at £250 it does look very nice but it seems a little steep to me although I do really like it so you never no lol.

Yes to be honest your right it is a challenge I have found one tho but it's not cheap at £250 it does look very nice but it seems a little steep to me although I do really like it so you never no lol.
    That's well overpriced in my eyes, more like £150 especially if it's an old secondhand one.

Pete

Yep that's what I'm thinking, it's meant to have amazing metalwork and a 'few' marks to the stock has the optional silencer and opens and also a period Apollo jap scope but that has a ring on the end of the bell so can't even sell that to recouped funds.

Yep that's what I'm thinking, it's meant to have amazing metalwork and a 'few' marks to the stock has the optional silencer and opens and also a period Apollo jap scope but that has a ring on the end of the bell so can't even sell that to recouped funds.
    The trouble is you're going to replace the stock and as SS's ain't that populer you may struggle to sell the old one on to recoup some money, so it may be worth you keeping an eye open for a cheap half decent one that has good metal work and a ropey stock, internals you'll probably end up replacing with a tuning kit and if you get a cheap "seconds" .177 barrel from John knibbs then that will help you get what you want quicker.

Pete

That does sound like a plan mate, I need to give knibbs a call as well to check on the condition of the ss custom stocks as the description makes it sound like you could get one with a few little dings or one that's been in a pond for a month lol.

That does sound like a plan mate, I need to give knibbs a call as well to check on the condition of the ss custom stocks as the description makes it sound like you could get one with a few little dings or one that's been in a pond for a month lol.
    Let me know what they say as if they've got a few, I may get another one for mine.

Pete