Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fenman Shoot Test !

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Sounds excellent, John.

What's the third one?
    A more recent .22 Hyedua Fenman. This one's in in better nick that the first but it has a plainer stock, it is however a very accurate shooter which I have used on bunnies in the field with much success !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    A more recent .22 Hyedua Fenman. This one's in in better nick that the first but it has a plainer stock, it is however a very accurate shooter which I have used on bunnies in the field with much success !
    Nice.

If you're ever in Lincoln, John, nip into City on Newark Road. When I picked the little 30S up the other week, Ady was proudly showing off his private collection of various Theobens, including many very rare models. The shop is rammed with all sorts, old and new. There was a brace of Lincoln Jeffries rifles there that I had to resist. Lots of stuff for sale, rifles, pistols, gear etc. and, in addition to his Theobens, he also has his own Sheridans, Benjamins and Setras on view.

Give him a call first and tell him I sent you. Apparently some find him a bit, er, frosty, but if is expecting you and knows I sent you you'll receive a warm welcome.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Nice.

If you're ever in Lincoln, John, nip into City on Newark Road. When I picked the little 30S up the other week, Ady was proudly showing off his private collection of various Theobens, including many very rare models. The shop is rammed with all sorts, old and new. There was a brace of Lincoln Jeffries rifles there that I had to resist. Lots of stuff for sale, rifles, pistols, gear etc. and, in addition to his Theobens, he also has his own Sheridans, Benjamins and Setras on view.

Give him a call first and tell him I sent you. Apparently some find him a bit, er, frosty, but if is expecting you and knows I sent you you'll receive a warm welcome.
    OK Tony, I occasionally get over there so I'll bare it in mind !
    Ta VM.
    “An airgun or two”………

Fenman Shoot Test !

Got three guns to shoot tomorrow Tone, including this one.
    Another is my Airsporter RB2 .22 Carbine which has a recently fitted Nikko Stirling 3-9x40 "rose tinted lens" scope !
    Really looking forward to that one !
    My RB carbine gave best accuracy with the larger head size ftt's,they shoot most decent pellets well too, superdomes etc.

Try accupell if you have any, also known as crosman premier.

I had a beautiful thumbhole stocked Olympus in 0.177.

I had problems with the Ram in winter when the weather dropped to near zero or below. From a warm car you could put it over the chrono and watch each pellet shoot a lower velocity. So I had to get to a shoot and leave it out for 20 mins to stabilise ( MV would be low now in the cold ). I also had to shoot it quite slowly because shooting it quickly seemed to warm up the Ram and power would be all over the place. Could that be a problem with your Fenman in this cold weather?

No not really, i shoot it indoors over 25 and 33m. The power remains constant but the group is not as tight as I would like !
    “An airgun or two”………

If you are shooting bench style then be careful of cheek weld weight, that will give vertical issues.
    Gasram is 1/2 as hold sensitive as most springers, but they are hold sensitive.
    Ensure whatever way you shot them that its repeatable.

80's scopes were not that great especially front Pararallax scopes. Just another thing to look out for.

The list is endless. How to get any of them to "behave" is part of the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    If you are shooting bench style then be careful of cheek weld weight, that will give vertical issues.
    Gasram is 1/2 as hold sensitive as most springers, but they are hold sensitive.
    Ensure whatever way you shot them that its repeatable.

80's scopes were not that great especially front Pararallax scopes. Just another thing to look out for.

The list is endless. How to get any of them to "behave" is part of the hobby.
    Thanks !
    Currently the scope is a Simmons 3.5-10x40 WTC which I bought new about eight years back especially for this air rifle. As far as I'm awatr it performs well but there's always a first time to misbehave I guess.
    The other later .22 Fenman carries a Simmons Expedition 1.5-7x32 which is superb and I wouldn't mind another for this the earlier Fenman !
    “An airgun or two”………

Scopes sound fine, both quite good. The Simmons aim point ones weren't built well enough. Parallax can be an issue, so head/eye position best kept constant at all times. Do your own tests to see what could force a shift in POI.

Check stock screws are tight, they do work loose on Theobens.

Its the case of go through the list. Never known a Theoben moderator to be an issue, even when the barrel has bent. All mine, and I've had a few, wanted to shoot straight. The hold sensitiveness was the thing to master/find; especially at the bench.

Nice.

often in Lincoln , which end of Newark Road please.. never knew there was one

My old fenman used to shoot great up to about 30 shots , then go off on one ...

After a few chrono tests and a look at the gasram ,,, my conclusion was the ram gets hot when plinking and if warm just looses its consistancey ... the ram showed scorch marks etc .

replaced the ram and all was well , but saying that I don't think the gas ram was really the best system for long plinking sessions

Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post
    often in Lincoln , which end of Newark Road please.. never knew there was one
    If you're going in from the Newark side, Darren, go through North Hykeham. Once you go past the left turn for Doddington, it's approximately a mile and you'll see the shop on the right near KwikFit and next door to a Tesco Express. So about a mile and a half before the centre.

Hope that helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have a really nice early Hyedua stocked .22 Fenman, in fact the stock is an exquisit tiger stripped pattern which Theoben (Custom Stock) occasionally produced.
    I've had this rifle for some years now but it has a tendency to behave a "bit like a shotgun" with a 20mm spread at 25m which I'm not too happy with.
    The barrel and everything else as far as I can see looks fine but I've recently swapped the original Evo moddy which was a little worn, for a very nice Vortex unit and tomorrow I'm taking the rifle down to the range with a selection of .22 pellets to reasess its ability !
    Fun stuff this airgun gunning lark isn't it !
    Satisfaction beyond measure sir... Beyond measure. Its like a fine cigar or whiskey if your onto that stuff. I can't wait to eventually straighten my evo out.. but il have to put aside my 77 love affair first
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Interesting session yesterday all at 25m range.
    Firstly, the .22 Airsporter RB2 Carbine shot very well with F&TT 5.53's with decent groups. The "old" Eley Wasps 5.6's were not far behind. This was the gun mounting the gloss black Jap "rose tinted" lens Nikko Stirling which I really like ! The combo seems to work quite well .

Secondly, the "early" .22 Fenman also did quite well on the 5.53's but after around 60/70 shots, the power began to drop off slightly. I've had this problem before with my .177 Evo. probably something to do with worn/leaking seals ? Up to that point the groupings were improving so rightly or wrongly, the replacement Vortex moddy seem to have imploved things.

Thirdly, there is no thirdly ! I didn't get the chance to shoot my "later" .22 Fenman !

I'll have another go next week !
    “An airgun or two”………