Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BSA supersport custom

Will do bud if they are willing to pick a good one out fair play if it's pot luck I may not be so keen.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    Will do bud if they are willing to pick a good one out fair play if it's pot luck I may not be so keen.
    Thanks for that, my stock needs refinishing as it has dings all over it, which I'm not afraid of doing but it's just plain as hell with no nice grain pattern on it, if they have one with nice graining then I may be tempted as I'm not worried if it needs refinishing.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

To be honest I did think about using the bolt from a mercury but come to the conclusion that I couldn't tap one side of the jaws as the breech pin hole would be too large.
    Hope you understand what I'm getting at.
    You could drill and tap either end of the breech pin M4 then fit an M4 countersunk bolt on either side of the pin to nip up the breech --- having the bolts lock up on the pin just as the jaws are nipped up would be ideal.

This method was shown years ago in "Sporting Air Rifle" magazine.

I like that idea for a quick fix, might have a go with a scrap bit of bar first to get the dimensions right though.

Did the bolts sit flush with the chamber or stick out at all?

I did think of that idea with my old lightning it's the same principle as diana use if I remember correctly.

I think the bsa bolt set for £10 is the way to go tho really as it will look neat when done 'hopefully' lol.

I did think of that idea with my old lightning it's the same principle as diana use if I remember correctly.

I think the bsa bolt set for £10 is the way to go tho really as it will look neat when done 'hopefully' lol.
    If you need any measurement done for the holes that the bolt/nut sits in then let me know, I'm sure the bolt head is bigger than the nut (or vice versa) as it will only go in one way and the thin washers only go on one way as well, I'll have to take them out to see which way to be sure.

You'll also have to modify a flat bladed screwdriver by cutting out a small square out of the middle to go over the end of the bolt as it comes through the middle of the nut (obviously) and you can undo/do up the nut (sorry if I'm sounding like I'm teaching you to suck eggs).

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thanks for that I'm guessing the but will be a little wider I have some calipers so I can take measurements when I get the bolt as it will be easier than you having to remove yours but cheers for that.

Also I will give knibbs a call sometime this week regarding the stocks.

Thanks for that I'm guessing the but will be a little wider I have some calipers so I can take measurements when I get the bolt as it will be easier than you having to remove yours but cheers for that.

Also I will give knibbs a call sometime this week regarding the stocks.
    I suppose in theory I should phone them myself but I drive a lorry all day and I keep forgetting (or if I do remember to I'm driving and can't because of the laws), also if I do call them and they tell me something I want to hear, I'm then tempted to buy one there and then but I have to wait until I get paid first.

Pete

Haha ye I see what you mean well I'm okay as I need to find a rifle before a stock and a bolt so I'm safe to call em lol I'm finding it tricky hunting down as/lightings for fair money to be honest aswell all seem close to £200 or over which seems steep to me.

BSA as custom

I have one in .22 available for the right money.
    Barrel was lathe shortened and crowned with a stubby half inch unf silencer accuracy is good
    Stock is sprayed black
    Has a basic 4x scope on it.
    It's a joy to shoot but a little buzzy as I never got around to sorting it.
    E
    Message me if you are interested

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitman View Post
    I have one in .22 available for the right money.
    Barrel was lathe shortened and crowned with a stubby half inch unf silencer accuracy is good
    Stock is sprayed black
    Has a basic 4x scope on it.
    It's a joy to shoot but a little buzzy as I never got around to sorting it.
    E
    Message me if you are interested
    Come on then lets see some photos

Pete

BSA supersport custom

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    The hard part is finding a off the shelf shoulder bolt that is long enough, imperial ones dont seem to be long enough and 6mm metric are easy to get but are .25mm too small dia so will no doubt still cause issues.

The lathe is currently being fitted with a new backplate so cannot make a custom bolt to fit at the moment and I am not willing to pay the silly amount for a merc bolt and I have a merc and x2 supersports to do.

From what I can tell all you have to do is drill out the old pin hole slightly to fit the shoulder bolt and nut and then stick it through and tighten.
    THE BOLT IS A SMALLER DIAMETER THAN THE PIN ON BSA BREAK BARRELS, I TRIED TO SWAP A MERC BARREL YEARS AGO THATS HOW i KNOW.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    THE BOLT IS A SMALLER DIAMETER THAN THE PIN ON BSA BREAK BARRELS, I TRIED TO SWAP A MERC BARREL YEARS AGO THATS HOW i KNOW.
    I've been swapping BSA barrels between models for years without problems, admittedly the Mercs/Challengers they've been fitted to have all been the bolt version but the .25 Lightning barrel (which comes from a model with a pin) I have on my Supersport was on my Mercury and the Challenger actions before that, I can't see why BSA would do two different size bolts and pins, if the hole in the breech block is different than what's fitted to the pin model then there would be a lock up/wobbly breech problem, which I've never encountered before, even a generic barrel from a BSA fits my Brocock Independent (made by BSA for Brocock) except the breech block is slightly longer on the Brocock so you can't fit the cocking slide to a BSA barrel but the axis bolt hole is the same size.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 20-02-2018 at 06:31 AM.

: BSA supersport custom

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I've been swapping BSA barrels between models for years without problems, admittedly the Mercs/Challengers they've been fitted to have all been the bolt version but the .25 Lightning barrel (which comes from a model with a pin) I have on my Supersport was on my Mercury and the Challenger actions before that, I can't see why BSA would do two different size bolts and pins, if the hole in the breech block is different than what's fitted to the pin model then there would be a lock up/wobbly breech problem, which I've never encountered before, even a generic barrel from a BSA fits my Brocock Independent (made by BSA for Brocock) except the breech block is slightly longer on the Brocock so you can't fit the cocking slide to a BSA barrel but the axis bolt hole is the same size.

Pete
    Maybe the later lightning barrels are but i was using a mercury .22 barrel onto a 635 magnum that uses the same bolt as the challenger i currently own, it could be done if a hollow bush was made to fit in the breech jaws to take up the slack(from a breech pin would be ideal) You must be lucky though,I've never found a lightning barrel that gave good accuracy out of about a dozen i've shot.

Gave the countersunk bolt mod a go today on a old excel with quite badly warped jaws and its gone ok and has nipped up nicely, the bolts sit nice on the top but stick out a bit on the bottom but nobody will really see it under the gun.