Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
I shoot all my modest collection of around twenty air rifles/pistols. I have no "cabinet queens" though all are in good order with a couple of real Beauts !
Personally the real value of owning a nice "gun" is to use it, ok, be careful but use it for what it was intended for and get as much pleasure as you can, afterall, you're a long time dead !
Exactly right! They were meant to be used!

For a long time I wanted a Centenary Airsporter (not that I thought it was the best Airsporter mind - I believe none were better than a good Mk1) - never thought I would ever get one as mint boxed ones go for far more money than I would ever spend on an air rifle - plenty of them around but who would buy one, use it and half it's value?
I eventually bought a 'shooter' locally off a collector who was selling off his collection, he also had a 'minter' and had sold a few others.
The 'shooter' was in good nice condition and was a price I was happy with after some 'negotiation', I don't think I paid over the odds, I chose it over the 'minter' as I wanted to be able to shoot it.
Unfortunately, I admit that personal circumstances and the lack of ranges around these parts has meant that I just haven't been able to shoot my rifles lately - hopefully, soon that will be rectified!
For me, at the moment, the pleasure is in owning and being able to handle some nice old pieces of craftsmanship, some of my rifles are as old or are older than me. The smell of them, the feel of them and the pleasure of ownership is enough, but hopefully, they will be used as intended as circumstances permit!

Each to their own though, what's right for one isn't necessarily right for all!

ASM