Thread: Collecting: shooters or lookers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Collecting is a never ending hobby....

you aquire a gun-then you find out about how it was made,how it compares to others of the same era-even those by the same maker.Why it has a 'port' here or a screw there.Look at the patents,compare to similar ones.Read the manufacturing history and ups and downs experienced by the maker.Collect up the articles written by fellow collectors. All the time,aquire information. Half a dozen different guns can keep you going for ages.Personally,I've probably owned,played with,dismantled etc thousands of air guns. In hindsight,very seldom a dull moment!(I'd be dishonest if I didn't admit to wrecking a few pieces whilst discovering how they work!) I look around my toy room now.Very few guns are cocked or shot but I still love handling them.Yep,and 'knowing' them!

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    you aquire a gun-then you find out about how it was made,how it compares to others of the same era-even those by the same maker.Why it has a 'port' here or a screw there.Look at the patents,compare to similar ones.Read the manufacturing history and ups and downs experienced by the maker.Collect up the articles written by fellow collectors. All the time,aquire information. Half a dozen different guns can keep you going for ages.Personally,I've probably owned,played with,dismantled etc thousands of air guns. In hindsight,very seldom a dull moment!(I'd be dishonest if I didn't admit to wrecking a few pieces whilst discovering how they work!) I look around my toy room now.Very few guns are cocked or shot but I still love handling them.Yep,and 'knowing' them!
    Trevor is obviously a similar sort of collector to me, and I can emphasise with everything he says, but I have to admit that although I am interested in anything airgun related, when it comes to serious collecting I only have eyes for spring air pistols. In this respect I have become something of a “box ticker”. I had always been interested in air pistols, but could only start collecting in my forties due to the usual family and financial commitments. Eventually, having built up a sizeable collection, I decided to write the Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols, and after several years of research and liaising with many collectors worldwide it was eventually published. This listed all known and documented spring pistols at the time, and gave me a new collecting challenge - to try to get one example of every model of gun listed in the book, excepting one-offs. With limited cash and some wheeling and dealing I have managed to work my way through about 80% of the list, with about 320 items to house, and leaving currently about 40 on my near-impossible bucket list. I know I will never get all 40, and even if I did, more unknown models will only turn up, but it is fun trying. For me, variety is the spice of life. As far as shooting my guns goes, I do this mainly to evaluate their performance characteristics. I also like to continue with my research, I enjoy taking the guns apart, repairing and restoring if necessary, and I have even resorted to making my own copies in the case of certain completely unobtainable guns.. Where a box has to be ticked, a poor quality example is fine by me if I know another one may not turn up for years. Generally I am happy with a well used gun as long as it is honest. If the cosmetic condition of a must-have offends me, or if it is non-functioning then I will carry out sympathetic restoration. All a great way of spending one’s retirement.

Originality is important, condition then depends what you want but the better the condition the higher the premium it will demand. Condition holds value the higher it is. Then there is rarity.
    Some rifles do have an appeal if new. I tend to think that starts from about 1980, just because modern manufacture doesn't always stay looking good once roughed up. Patina or tatty???

Well I had 40 plus rifles, and another 40 to get them, but now I have about ten. I only need to shoot about five to quench my need for shooting, as so many I found too similar or just not up to my tac driving love.
    Other collectors have a completely different take. One of every kind and model. Only the most beautiful. Whatever floats your boat. Some twenty of the same rifle.

Best bit is whatever your angle, rarely do you lose anything. Maybe less of a return than money in the bank but at least not a loss. Most of the return is just the enjoyment each one gives. That will do me.

I have a few I shoot monthly. And I have several I dont shoot. But all are ready to go. That I do not shoot them is because of circumstances, not choice.
    ATB,
    yana

I've 4 rifles and a dozen webley pistols, all shoot able but some are just not pleasant to shoot.
    When I shoot I pick up a HW35/80 or my original webley premier E bought for Xmas back in 1974.....
    Both the most fun to shoot.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I'm slightly surprised, but glad to hear that most of you shoot your collection
    Good deals with these members

I only own one spring rifle for HFT and a PCP for for when its pouring with rain on a competition.
    I don't wan't to ruin my hold sensitivity for shooting the springer by owning and shooting various rifles so I'm keeping it at that (I'm considering maybe buying a FWB Sport 124 for classic HFT comps someday)

However I've got around 28 vintage air pistols and they all have to be shot.
    I use a FWB 90 for Pistol hft, a FWB 100 for 10 meter, and all the others get taken to the club in rotation for general plinking. The variety of design and mechanism of these mainly spring powered air pistols is for me a source of continuing enjoyment.
    I do get a bit nervous shooting with the Minters but I find the rule that they have to be shot helps keep the collection under control. Any reasonably common one's that I don't shoot regularly will get sold on.

I also find that shooting them encourages me to get them working to the best of their potential which can lead to some enjoyable research, servicing and restoration.

I feel that these things were made to be shot and that I'm doing them a service by keeping them 'alive.' but each to their own.

.....also pistols take up much less room.

Matt.

I have about 300 rifles and pistols and try to shoot them all! I will need a massive book if licensing comes in; or perhaps the Police will give the likes of me the choice of ten!!!!!!!!!! Like the Brock collector who had 24!!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    defo shooters.. I actaully prefer slightly rough or damaged stuff as I love the challenge of getting them working, shooting nicely, often better than they would have been originally, without fear of devaluing them
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Collecting is a very strange phenomenon. The urge to acquire. Do I need three Sterling HR81s? No (does anyone?). But do I want three HR81s? The answer is yes. Why, I'm not sure. I enjoy outdoors shoots, mostly in the summer. As an archaeologist I've my share of wet, rainy, muddy, snowy fields and ditches in winter.

Oh yes, one other thing, restoration of old abused guns. Began with air guns, but I now do antique firearms too. Currently dealing with a Nepalese Francotte Martini, and a sad Relum break barrel. All very satisfying.

They all must shoot and be shot.

Even my Sterling which I actually like in a weird way.