Thread: Size of Collectors' Market in the UK

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Size of Collectors' Market in the UK

As a matter of curiosity, I am wondering if there has been any research on the possible size of the collectors' market for airguns in the UK? Clearly, there are those with a single rifle and/or pistol, bought new, who would probably not fall into this bracket. There is then a smaller number, similar to those here, who have two or more airguns and who are active enthusiasts. Determining the various categories is clearly a task in itself (including those who collect pistols rather than rifles). There is then the question of the value of both the second hand market and the new sales' market. Perhaps no one knows the answers to many of these and allied questions.

Finally, is the market for both new sales and second hand sales stable or contracting? Within this question, is the number of collectors, such as those here, rising or falling?
    Last edited by andrewM; 16-02-2018 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    As a matter of curiosity, I am wondering if there has been any research on the possible size of the collectors' market for airguns in the UK? Clearly, there are those with a single rifle and/or pistol, bought new, who would probably not fall into this bracket. There is then a smaller number, similar to those here, who have two or more airguns and who are active enthusiasts. Determining the various categories is clearly a task in itself (including those who collect pistols rather than rifles). There is then the question of the value of both the second hand market and the new sales' market. Perhaps no one knows the answers to many of these and allied questions.

Finally, is the market for both new sales' and second hand stable or contracting? Within this question, is the number of collectors, such as those here, rising or falling?
    I'm not aware of any research on the size or value of the collectors' market for airguns but would be interested to read it if there is any.

I imagine Terry Doe would have an idea of the ballpark value of the new airguns market?

Tim Dyson may have a view on the size of the collectors' market, I suppose. He must have done his homework before launching his business.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Ah, Garvin, you were the one person I thought might be capable of answering some of these questions! Perhaps Tim Dyson has an idea but perhaps he only identified a niche in the market place that required filling.

More crucially, is the collectibles market, and those interested in it, rising or falling? Are we attracting in new collectors over and above those departing (perhaps to another sphere!)? Certainly, prices seem to be firm and perhaps rising and this suggests demand exceeds supply - despite the licencing difficulties in Scotland, which will have briefly added a new source of supply from those who ceased their interest rather than incur the cost and bother of applying for a licence.

Great questions I’ve speculated about the same thing over here in the US. Doubt that you will see a study but there are areas that could be thought through that may give an indication of the hobby’s heath.

1. Are airgun shows increasing in size, staying the same or declining?

2. The evolution of collecting. Collecting is internet driven now. I am fairly new to Airgun collecting and I think the Airgun show was one of the main arenas where collectors gathered. That could still be the case but in the last two years the internet is where I have acquired most of my collection. Very hard to measure the demand here except through price movement.

3. What is the traffic, membership on internet collecting sites? That can be measured.

4. The question for the long term is whether the next generation will have an interest? Wonder what the average age is on these internet sites? It’s a very similar question vintage guitar collectors ask. We buy, collect the things we wanted in our youth. Will the digital generation even care about these old mechanical devices?

Magazine circulation

can give a rough idea.As far as I can tell,folk who subscribe regularly to a niche magazine generally have a 'collectors interest' in the topic. I can recall when 'air gun collecting' was just a branch of 'gun collecting,here in New Zealand. My first contact with an all-air gun collector was in 1979.The late Nevile Lodge O.B.E. had around 70 air pistols and 40 air rifles.An amazing number-to me ,at the time. I think we air gun collectors came out of the closet when Airgun World mag hit the book stores. I think the mid 1980s was a 'golden period' for air gun collectors-again here in NZ.Webley Service rifles for as low as $90NZ and Britannia's and Gems under the hundred as well. It was a time when collectors,doing a deal,would toss in a Daisy or Benjamin or Milbro as a,'sweetener'!

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    FWIW and it ain't a hill of beans, I've never met a collector any more than a few years younger than myself. I'm pretty close to fifty and probably started about seven or eight years ago.

Dave
    Smell my cheese