Thread: Pellet head dia

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"

Pellet head dia

Waiting for the olympics to kick in and having time to spare I weighed a tin of AA diabolo's 4.52 and then because of curiosity ran 60 through a pellet gauge to check their head dia.
    I had noticed that some seemed a bit loose in the barrel of my FTP900 and HW97 in the past and if the barrel was inclined up some fell out.
    Immediately the gauge showed the 4.52 pellets were in fact 4.48 with a few at 4.49, although quite consistant with the spread; but very confusing as I always assumed when the tin said 4.52 thats what they were, not as small as shown by the gauge.
    So to get pellets of 4.52 (if they would improve accuracy) I might start to try 4.53 or 4 to match the rifles barrel. Assuming that that is 4.52?
    Now it seems I need to get a bore gauge.' Are there any pellets that are in fact 4.52?
    HERX77 .
    Last edited by Herx77; 14-02-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

I have always found the head size given on pellet tins to be just a guesstimate. It very rarely equates to the size of the actual pellets in the tin.
    Bob

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I buy 4.53's and run them through a 4.50 sizer, to be fair some are still not that hard to push through
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Since practically every person shooting at the World Field Target match uses AA/JSB pellets, I wouldn't worry about the size. As long as they shoot accurately, I couldn't care less about the size of the head or the fit in the barrel. The skirt of the JSB/AA pellets is always larger than the head and this is what seals the bore.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    I've always thought that the skirt has more effect on the accuracy of the pellet groups,and it is correct that they are always(in Daystate and AA anyway) larger by a mile than the head dia.
    When using RWS Superfields in the past , very accurate, until they altered the die, and made the head dia larger and skirt smaller. When testing at 55yds could not get anywhere near the groups the old pellets could achieve.
    Still, suprised how off the sizes the pellet dia were.Still, if the groups hold good at 55yds, those are the ones to buy.In bulk!
    HERX77 .
    Last edited by Herx77; 15-02-2018 at 11:58 AM.
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

I just buy a few tins of several different die #'s and try them. I keep the ones that work best at 55 yards and sell on the others. I then buy as many of the best ones I can.

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    I just buy a few tins of several different die #'s and try them. I keep the ones that work best at 55 yards and sell on the others. I then buy as many of the best ones I can.
    .is the correct answer .

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    See Brian Samson's info on pellet sizes on s-t-b.

Basically, ignore head size. You will find the same die no. for 4.51 - 4.53. Find a batch that works and buy a shedload!!!

Jerry