Thread: Is there any problem using a .22cal mod on a .177cal rifle?

Is there any problem using a .22cal mod on a .177cal rifle?

The reason i am asking is my skan r32 i bought recently has a very nice looking AA Qtec .22cal silencer with it.my other gun i bought the pax phoenix ff10 came with a hw silencer. I was thinking of putting the Qtec on the pax but its a .22cal mod. Will it mean it will just be a bit louder? Or will it affect grouping? Silly question but i have not interchanged mods like this before.

Wouldnt have thought there would be any problems, the other way round, well goes without saying.
    I have had a few problems with Qtecs, in fact on the third one, which seems to be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    The reason i am asking is my skan r32 i bought recently has a very nice looking AA Qtec .22cal silencer with it.my other gun i bought the pax phoenix ff10 came with a hw silencer. I was thinking of putting the Qtec on the pax but its a .22cal mod. Will it mean it will just be a bit louder? Or will it affect grouping? Silly question but i have not interchanged mods like this before.
    Slightly louder. You probably won't notice. Accuracy will be the same.

The HW will be in .22 anyway, I'd say that better than 90% of mods for both air & rimfire are Not calibre specific the vast majority being .22,
    .17 specific mods are fairly rare.

As said .17HMR mods are quite rare. When they are done correctly then they are far more effective a deadening noise and blast. The no longer in production Swift Precision Nightingale .17HMR dedicated was the best .17HMR noise reducer at one time. Markably better, and a whole lot better than any .22LR used for the job.

If you have never heard the difference between a good .17HMR and an also ran one, then you sure have missed out. They take the noise down to just the crack, which when the .17HMR round is a noisy one is a real boon.
    Same with .22lr which, even when high velocity isn't that noisy a crack, and as sub sonic only a phut, are still worth investing in something above average.
    What we thought fine a few years back, is really not great today. Those who say its not necessary as cheap and cheerful is fine are talking rubbish, and missing out big time.

Basically, a really good moderator makes a big difference, and marketably so over even an average one.
    SAK are only average in my book, but I believe they have brought out a new one. Look for reviews, what really works. If it costs a bit more and really works I think money well spent.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    The BSA VC moderator is adjustable for calibre - .177, .22 and .25.
    Good deals with these members

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Is the Weihrauch HW airgun moderator universal ie. Fits all calibers ?
    I have one on a .25 Cal. 80 but as its the only one I have, I can't compare it !
    “An airgun or two”………

Calibre specific? Some manufacturers fine tune to calibre and some give plenty of leeway. Some will provide calibre specific baffle systems but for the cost of a moderator is that really a good thing? Maybe for fullbore??
    There is a deluge of moderators to choose from now. Think its the case of checking each one of its merit on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I have one on a .25 Cal. 80 but as its the only one I have, I can't compare it !
    HW moderators are not specific for .177 and .22 but they do have a specific one for .25.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    What size hex key fits the front ?
    The .177/.22 takes a 7mm I'd expect the .25 to take at least an 8mm.

I used a standard HW on my .25 FAC for several years without issue.

silencer manufacturers leave oversize exit apertures to prevent pellet clipping. The rifle bore is many times not centered/aligned with the barrels half inch thread. The moderator will not follow/align right.

if you have a good barrel, you CAN minimize the exit hole size on the attached moderator, it makes big difference. Of course you can use larger holed ones but then it will be louder so compromising performance
    i have stuck a very short carbon fibre arrow section into my .22 hw100 modertor front, where the 7mm allen key would go and it is lot quieter i am using it on a .177
    Last edited by krisko; 01-03-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    What size hex key fits the front ?
    The .177/.22 takes a 7mm I'd expect the .25 to take at least an 8mm.

I used a standard HW on my .25 FAC for several years without issue.

Dunno, I'll check !
    “An airgun or two”………