Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
I collect and rarely shoot. Although my guns aint mint but are good condition. But i must admit one thing i do still have in my memory the smell of the gun oil when as a 14yr old my mum bought me a webley hawk mk2 with both barrels out of one of the catalouges that use to sell them back in the 70's. So understand why some are drawn to boxed unused examples. Weird that memory and smell still sticks with me 41yrs later
I know exactly what you mean with the smell thing. My first evening attending the Army Cadets, when I was 13 (1978), the SI got out the DP Lee Enfields to do a lesson, the smell of those rifles was unique. The next time I smelled that smell was when I bought a mucky old MkII Service from a little gunshop just outside Gosport in about 1995. As soon as it hit my nostrills, I was transported back to that cadet hut.
The only other thing that gets me like that is the Queen song, "I Want To Break Free". As soon as I hear that I'm back in the NAAFI Bar in Herford, Germany, and I can almost taste the Younger's Bitter that was my preferred tipple at the time.