Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milbro SMKs?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Milbro SMKs?

Is SMK using the Milbro badge to sell Chinese airguns?

You cannot tell me these are made in Mildenhall, Suffolk ...

http://sportsmk.co.uk/cat/35555/air-rifles/milbro/

What kind of batshit crazy world are we living in?

Someone will re-badge a Chinese car as an Austin 1100 next.

Luke Nash who owns SMK bought the name and good will of Milbro from the Receiver. Mildenhall has long gone. Milbro pellets are made by Lanes of York for them in new moulds as the old ones were auctioned off by the same Receiver.
    What's wrong with sticking an old name on an import rather than seeing an old name consigned to the history books. As Chinese airguns go, SPA makes a reasonable product to wear the Milbro name.
    If the likes of AA won't make a new break barrel because of costs, there isn't much chance of SMK investing in a new range.
    As for Morris 1100's, they couldn't be any worse than what British Leyland turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Yes.

Webley, BSA, Milbro.... all just marketing names these days.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Yes.

It just seems pointless. What is wrong with naming it with something Chinese? They sell Lenovo computers, thats a nice brand name from China. I used to shoot a Hammerli 401 springer years ago (got another one due for refurb in the locker) and Hammerli was a Swiss/German brand with a certain reputation. They made blisteringly accurate .22 rimfire pistols and rifles and a range of extremely accurate CO2 match pistols, and this range of mid-market side-lever springers. They weren't Weihrauch or Feinwerkbau quality, but the designs were good value for money, they had superb barrels (the least pellet sensitive in their generation) and excellent triggers. The Hammerli had a well deserved reputation for being a supremely accurate (if not powerful) air-rifle, the only rifles which bettered it were three times the price.

The Hammerli rifles that are re-badged Chinese rifles have nothing at all in common with the old Hammerli, it is just pointless sticking that moniker on them. I would much prefer they would use the name of the nearest river in the Chinese province that the factory is located in or the name of the chief engineer's first love.

Also, few people even know what a Hammerli IS, at least in the UK. A few old ex-pistol shooters, i.e. the kind of people who would never buy a cheap chinese airgun....
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 28-02-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Venoman opened up one of the new milbro hunters well i think it was that model and wasnt impressed it didnt even have a proper spring guide

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    Venoman opened up one of the new milbro hunters well i think it was that model and wasnt impressed it didnt even have a proper spring guide
    Was that no guide at all or just a piece of pressed metal rattling about?

The Webley Hawk and the Webley Osprey didn't have spring guides, maybe they copied the wrong 70s British springer disaster....?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post

Indeed: sad but true.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

secretagentmole Guest

Milbro used a German name to sell Scottish made air rifles after all!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Milbro used a German name to sell Scottish made air rifles after all!
    That is an excellent point. The Dianas that came from Motherwell were not the Dianas that came from wherever the M&G factory is in Germany. There were some good ones, like the Series 70 Model 71.

It is silly really. In the case of Skoda, no name change seemed necessary, although the case cannot be stronger in that scenario for a name change. The Skoda of my youth was reviled and cursed as an unreliable, poor-performing, under-developed Communist mooncalf, a horrendous living fossil of a motorcar. Now they are basically a 'best value' VW they sell extremely well under the Skoda name, and have a reputation as being reliable, comfortable modern vehicles that people in the know will buy even if they can afford their allegedly superior and more expensive rivals.

The Webley Hawk and the Webley Osprey didn't have spring guides, maybe they copied the wrong 70s British springer disaster....?

It was the milbro tracker hunter that he stripped it had no spring guide just a little nub to keep the spring 'central'.
    Also said the trigger was nasty with a fair bit of creep and none adjustable so sounds fairly shoddy to be fair.

re branding is one of my pet hates of late we have apart from this milbro carry on
    Diana re naming several SMK Pcps
    gamo re naming the Evinix rex
    Daystate re naming Atamans and the list goes on

I best keep quiet about Rover/MGs then....

Milbro SMKs?

Well they certainly pinched the tracker name & profile by those pics, just dosn't look right with a long barrel though.I wonder if they're as horrible as the webley tracker I had a go with in the 80's, hope not!
    Last edited by junglie; 01-03-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    I best keep quiet about Rover/MGs then....
    You're a long way from Abingdon, Dorothy!

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    re branding is one of my pet hates of late we have apart from this milbro carry on
    Diana re naming several SMK Pcps
    gamo re naming the Evinix rex
    Daystate re naming Atamans and the list goes on
    The Tsar? Could the clue be in the name?