Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size of Collectors' Market in the UK

Size of Collectors' Market in the UK

As a matter of curiosity, I am wondering if there has been any research on the possible size of the collectors' market for airguns in the UK? Clearly, there are those with a single rifle and/or pistol, bought new, who would probably not fall into this bracket. There is then a smaller number, similar to those here, who have two or more airguns and who are active enthusiasts. Determining the various categories is clearly a task in itself (including those who collect pistols rather than rifles). There is then the question of the value of both the second hand market and the new sales' market. Perhaps no one knows the answers to many of these and allied questions.

Finally, is the market for both new sales and second hand sales stable or contracting? Within this question, is the number of collectors, such as those here, rising or falling?
    Last edited by andrewM; 16-02-2018 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    As a matter of curiosity, I am wondering if there has been any research on the possible size of the collectors' market for airguns in the UK? Clearly, there are those with a single rifle and/or pistol, bought new, who would probably not fall into this bracket. There is then a smaller number, similar to those here, who have two or more airguns and who are active enthusiasts. Determining the various categories is clearly a task in itself (including those who collect pistols rather than rifles). There is then the question of the value of both the second hand market and the new sales' market. Perhaps no one knows the answers to many of these and allied questions.

Finally, is the market for both new sales' and second hand stable or contracting? Within this question, is the number of collectors, such as those here, rising or falling?
    I'm not aware of any research on the size or value of the collectors' market for airguns but would be interested to read it if there is any.

I imagine Terry Doe would have an idea of the ballpark value of the new airguns market?

Tim Dyson may have a view on the size of the collectors' market, I suppose. He must have done his homework before launching his business.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Ah, Garvin, you were the one person I thought might be capable of answering some of these questions! Perhaps Tim Dyson has an idea but perhaps he only identified a niche in the market place that required filling.

More crucially, is the collectibles market, and those interested in it, rising or falling? Are we attracting in new collectors over and above those departing (perhaps to another sphere!)? Certainly, prices seem to be firm and perhaps rising and this suggests demand exceeds supply - despite the licencing difficulties in Scotland, which will have briefly added a new source of supply from those who ceased their interest rather than incur the cost and bother of applying for a licence.

Great questions I’ve speculated about the same thing over here in the US. Doubt that you will see a study but there are areas that could be thought through that may give an indication of the hobby’s heath.

1. Are airgun shows increasing in size, staying the same or declining?

2. The evolution of collecting. Collecting is internet driven now. I am fairly new to Airgun collecting and I think the Airgun show was one of the main arenas where collectors gathered. That could still be the case but in the last two years the internet is where I have acquired most of my collection. Very hard to measure the demand here except through price movement.

3. What is the traffic, membership on internet collecting sites? That can be measured.

4. The question for the long term is whether the next generation will have an interest? Wonder what the average age is on these internet sites? It’s a very similar question vintage guitar collectors ask. We buy, collect the things we wanted in our youth. Will the digital generation even care about these old mechanical devices?

Magazine circulation

can give a rough idea.As far as I can tell,folk who subscribe regularly to a niche magazine generally have a 'collectors interest' in the topic. I can recall when 'air gun collecting' was just a branch of 'gun collecting,here in New Zealand. My first contact with an all-air gun collector was in 1979.The late Nevile Lodge O.B.E. had around 70 air pistols and 40 air rifles.An amazing number-to me ,at the time. I think we air gun collectors came out of the closet when Airgun World mag hit the book stores. I think the mid 1980s was a 'golden period' for air gun collectors-again here in NZ.Webley Service rifles for as low as $90NZ and Britannia's and Gems under the hundred as well. It was a time when collectors,doing a deal,would toss in a Daisy or Benjamin or Milbro as a,'sweetener'!

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    FWIW and it ain't a hill of beans, I've never met a collector any more than a few years younger than myself. I'm pretty close to fifty and probably started about seven or eight years ago.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    So is it an interest that kicks in when active shooting days become less feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    FWIW and it ain't a hill of beans, I've never met a collector any more than a few years younger than myself. I'm pretty close to fifty and probably started about seven or eight years ago.

Dave

I've been trading for three years now so have a rough idea on the situation in the collecting market. The market is fairly small and I find most of the customers at arms fairs are regulars at the events I attend. I rarely see young people coming along. The internet is good however. I have a different client base mainly people who don't come to arms fairs hence collect via auctions and gun websites. I think the market for older pre war stuff is slowing possibly due to the age of collector's. There is a market for classic 70s,80s,90s stuff these collector's now have the money to buy stuff they had, wanted and perhaps couldn't afford at the time ie nostalgia. Long term I see collecting declining as youngsters don't really collect anymore this I would imagine is the same with other collecting hobbies ie models, stamps etc. There is a bit of an issue now with this airgun licensing review people are worried at the long term future of our sport and ownership of Air Guns. I wouldn't want to be starting a business as a young man but at my time of life it should see me for a good few years yet.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    So is it an interest that kicks in when active shooting days become less feasible?
    Not in my case and I wouldn't say so. Collecting is an odd psychological condition.

Disposable income obviously comes into it and adequate storage space. Neither of which are in abundance when you're just starting to make your mark in the world.

Airguns and coincidentally action man are two of my collections where nostalgia plays a huge part.

As a youngster, I wasn't allowed an airgun but I had friends who were and shot shotguns on relatives land and airguns at fairs with my dad. I would see five pound gats in numerous shop windows and once mum and my sisters had finished with freemans and littlewoods catalogues, I would squirrel them off to my bedroom. Obviously the lingerie section got my attention first ( women have changed a lot since those days) and then it was the air rifles.

Nostalgia is strong with this one and I have made up for mothers erroneous decision since. Like action man, men (and women to be correct) coming into collecting don't have the same affection, as these things simply weren't part of their childhood.

Possibly they don't suffer the same psychological affliction either. My house is full of lovely old crap which has no current use whatsoever. Cameras, wind up gramophones, medicine bottles, novelty vestas, mouse traps, silver watch chains and fobs, microscopes, 33s, 78s, gramophone needle tins all over the place. I also collect stuff, just stuff. My latest acquisition from a trawl around Norwich's lanes is a foot tall plastic bunny girl who sings happy birthday and then flashes her threpnies at you. Useless but utterly magnificent.

Luckily I have a very sympathetic and understanding spouse who after many years truly understands my condition.

Face it gents we're a dying breed.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

This thread has raised some good questions. I found particularly interesting the responses of Flint45 and erichtfisherman in this respect, whilst cinedux has told us something about his experiences in NZ.

What is the situation, for instance, with this website? Is the readership rising, falling or remaining roughly stable? How many new contributors arrive each year, to replace those who fade away? Is the traffic rising or falling? I wonder if the Moderators, here, know the answer to some of these questions.

When the PCPs appeared, I rather expected springers to fade away but, happily, that has not been the case. As someone remarked here, springers have a soul. There are many, moreover, who have returned to collect springers, perhaps for nostalgic reasons, well into middle age and beyond.

Clearly, airgun fairs and the internet have enabled collectors to share views and opinions and both facilities have acted as rallying points for those who collect, whilst their presence has also allowed new people to discover more about the subject.

If airgun values are to be maintained, then it is essential to attract new collectors. However, over and beyond that, it would be pleasing to know that our hobby is at least stable and possibly expanding - perhaps because of the internet. Collectors keep alive the past, whether in cars, canals, antiques, clocks, old records, all manner of things and, not least, shooting.

Thumbs up

I've collected guns properly since I stopped smoking in 2006 (I was 48 then), Before that I had a very small collectiopn but couldn't really afford to collect them, When I was in my 20's/30's I deffo couldn't afford to collect as I had a young family, A mortgage and rubbish paying job!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Not in my case and I wouldn't say so. Collecting is an odd psychological condition.

Disposable income obviously comes into it and adequate storage space. Neither of which are in abundance when you're just starting to make your mark in the world.

Airguns and coincidentally action man are two of my collections where nostalgia plays a huge part.

As a youngster, I wasn't allowed an airgun but I had friends who were and shot shotguns on relatives land and airguns at fairs with my dad. I would see five pound gats in numerous shop windows and once mum and my sisters had finished with freemans and littlewoods catalogues, I would squirrel them off to my bedroom. Obviously the lingerie section got my attention first ( women have changed a lot since those days) and then it was the air rifles.

Nostalgia is strong with this one and I have made up for mothers erroneous decision since. Like action man, men (and women to be correct) coming into collecting don't have the same affection, as these things simply weren't part of their childhood.

Possibly they don't suffer the same psychological affliction either. My house is full of lovely old crap which has no current use whatsoever. Cameras, wind up gramophones, medicine bottles, novelty vestas, mouse traps, silver watch chains and fobs, microscopes, 33s, 78s, gramophone needle tins all over the place. I also collect stuff, just stuff. My latest acquisition from a trawl around Norwich's lanes is a foot tall plastic bunny girl who sings happy birthday and then flashes her threpnies at you. Useless but utterly magnificent.

Luckily I have a very sympathetic and understanding spouse who after many years truly understands my condition.

Face it gents we're a dying breed.

Dave
    With you on that lot Dave !

I've recently bought a great big glass Carbouy off "that site", the type they used to store/transport chemical fluids in, ammonia and stuff !
    Some folk put lights in them or wine corks but I like it simply as it is, and its beautiful !
    “An airgun or two”………

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Dave
    Am I the youngest person in this sub-forum?
    33 and a 1/4
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    33 and a 1/4
    I think that makes you less than half the average age.

PS a few years ago I asked about the age of people in this section:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ectables-crowd
    Last edited by Garvin; 16-02-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    33 and a 1/4
    Thought that was me at 43?

Binners is 107 you know....
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.