Thread: HW77 cock/trigger/stock issue.

HW77 cock/trigger/stock issue.

We've done these threads before and I've commented with advice on a few.

This one is doing my head in.

I have several HW77 stocks.

This is a second action that I'm working on. I wanted to try it in an old Tyrolean stock that I've not used before.

The stock is pre anti-bear trap so doesn't have the extra cut out for the lug. You use a longer front trigger bolt that goes straight into the action.

Out of the stock the action cocks and engages the safety. Knock the safety off and it fires. All as it should be.

If you fit it to this stock and fit front and rear trigger pins then it won't cock, engage safety or fire. If I remove the front trigger pin ... it works fine.

Same action in two other stocks ( but using lug ) and it works fine.

Take action out of stock and screw full length pin all the way into action and it still cocks and fires fine.

Another action in this Tyro stock and that won't work either. So must be stock related.

There is loads of clearance inside the stock for the trigger unit.
    Last edited by bozzer; 15-02-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    We've done these threads before and I've commented with advice on a few.

This one is doing my head in.

I have several HW77 stocks.

This is a second action that I'm working on. I wanted to try it in an old Tyrolean stock that I've not used before.

The stock is pre anti-bear trap so doesn't have the extra cut out for the lug. You use a longer front trigger bolt that goes straight into the action.

Out of the stock the action cocks and engages the safety. Knock the safety off and it fires. All as it should be.

If you fit it to this stock and fit front and rear trigger pins then it won't cock, engage safety or fire. If I remove the front trigger pin ... it works fine.

Same action in two other stocks ( but using lug ) and it works fine.

Take action out of stock and screw full length pin all the way into action and it still cocks and fires fine.

Another action in this Tyro stock and that won't work either. So must be stock related.

There is loads of clearance inside the stock for the trigger unit.

It's normally the sear that sticks out the front of the cage catching the stock just behind the front trigger guard screw.

I don't bother altering the stock, I just chop the front off the sear forward of the torx screw --- that bit does nothing anyway.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    It's normally the sear that sticks out the front of the cage catching the stock just behind the front trigger guard screw.

I don't bother altering the stock, I just chop the front off the sear forward of the torx screw --- that bit does nothing anyway.

All the best Mick
    Sounds familiar.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks Mick

I'm familiar with that problem and it's normally a case of taking a tad of wood off there. As you say, or cut a tad of the sear ( I've always chopped the wood ) ... but there seems loads of clearance. In the later stocks ( most ) that lug hole is a much bigger diameter than the lower hole for the pin. The amount of wood between the side of the lug hole and the cut out for the trigger is minimal and sometimes you have to cut a piece of wood through to the lug hole. On this there is no lug hole as it's just a hole the diameter of the straight through pin. So there is much more space between that hole and the ( normal ) cut out for re trigger. So the trigger cut out is quite big.

I'll have another look. I've never actually used this stock. I've had it for about 10 years but can't remember ever using it.

Cheers again.

Col

Could it be the front trigger guard screw extending too far through and impeding the piston rod as it passes through the trigger block?
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hi

Ive had exactly the same problem with a Venom “Hunter” Tyrolean stock and a Custom Stock CS600 Tyrolean Stock, which nearly drove me and my mate Craig Petty nuts. The fix in the end was quite simple we placed a thin washer on the inside of the stock where the forend screw goes through, on the left hand side. This spaced the HW77 action correctly into the stock and the rifle cocked effortlessly, as expected.

This was apparently a common occurrence on Venom Tyrolean stocked rifles. I’ve got one where the thin washers were actually glued to the inside of the stock,where the forend screws go through the stock, so I have always presumed that it is likely to have been done from new. The washers look exactly like the flat Weihrauch forend screw washers

Maybe this will help you

Regards

David